• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will PlayStation 4 Suck?

Nerion

Nerion Saiarion
Greetings, fellow gamers! As PlayStation 4 will launch next year, I've been thinking about buing it. But I've heard that the PS4 will suck. No new features, you can not play PS1, 2 or 3 games on it. And the game you have can't be borrowed or used on other systems. Is this true?

(If there already is a thread like this, feel free to remove this one.)

Dan

Who did you hear this from... I don't believe there's been much talk about it, nor many rumors. I suspect it would have new features if not... how's it suppose to sell, nah I'm certain you will be able to play ps1 and ps2 games via emulation. Since the new console I imagine will have the same digital network to play your old classics.

And the game you have can't be borrowed or used on other systems.
There was a rumor about this with the new xbox conso|e, would not surprise me if sony did the same. I'm already tired of how much consoles are becoming more and more restrictive, I hope they don't. :I

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
How am I supposed to know this if no games have even been talked about for it yet?

If it has games like the PS3 then I think the PS4 will do great.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
None of this is confirmed and we don't even know if the PS4 is close to ready for a reveal (Sony would've said something by now). The tidbit about used games not being playable, that's also a heavily speculated rumor. Some developers (EA is the first that comes to mind) are curbing used game sales by requiring online passes among other things, but I do not believe that the PS4 or Nextbox will make it so that used games cannot be played at all. That'd hurt game developers, system sales and in the long term, Sony themselves.

Here's a better question: Will there be a Playstation 4?

The PS3 has hit its stride in the past few years and Sony is by no means financially able to invest in an entire system that will most likely cost billions to produce.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Judging by Sony's track record, I see no reason to believe the PS4 will suck. It's definitely possible Sony could lay a goose egg with their next console, but it's not very likely. Each of their consoles has had tremendous success. I can only see their next one doing the same.

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
In response to your question, I think it will, because while the PS1, PS2, and to an extent the PSP were great, Sony's thinking as of late has been something like, "LOOLGRAPHICSGRAPHICSGRAPHICSLOOOLSCREWGAMEPLAYGRAPHICSGRAPHICSGRAPHICSLOOLUJELLYNINTENDO?'

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
These are all rumors, and it's far too early to make assumptions. Maybe in February Next year, maybe then would be a good time for assumptions. I doubt it'll do terribly, but not as well, as sony has gone downhill in recent years.

I was wondering about that myself, and here's my view on that question.

I guess because of the success of the PS3 and what it's capable of respectively, I just can't see what the PS4 could improve on, so in my view making another console might be a waste of money. The same applies for the Xbox 360 and it's supposed Xbox 720.

I think it'll depend on power vs. cost. Nintendo with the Wii U has managed to squeeze out amazing power for a low price. If Sony releases the uber powerhouse that they have been hinting at, they will be in a similar situation with the launch of the PS3. Sony is also in financial trouble, more than 15 billion dollars in debt, so they can't afford to release an expensive and extremely powerful game console. More than than likely, they will release a console that will be as if not slightly more powerful than the Wii U for roughly the same price. As for the console not being able to play used games, that's just a rumor and a rumor only. As far as new innovative features, first off, I think they will ditch the dualshock controller, and also, I think they will make the console cloud-based. All in all though, we can't truly judge how good the console will be until it is officially revealed, most likely at E3 2013.

Ignoring the rumors presented by this thread, I believe Sony will follow a path similar to the PS3. The Vita proved the company hasn't learned higher prices don't appeal to consumers. Most likely, Sony will release a pricey system which solely the niche of Playstation loyalists will purchase on launch or even during its first year. Acknowledging lower sales, Sony will slash the price of its console and aim for more exclusive third party deals as well as develop a greater number of exclusives for its system. Once the platform's library is augmented, gamers will purchase PS4s and the console will begin selling at a steady rate. I'd estimate the system will perform on par with its predecessors-reaching the 100 million threshold as the PS One did and the PS3 likely will but ultimately fail to reach PS2 numbers.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff

The PS3 has hit its stride in the past few years and Sony is by no means financially able to invest in an entire system that will most likely cost billions to produce.

The last official statement I've heard from both Sony and Microsoft stated that their next consoles will not launch until 2015 at the earliest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom