• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Link Have a Family?

S

Sevenyearwait

I think in this new game link is old enough to be on his own so his parents might not even be in skyloft

Where'd you read that Ember Incubus?
Where did it ever confirm he was between 10 and 17? Thats a pretty big age gap to confirm lol
It WAS confirmed that Link is older than Twilight Princess Link. You can even see it if you search Skyward Sword on IGN, there is a video of Miyamoto saying it.
Secondly, it was confirmed that Link in Twilight Princess Link is approaching adaulthood, basically 16-17 yrs old. So This new Link is probably 18-20ish years old. which isn't too young to be married or have kids, in this day and age. Accidents happen lol, and some people... rush. But anyways, it ain't gonna happen obviously, its zelda.

I hope they have one family member at least, so you don't feel so randomly placed in a world that you're supposed to live in. I didn't like the fact that Link in Twilight Princess was just kinda living, in a tree... and no back story as to why he has no family.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Well, not necessarily a blood "family." But maybe a mother and father figure, someone who is always there for Link and are like your parents.

And wife and kids kind of ruin the freedom to write about relationships within Skyward Sword, which kind of means not really a ZeLink in Skyward Sword. But maybe a girl friend would be kinda cool, since Link is "that age."

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I wouldn't like Link to have parents in this game.
Personally, I feel like if Link had parents then it would take away his sense of maturity and make him seem more like a child. I think I also remember Miyamoto saying that this would be an older or more mature Link in an interview a long time ago, if so then what use would having parents have?

They said Link would be older in this game, so he could live by himself but not yet have a wife or kids. I don't think a love interest is out of the question though.

T

The Hero

Common!!! What does it matter what age he is?

Honestly. You all make me sick with your age guessin. Link is always a youth. Whether he is really young or approaching adulthood it doesn't matter. More mature doesn't always mean older. I'm pretty old but act like a kid. Where did I go wrong.

Link can have a family. Not his own wife and kids though. This isn't Fable for cryin out loud!!! The 'incident' could be a family member being killed by a raid from an evil force down bellow.

Jus Sayin

(The Hero) You are right!
(Everyone Else) Were is the proof that he is older exactly? people always ask me for quotes and it drives me nuts. Prove it to us! And do not just put a quote out there because that can be made up and edited. Show us an official IGN/Nintendo/Gamespot translated video that says he is older. Not more mature, older!

Interview with Miyamato.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/872155/the-legend-of-zelda-wii/videos/miyamoto_inv_e3.html
Older than he was previously, more approaching adulthood.
Well he is older than Twilight Princess link. There is your proof. Now that I'm right, we can stop this dumb debate lol.
Jk, I'm just being cocky. But yeah... thats where he said it.
But no, Link won't have a wife or kids come on.
I hope he has a best friend though. Seriously, he needs one... lol
And it'd really add cool depth to the story I think.

i am with Xinnamin on this, he is old enough not to have a guardian, but to young to have children. also, in TWW, the story was (largely) based on his family members, but what we know of SS' plot shows no need for relatives

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I personally think giving Link parents would be a little unnecessary. It has already been mentioned that Link is going to be the oldest to date, and like others have pointed out, he has no real need of parents. The mystery behind Link's parents has always been part of Zelda, and I don't think that's a mystery that should be broken. It was alright in Ocarina of Time when it's mentioned that his mother died during the war because her presence never interfered with the game and gave reason to Link's living in the Kokiri Forest. Likewise, it was explained in the A Link to the Past backstory, Sound & Drama, that Link's parents (Banzetta and Loretta) were slain, and there's the whole explanation of how he came to live with his "uncle". The info on his parents didn't interfere.

So why give him parents now? I don't think there'd be much of an issue if there was a small hint about his parents as long as they don't actually appear in-game. Even if he did have parents in SS, he'd probably be too old to even live with them anymore, making them unnecessary additions to the story. He doesn't go out and save the world to make Mommy proud, you know?

In The Wind Waker, he had Aryll and Grandma, but they were necessary additions to the plot. Without them, there'd never have been a reason to don the Hero's garb, nor would he have ever been caught up in Hyrule's ancient dispute with Ganon. He'd have had another normal birthday and gone along his merry way. Additionally, in The Wind Waker, he is a child. He couldn't have been on his own. Even Ocarina of Time Link had a parental figure- The Great Deku Tree. So, for the younger Links, it makes sense that there'd be a family, even if only a small one.

But Adult Link? No, he's a big boy. A parental figure is not necessary to a game with an adult hero. However, I wouldn't mind seeing them pull off something similar to what they did in Twilight Princess. In that particular game, Link, while without family, was very close to Uli, Rusl, and Colin. Rusl could be considered Link's father-figure; a mentor who Link trained under, worked with, and looked up to. That type of "parental" figure gives off a feeling of having a family bond without actually interfering with the lone-hero archetype. That is something I wouldn't mind reappearing.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
as far as parents go I don't think so... Link's biological mother and father have never been shown, only grandmothers and grandfathers. In WW he had a sister so it is totally possible for him to have another sister in a future game or even (dare i say it?) a brother. That's something I would really like to see actually... but back to my point, Link and family don't mix to well, it's better if he has no one like that to hold him from his adventures. He must be free!!! as for a family of his own like sons or daughters it could happen... in a future game... as an ending or intro maybe? and let's face it, Link is a ladies man, silent and handsome =) he could have a wife if he wanted one. no doubt, Link has the luck and the looks. There have already been quite a few women in Link's lives, he should get a few more relationship driven quests like the ones in MM in this new game.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this one and guess that Link is really from Hyrule in this game. His parents were probably killed or something by some random event and, whether it be for his protection or because he was just discovered in a field somewhere, an inhabitant from Skyloft found him and raised him there. That sounds about like a Zelda-ish plot to me, considering Link has never had direct parents and the closest full family he has ever had was in Wind Waker. So no, I don't think he'll have much of a family in this game.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Link will not have a wife and kids, let's get that out of the way.

I think he will have a family, but I think it will probably be a grandparent or aunts and uncles. It would be pretty cool if they wrote in a mother or father, but I think that this would then need to become a big part of the story...it would be cool if he had a little brother or sister too though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom