• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will BotW2 do Ganondorf justice?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
And how?

A lot of us probably think, or certainly do hope, that what's assumed to be Ganondorf is gonna have a prominent role in BotW2, as seen in the trailer. If he's gonna 'regenerate' or remain in mummy form, nobody truly knows yet. Let's say he's bound to regenerate and become a villain anyway.

How would you like to see Ganondorf portrayed? He's been portrayed in many different ways and layers in the series, from Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess and in between. Do you think, or have hope, that BotW2 will do justice to the character? Are we facing the potential of a game that's gonna have the greatest, most intriguing Ganondorf yet?

Ganon(dorf) is such a lame villain that just having a real presence in the story will be justice enough for him. I honestly wouldn't get my hopes up and ask for anything more, especially since it's very possible that he will only appear in the intro and then vanish until the end of the game.

I predict that he will have three major scenes: the first being his resurrection, and in the second he will set his plan into motion (reviving all the dead monster and Guardians?) He will finally 'rehydrate' in the final fight which will have some nods to WW and TP.
A pretty standard performance for Ganny, but anything more would certainly be help.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Going waaaaay out on a limb here, but what if the whole game is racing to stop him from regenerating? Like, you have to do different dungeons trying to find him, and the bosses you have to fight like parts of his essence, and in some, you can't beat the dungeon boss. Those go on to power the final boss. Maybe a fight with Ganondorf early on, but he's weaker. Kinda like Ghirahim in SS.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I was hoping that this would signal an end for him, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, Ganondorf is an iconic villian, and it's hard to imagine the series without him, but I was thinking for the lore it might be cool to have a passing of the torch.

In a theory I wrote last year, I posited that the "Hate Curse" is a force of nature that Demise didn't create, it's always been present and always will be. Demise is the earliest demon we saw embodying it, but it's implied he wasn't the first. With his death the curse moved on to Ganondorf, and I felt the parallels between Ganondorf and Demise in BotW/BotW2 might be signaling that Ganondorf is at the end of his rope and the curse is about to move on to be embodied by someone else.

I now no longer have faith that Nintendo would do something this interesting, though.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Based on the series' track record? Absolutely not.

Ganon is a lame villain. He's never been fleshed out and his motivations have never gone beyond "grrr, I'm evil". Unless there's a commitment to doing something with him, I just don't see BotW's sequel being anymore interesting from a villain standpoint.

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I agree with Bowsette. Short of WW Ganon, maybe, he's never been a good villain. Being evil for the sake of being evil isn't compelling in the slightest. But I doubt it will change. Why fix what sells, right?

Based on the series' track record? Absolutely not.

Ganon is a lame villain. He's never been fleshed out and his motivations have never gone beyond "grrr, I'm evil". Unless there's a commitment to doing something with him, I just don't see BotW's sequel being anymore interesting from a villain standpoint.

Eh, he was actually fleshed out more and fairly interesting in Wind Waker, but that's kind of the exception to the rule.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
With the way the trailer hyped him up, he’s very likely going to be the main antagonist, or perhaps they could be trying to fool us. Who knows?
As long as he has a decent motive, I don’t really care how many appearances he has. Honestly, his lack of appearance in previous games has never really bothered me, though I can’t say I wouldn’t like more. Multiple fights against him would be a nice touch.

i hope so. i’m sooo glad they’re bringing back ganondorf because mindless beast ganon is always kinda lame. agree with the multiple fights thing, there needs to be a sword duel like with TP ganondorf and demise

D

Deleted member 91332

i hope so. i’m sooo glad they’re bringing back ganondorf because mindless beast ganon is always kinda lame. agree with the multiple fights thing, there needs to be a sword duel like with TP ganondorf and demise
I'd prefer we go back to having Ganondorf as a sorcerer rather than a sword user. His appearance and powers in OoT were much more memorable than the other portrayals.

I'd prefer we go back to having Ganondorf as a sorcerer rather than a sword user. His appearance and powers in OoT were much more memorable than the other portrayals.
i really disagree, plus there’s no reason the boss can’t have phases like one part where he’s using magic and the other part he’s using his sword

I do like swordsman Ganondorf but I agree, him flying around, throwing epic, magic blows at Link was pretty badass, showing more of his power like Zelda's divine magic. Link is more of the standard sword-user, the odd one out of the two magic wielders of the Triforce bearers.

I don't want to see Ganondorf in BotW2. The corpse should be left as a corpse--which can be regarded as the source and heart of the Calamity--but I would have major issues if they tried to regress Calamity Ganon back to a human nature. If they attempt to personify him past the force of nature, then it'll be no better than Age of Calamity in unwriting what BotW attempted to establish about its world elements. The corpse opens some possibilities, so they should leave that fateful transition from Ganondorf to Calamity to be interpreted by the player, and whatever the corpse represents in the game is a perfect way to do that.

What's strange to me is that even though Ganon is portrayed as a force of nature in BOTW, I don't get the feeling that he's mindless. King Rhoam said he was "cunning" in that beginning flashback, and Malice eyeballs watch Link thoughout the game. He possessed the Divine Beasts and Guardians, killed their Champions, went after Link and Zelda, all calculated moves. And him regaining power after a century was in response to Link waking up in the Shrine of Resurrection. How did he know?

I don't believe him to be legitimately mindless either, but I sort of interpret it as a malice-driven instinct that is so hardwired into his being that he operates on it; he is it. One of the compendium entries hints at Calamity Ganon's intelligence, so he definitely has a consciousness of some sort. I'm open to them playing with the idea further and making us have to reconsider what we thought to be true in BotW, of course, but if they wuss out with this really experimental concept just to rehumanize him, I'll be quite disappointed. The idea of someone who was once human could be corrupted so far that he ended up as Calamity Ganon is a really powerful concept to work with, so I think reintroducing Ganondorf's remains is better than reintroducing Ganondorf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom