• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Skyward Sword Remain the "Series Prequel"?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So we all know that Skyward Sword is now the first game chronologically in the Zelda series but do you think it will remain that way?

We all know Nintendo never likes to limit their options when it comes to Zelda games and even with the release of the official timeline there is still plenty of space for many Zelda games. Now notice how this game was mostly about the origns of the "master sword" even though it was meant to be the orign story, if anything Skyward Sword was based around the origin of the Master Sword not Link!

Now there is one scene in Skyward Sword that actually mentions a past hero The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - The Wing Ceremony - YouTube *Skip to 10:00 (May Contain Spoilers)

So during the ceremony Zelda hands Link the Sailcloth, however she briefly mentions that Hylia gave this to her previous hero or choice...Now this for me clearly hints that there is indeed a past hero, now whether that hero is Link is another question. There is also the question of the Hero's attire in Skyward Sword, it seems that all the members of the Knights Academy are wearing a different coloured version of the Hero's clothes. Now we also saw this happen in OoT with the Kokiri and in TWW in the coming of age tale, so could it be that a past hero started the tradition carried on in the Knights Academy?

Now the main Question is will Nintendo actually make another prequel? Tell me your thoughts on this...Do you think this is possible? Or do you think that Skyward Sword aill always remain the orign tale of the Zelda series?

I love the contradiction of a 'past hero' and a game that comes before SS since it'd negate the canonicity of Demise's Curse (which Aonuma says is canon but i say the hell with that). I don't think there will be a prequel to SS any time soon, Zelda rarely sells itself on its story but i remember the Tv spot saying 'this is where it all began' (which made me laugh but moving on) so i think it'll be quite a while before we see a game before SS, i'm not going to say we never will though because its nintendo and just one Zelda game can complete re-arrange the timeline if it wanted to so.. but yeah i'm pretty sure we'll get a game placed before SS at some point but not any time soon.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Because of how the events turned out, I believe that the past hero is the Link that got the sailcoth at the wing ceremony.
Which created a paradox similar to that of the song of storms.

But Nintendo always keeps it's options open, So another prequel isn't implausible.

I'd like for Skyward Sword to remain the series prequel. A well executed prequel is hard to come by; Nintendo already fumbled with Zelda's origin story once, there is no need for a repeat.

There aren't any plot developments to be explored in a prequel either other than the war between Demise and Hylia. While the current timeline is a cluster, Nintendo shouldn't convolute it anymore.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I love the contradiction of a 'past hero' and a game that comes before SS since it'd negate the canonicity of Demise's Curse (which Aonuma says is canon but i say the hell with that).
hmm, what did Aonuma say about it? A past hero wouldn't negate the curse since Demise didn't cast it right there and then. In fact, he wasn't even the first person to tell you about it. Fi alluded to it partway through the game when she first described Demise to you. So really the "canonicity of Demise's Curse" demands there to be previous heroes. And they could certainly make more games out of it. The only real limitations they'd have would be the lack of the Master Sword, Hyrule Kingdom, and a divine Zelda.

Yes, I believe that Skyward Sword will remain as the series prequel for a long time because it has the origins of the Master Sword, the appearance of the first Link and Zelda, an ancient demon responsible for Ganondorf's rise, and much more. Before Skyward Sword, we only have the story of the Ancient Battle between Goddess Hylia and the Demon King Demise. To make a game before Skyward Sword would be harder to do because it either would require a huge retcon (not that Nintendo hasn't done that before) to make a traditional Zelda game or dramatically change the Zelda formula to such a huge degree. It'll be much easier to make a sequel to Skyward Sword than a prequel to Skyward Sword.

That isn't to say it's not possible to make an earlier prequel. Hyrule Historia has the Skyward Sword Prequel Manga by Akira Himekawa, which features an earlier Link who served during the time of the Ancient Battle. Though it's disputed whether or not the manga is canonical, it does shows hints of what a Skyward Sword prequel game might be like, such as the forging of the Goddess Sword by Link(known as the Master Sword in the manga), the brief conflict with Demise, the rising of the Skyloft, and the death of Link. So it is possible for Nintendo to go back on their word and make another prequel but I think it won't be for a while. They focus on making the games first and then story later. Skyward Sword's tale of the Master Sword is the result of it's new Wii motion control plus while Spirit Track's Phantom Zelda might have been the result of the touch stylus controls.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think it will be the prequel in the same way Ocarina of Time was the series prequal, albeit it was more heavily emphasized as a prequel. Nintendo kept option open. The HH manga at least shows they've seriously thought about what happened before SS. I want to see the actual creation of Hyrule: The goddesses creating the world and returning to the nebula. The creation of the races of Hyrule, the rise of the Hylians, and the war against Demise. This would be awesome, and I it will be made, maybe after Zelda Wii U I.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Definitely for a good long while. It's possible another prequel will come along to explain what's come to be known as the Imprisoning War, but that could also either be explained in a backstory or never be explained at all. It's a mystery whether or not Skyward Sword will remain as the first game on the timeline forever or not, but there's no doubt it will be for at least as long as Ocarina of Time was.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I wasn't sure, but reading some responses, people have convinced me. SS was supposed to be the beginning so while it may be possible to get another prequel, there probably won't be one for quite a while. I'm glad I could contribute to this thread by repeating what everyone else has said.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
There are several pieces if evidence that prove this could be true. But, did nobody else take it as this being the first mortal life Hylia has lived. That is the way I took it, and they state how the goddess gave Link the sailcloth (i.e. Zelda) so this may be a paradox like others have said. As I said, if Zelda is the "first Hylia" then there couldn't very well be a prior and a Zelda game without Zelda isn't a Zelda game. Ghirahim must have been alive all these years after Demise's seal, he is Demise's sword, and there is clearly been a long while since he has been sealed. So in an instance of Hylia living previous Why wouldn't he have been able to find other incarnations of Hylia?

Sorry if it is confusing. But don't try to ask me for evidence on the previous lives theory. I do not believe that theory.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
So during the ceremony Zelda hands Link the Sailcloth, however she briefly mentions that Hylia gave this to her previous hero or choice...Now this for me clearly hints that there is indeed a past hero, now whether that hero is Link is another question.
I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I remember inferring that the hero she referred to was SS-Link, since he went back in time.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I remember inferring that the hero she referred to was SS-Link, since he went back in time.

See I did think about this but the ceremony is a reenactment of the original scene were Hylia herself gives the sailcloth to her chosen hero. When we play as Link in Skyward Sword we go back in time to save Zelda and defeat Demise at this current time Demise is sealed away and Hylia is no more so this couldn't have been the moment of where Hylia chooses her Hero.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Maybe they're referencing the manga in HH that came out about the same time as the game. It's possible that's canon, or that there is a prequel following a similar premise.

Spoiler Alert.
For those of you not hardcore enough to get HH, here's a synopsis: A boy named Link is imprisoned for four years when he predicts a danger attacking the land of Hylia. The goddess does nothing intervene and or warn the people. Then Demise and the demon's attack. Link is released and suits up in the clothes we-know-so-well. Then Hylia comes and gives him the master sword, and he goes to fight Demise. He is gravely injured before he is saved by Hylia's Loftwing. Then Hylia tears the land of Hylia from the ground, and Link uses the Master Sword to send it into the Sky, before he collapses and dies. Eventually Hylia defeats Ganon, and she decides to have both her and Link reborn whenever the people are in peril. It's not officially canon, but it is a great story.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
See I did think about this but the ceremony is a reenactment of the original scene were Hylia herself gives the sailcloth to her chosen hero. When we play as Link in Skyward Sword we go back in time to save Zelda and defeat Demise at this current time Demise is sealed away and Hylia is no more so this couldn't have been the moment of where Hylia chooses her Hero.
Timeline splits and paradoxes aside, the event itself needn't happen in the past - the tale of the event merely had to be passed down through the ages until the present. The tale of the present event may have entered the past with Zelda, Link, Impa, etc. It's certainly not a great argument but eh, occam's razor.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Maybe they're referencing the manga in HH that came out about the same time as the game. It's possible that's canon, or that there is a prequel following a similar premise.

Spoiler Alert.
For those of you not hardcore enough to get HH, here's a synopsis: A boy named Link is imprisoned for four years when he predicts a danger attacking the land of Hylia. The goddess does nothing intervene and or warn the people. Then Demise and the demon's attack. Link is released and suits up in the clothes we-know-so-well. Then Hylia comes and gives him the master sword, and he goes to fight Demise. He is gravely injured before he is saved by Hylia's Loftwing. Then Hylia tears the land of Hylia from the ground, and Link uses the Master Sword to send it into the Sky, before he collapses and dies. Eventually Hylia defeats Ganon, and she decides to have both her and Link reborn whenever the people are in peril. It's not officially canon, but it is a great story.

Its all good quoting the Manga from Hyrule Historia but am afraid this isn't canon nor was it officially made by Nintendo....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom