• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will TotK be a launch title for the next Nintendo system?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
They’d have to announce, market, and launch an entire system within 5 months if they wanted TotK to remain relevant enough to justify it being a launch title. Otherwise they would have to port the game, which would probably hamper sales.

I do think that a new console is coming much sooner than people realize, but not soon enough that TotK is going to be a launch title. A new 3D Mario is much more likely for a launch title seeing as how we haven’t had one in 6 years and they still haven’t announced a new one. Metroid Prime 4 is also a reasonable possibility, though it might not be a heavy enough hitter to be the headline title and could be pushed back to a month or so later.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
They’d have to announce, market, and launch an entire system within 5 months if they wanted TotK to remain relevant enough to justify it being a launch title. Otherwise they would have to port the game, which would probably hamper sales.

I do think that a new console is coming much sooner than people realize, but not soon enough that TotK is going to be a launch title. A new 3D Mario is much more likely for a launch title seeing as how we haven’t had one in 6 years and they still haven’t announced a new one. Metroid Prime 4 is also a reasonable possibility, though it might not be a heavy enough hitter to be the headline title and could be pushed back to a month or so later.
Honestly, I'd prefer that. I detest the hype cycle of deliberate withholding of information. If a console manufacturer announced a system five months before release, I'd think more of them then the same manufacturer waxing vague rumors of "pro" consoles over a two year period.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Honestly, I'd prefer that. I detest the hype cycle of deliberate withholding of information. If a console manufacturer announced a system five months before release, I'd think more of them then the same manufacturer waxing vague rumors of "pro" consoles over a two year period.
Marketing a product as major as a game console is a process that absolutely takes more than 5 months. There are a ton of necessary things that they can’t or at the very least probably shouldn’t do before they actually announce the thing. Marketing campaigns, retailer deals, shipping to said retailers, third party developers, most of this pretty much has to be done in the time frame from reveal to a few days before launch, and while that’s technically possible I don’t fault console manufacturers for taking longer as it’s certainly not a simple task. As nice as it would be, it’s not going to happen nor should it.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Personally I think it’s fake. I don't think Nintendo will keep quiet about this with only 5 months left. But who knows...
I’m willing to believe the leaks of the Zelda oled because weren’t the pokemon and Splatoon oleds announced only a couple months before the game came out?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Marketing a product as major as a game console is a process that absolutely takes more than 5 months. There are a ton of necessary things that they can’t or at the very least probably shouldn’t do before they actually announce the thing. Marketing campaigns, retailer deals, shipping to said retailers, third party developers, most of this pretty much has to be done in the time frame from reveal to a few days before launch, and while that’s technically possible I don’t fault console manufacturers for taking longer as it’s certainly not a simple task. As nice as it would be, it’s not going to happen nor should it.
You're right, but it's a cycle I hate. I'm detached from those hype cycles and jaded from disappointment, so the months of hype and teaser trailers mean nothing to me. I see them as the equivalent of a pre-rendered teaser trailer for a game: a trailer for nothing.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Welp
*leans back and pours myself a glass of peanut-butter whiskey mixed with vanilla cream soda*
I may have been 'partially' correct because reportedly the Switch Pro development has been cancelled and a new console may be in production soon.

According to John Lineman a new system may be starting development.
(~linked above~)

However he also states that 2023 may not be the release window.
So perhaps 2024 will mark another roughly 7-year gap between consoles like we had seen between the Famicom and Super Famicom?

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I do think that the Switch missing out on a dedicated Legend of Zelda game would be a bit of a morale hit. Age of Calamity hits exactly where I'd want a new Zelda game to hit, but with the sort of Warriors gameplay that I find kind of bland. Making BotW2 another inter-generational game would hammer in how big the gap between releases is.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly, I think it would be really, really funny if they released a TotK switch model and then released a new console a year later. Can you imagine buying a 300 dollar console only to have the next gen hardware come out right after you do? Can you imagine?

Just doesn't seem practical, is all I'm sayin'. I dunno if there's a precedent for that or not. I know I would be kinda pissed and it'd probably make me wait a few years to buy the new console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom