• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Spirit Tracks Split the Timeline Again?

JBX9001

The Hero of Stars
This is something that's been on my mind ever since I beat The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for the first time. Before you board the Demon Train in the Dark Realm for the final battle, Zelda asks Link what he wishes to do after their adventure is over. You can choose to either go back to being a train engineer or remain a swordsman (or say you're not sure); in the game itself, this choice only slightly changes the epilogue, but I sense something is up regardless. Basically, I'm trying to predict whether this simple answer to Zelda's question will once again cause a split in the official timeline. For example, let's say some new evil shows up some time after the events of Spirit Tracks; if Link remained a swordsman, he would still be able to take on this threat and would more than likely have become one of Hyrule Castle's top soldiers (which in itself could be the plot for a new game). But if he remained an engineer and was far away by the time this evil shows up (or some centuries pass by and Link's ways of the sword became lost to his descendants), we could wind up with a second Decline Timeline! That's not to say choosing to be a train engineer is the bad decision, but that's just one example I could come up with. What do you guys think? Whether you agree or disagree, let me know!

The way I see it, the ending is mostly superficial. Link is carrying two careers at that point in the story. He isn't really one or the other, but both. He is basically a continuation of his mentor, Alfonzo. Whatever he chooses, he can still wear both hats (so to speak) if necessary. It also seems to imply that whatever the choice, he remains in contact with Zelda. (And while I consider myself a Zelink skeptic for the most part, that game was pretty darn obvious.)

In the real world, private businessmen can be called into military service if they've volunteered as such. I'm sure if Link had to be called back into action, there would be no issue. (Assuming he doesn't randomly derail the train and kill himself.)

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
An interesting theory. I would believe it, but for one thing: the game wasn't very pivotal in the overall storyline of the series. It wasn't as big as OoT or WW. Still a great theory though.

I see where you are going with this. It's a possible route that Nintendo could create. However, I think those who created the Zelda timeline are probably going to try and avoid another timeline split if at all possible. They already have one timeline split into three different timelines which gives them plenty of room to create fresh ideas. In regards to games after Spirit Tracks, I think they would probably take a more futuristic route, meaning a more technologically advanced Hyrule, without creating another timesplit. If for some reason the Zelda team can't figure out a place for a new game in the timeline, then I could see them splitting the timeline again somewhere, like after Spirit Tracks. I don't think it will happen, but it could happen.

In regards to games after Spirit Tracks, I think they would probably take a more futuristic route, meaning a more technologically advanced Hyrule, without creating another timesplit.

Personally I'm rooting for a space-age Toon Link. XD

But yeah, I think Spirit Tracks already has a logical possibilites for timeline continuation.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I see no immediate cause for it to be used to add another timeline split, but sometime in the future it could be used to maybe make another one. If anything it wouldn't cause a split with a downfall scenario, the timeline would lead straight into it ending with Link dying and having to be reincarnated once more.

JBX9001

The Hero of Stars
The way I see it, the ending is mostly superficial. Link is carrying two careers at that point in the story. He isn't really one or the other, but both. He is basically a continuation of his mentor, Alfonzo. Whatever he chooses, he can still wear both hats (so to speak) if necessary. It also seems to imply that whatever the choice, he remains in contact with Zelda. (And while I consider myself a Zelink skeptic for the most part, that game was pretty darn obvious.)

In the real world, private businessmen can be called into military service if they've volunteered as such. I'm sure if Link had to be called back into action, there would be no issue. (Assuming he doesn't randomly derail the train and kill himself.)

Good point there, it is possible for one to have two jobs!

An interesting theory. I would believe it, but for one thing: the game wasn't very pivotal in the overall storyline of the series. It wasn't as big as OoT or WW. Still a great theory though.

I guess so, especially considering it's currently the last game in the Adult Timeline; Triforce Heroes might take place after Spirit Tracks since it also uses the "Toon" art style, but not too much has been explained about its story yet.

I see where you are going with this. It's a possible route that Nintendo could create. However, I think those who created the Zelda timeline are probably going to try and avoid another timeline split if at all possible. They already have one timeline split into three different timelines which gives them plenty of room to create fresh ideas. In regards to games after Spirit Tracks, I think they would probably take a more futuristic route, meaning a more technologically advanced Hyrule, without creating another timesplit. If for some reason the Zelda team can't figure out a place for a new game in the timeline, then I could see them splitting the timeline again somewhere, like after Spirit Tracks. I don't think it will happen, but it could happen.

It would make sense to try and avoid a split in the timeline if at all possible, to keep from confusing the fans. And "Future Hyrule" sounds awesome! I'd love to see that!

I see no immediate cause for it to be used to add another timeline split, but sometime in the future it could be used to maybe make another one. If anything it wouldn't cause a split with a downfall scenario, the timeline would lead straight into it ending with Link dying and having to be reincarnated once more.

Hmmm, that's interesting...

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I don't believe there should be a split after ST. I believe only the swordsman choice is canon and that the options to stay an engineer and unsure are in there just for the fun of sweet replay value.

I believe that if any game is to cause another split, it will be Zelda U. I'll explain why later.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
What the hell, I don't remember facing a decision about this in Spirit Tracks. But either way, the only real split was with the Child and Adult timeline, since we KNOW at the end OoT, Link is not killed by Ganon. The events of the Decline timeline is one big "what-if" scenario. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not canon. When it comes to Spirit Tracks, a Decline era after Spirit Tracks is unlikely because Link is almost never starts as a swordsman in any game, he has the Spirit of the Goddesses' chosen Hero (past Links) inside him, so that gives him his skill with the Sword, his descendants not having his skill with the sword doesn't add up, then.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
What the hell, I don't remember facing a decision about this in Spirit Tracks. But either way, the only real split was with the Child and Adult timeline, since we KNOW at the end OoT, Link is not killed by Ganon. The events of the Decline timeline is one big "what-if" scenario. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not canon. When it comes to Spirit Tracks, a Decline era after Spirit Tracks is unlikely because Link is almost never starts as a swordsman in any game, he has the Spirit of the Goddesses' chosen Hero (past Links) inside him, so that gives him his skill with the Sword, his descendants not having his skill with the sword doesn't add up, then.
But not all Links are related (confirmed by WW). So the spirit of the hero isn't tied to a bloodline.

Kylo Ken

But not all Links are related (confirmed by WW). So the spirit of the hero isn't tied to a bloodline.

Very good point, but it doesn't change what I said. He still has the spirit of the Hero (past Links) inside of him, because he's still the chosen one.

VitaTempusN92

1) I hate it when people keep bringing the whole "what if" scenario nonsense in regards to Decline Timeline. I'm sorry but have an intolerance problem towards "what if" scenario ideas, especially when it comes Zelda! Seriously, why do people have make such stupid assumptions based on Nintendo's poor way of explaining the Decline Timeline. So, Nintendo's explanation of the Decline Timeline is poor. That doesn't mean that isn't more to as to why such timeline even exists. Nintendo just stupidly decided to give a poor explanation at the time, that's all. They can fix that mistake once more games come out.

This is why I follow by the idea that OoT isn't the imprisoning war, nor what caused it, but rather, instead, OoT is actually the parallel to the events of the imprisoning war era. I believe that the Imprisoning is actually the Decline Timeline's Hyrulean Civil War. Yes, I believe it makes more sense that Decline Timeline branched off a split that occurred before OoT. And no, I'm not talking about that stupid SS split theory, I'm talking a completely different split theory that I came up with.

2) The Decline Timeline IS canon! HH confirmed!

3) That's just a cultural/traditional way of saying that all Links have a spiritual bond or connection to each other. That doesn't mean they are all the same guy. I believe TP and HH both debunked the idea of all Links being the same in spirit. So all the Links do not actually share the spirit, it's a traditional metaphor for saying they're all connected somehow, hence, one of the reasons for the name Link. Think of it as like school spirit or holiday spirit, except with a line of heroes instead, who are mostly all completely different people but sharing and continuing the same legacy line of heroes, in like a traditional school/holiday spirit kind of way, out of honor and respect for each other. Gosh, I hate it when people take the whole "Spirit of the Hero" thing too literally.

Note: I am not trying to be offense in any kind of way. This is all just purely my opinion. Enough said.

Kylo Ken

I disagree that it's a "stupid" assumption, it's actually pretty simple to me. It's clear that Link doesn't die at the end of OoT, the proof is right there, because Ganon just doesn't kill him. There's only one Ocarina of Time story, to say otherwise is to also say that there more than one LoZ story, AoL story, ALTTP story, LA story, etc. (In which case, JBX's theory will be true and all I said will be wrong). So, since the decline timeline operates under the event that Link is defeated at the end of OoT, and we all know that event never happened, then it's clear that the Decline timeline never really happened, and is just a case in which they'd show us what would happen if such an event did occur, which again, it didn't. That's why I say it isn't canon.

VitaTempusN92

I disagree that it's a "stupid" assumption, it's actually pretty simple to me. It's clear that Link doesn't die at the end of OoT, the proof is right there, because Ganon just doesn't kill him. There's only one Ocarina of Time story, to say otherwise is to also say that there more than one LoZ story, AoL story, ALTTP story, LA story, etc. (In which case, JBX's theory will be true and all I said will be wrong). So, since the decline timeline operates under the event that Link is defeated at the end of OoT, and we all know that event never happened, then it's clear that the Decline timeline never really happened, and is just a case in which they'd show us what would happen if such an event did occur, which again, it didn't. That's why I say it isn't canon.

*facepalms*

1) That only proves how the Adult Timeline and Child came to exist. That doesn't prove anything in regards to the Decline Timeline except the FACT that OoT has NOTHING to do with the Decline Timeline's existence. Simply meaning that the Decline Timeline could NOT have branched off of OoT because the there is too much evidence in the games and they're backstories (specifically ALttP's and ALBW's) proving that said Timeline branch NEVER branched off of OoT to begin with. Nintendo's poor explanation of the Decline Timeline and said timeline supposedly branching from OoT is just a placeholder excuse until they come out with an installment confirming how the Decline Timeline actually exists. HH proves that the Decline Timeline has to have existed in the Zelda Multi-verse somehow. And the only way that's possible is if it did not branch from OoT, cause there is NOTHING in OoT explaining how the Decline Timeline could possibly exist from it, since we all KNOW that in OoT, Ganondorf NEVER got the full Triforce and that Link won successfully, with ease.

2) Yes. But that doesn't mean there can't be a story that exist alternatively and PARALLEL to OoT. So basically now you're saying that only either the Adult Timeline or Child Timeline (only one of the two) can be canon, post split? So you're saying that you believe in a linear timeline? I think you misunderstood me and now you're going too overboard about it. Calm down dude before you drive me overboard as well. Just saying cause you're that close in doing so.

3) My point was, HH confirmed the Decline Timeline is canon somehow. The Decline Timeline exists, it happened! It wouldn't be in HH at all if that wasn't the case. This excludes Nintendo's poor explanation for Decline Timeline.

Note: Again, this is my opinion. I mean no offense in any kind of way, shape, or form.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
*facepalms*

1) That only proves how the Adult Timeline and Child came to exist. That doesn't prove anything in regards to the Decline Timeline except the FACT that OoT has NOTHING to do with the Decline Timeline's existence. Simply meaning that the Decline Timeline could NOT have branched off of OoT because the there is too much evidence in the games and they're backstories (specifically ALttP's and ALBW's) proving that said Timeline branch NEVER branched off of OoT to begin with. Nintendo's poor explanation of the Decline Timeline and said timeline supposedly branching from OoT is just a placeholder excuse until they come out with an installment confirming how the Decline Timeline actually exists. HH proves that the Decline Timeline has to have existed in the Zelda Multi-verse somehow. And the only way that's possible is if it did not branch from OoT, cause there is NOTHING in OoT explaining how the Decline Timeline could possibly exist from it, since we all KNOW that in OoT, Ganondorf NEVER got the full Triforce and that Link won successfully, with ease.

2) Yes. But that doesn't mean there can't be a story that exist alternatively and PARALLEL to OoT. So basically now you're saying that only either the Adult Timeline or Child Timeline (only one of the two) can be canon, post split? So you're saying that you believe in a linear timeline? I think you misunderstood me and now you're going too overboard about it. Calm down dude before you drive me overboard as well. Just saying cause you're that close in doing so.

3) My point was, HH confirmed the Decline Timeline is canon somehow. The Decline Timeline exists, it happened! It wouldn't be in HH at all if that wasn't the case. This excludes Nintendo's poor explanation for Decline Timeline.

Note: Again, this is my opinion. I mean no offense in any kind of way, shape, or form.
HH also confirmed the DT broke off from OoT because Ganon/dorf killed Link. It specifically states that. You can't accept half of it and leave the other half as "a placeholder". It's all or nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom