• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U vs. Switch

The switch made me appreciate the Wii U more, fans complained about the big and awkward controller, so nintendo answers with a big awkward controller that can turn into 2 small awkward controllers.

The wii u jas fantastic games, some of the best nintendo has put out there, there is no reason to hate the wii u and love the Switch other than blind hope and denial (since the two products are so similar)

Where exactly did that image originate from?
http://www.nintendo.com/switch
Press play video, then press the X. Then click on partners.
America has single-handedly either matched or out-bought Nintendo consoles vs the rest of the world for at least a decade, but I reckon since ever. Even when it comes to portable consoles, something that Japan has been crazy for, you'd have to combine the entire world's(excluding Japan and USA) units bought to even match Japan's or America's sales figures. It's no coincidence that their brand new console is coming out when the US consumers have their most spending money.
That does make sense. I do agree with you. But as a Japanese company I still think it's more based on Nintendo's financial year.
Mm nintendo had a similar list when the wiiu launched, it means nothing. Third party support starts with the design of the console, not a board with names. And developers didnt know what the thing was until recently, they were not part of the decision making process as they should be.
That WiiU list all made games for the WiiU at launch. The issue was many of them dropped off post launch because of Nintendo's mistakes. People are forgetting what3rd party support the WiiU did have at launch. It was a lot. The catch here is Nintendo needs this 3rd party support to stay on port launch this time round unliek last time where it did not.

@Deus no different to everyone who owns a 3DS right? All Nintendo fanbois as well, they jsut want to play Nintendo games on the go.
There is one good thong though, the WiiU will soon be a past console few people play post march 2017 so there'll be no reason then for you to keep pulbically hating on it. Yes people hate the WiiU, for all different reasons but very few are as strongly vocal of their WiiU hate as you are.

Right... so if any of us learned for that event in recent history why would we be so sure it will be different this time around? Oh and last time they needed their support just as much as they do now, nothing has changed.

WiiU owner here. Actually kind of relieved at not getting the Switch hype. Not planning on buying.

I've mentioned in other threads that I don't consider myself a gamer - I only play Zelda. Maybe that's weird, but that's me. My wife likes video games, so I will play a few other things with her sometimes to spend time with her with something she enjoys, but that's about the extent of it.

The primary reason we got a WiiU was for the upcoming Zelda game. We got the WiiU when Hyrule Warriors came out, which we really enjoyed. I was a little worried that the Switch would be dramatically different in gameplay mechanics. I don't really see that. So I will be happy to buy BotW for WiiU. I don't get the impression it will hurt my experience in any way.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
As a gamer (in general, not just a Wii U owner), the thing has very little appeal to me. It's really everything I didn't want them to do.

Then again, maybe they're just over-emphasizing the draw of the "on the go" aspect of the thing, because in reality most people don't play portable hard core gaming. It just isn't how things are. Most people play those sorts of games on their couch.

But that said, as long as it has enough longevity to compete with the Neo and Scorpio, I think it will be a success. It has potential as long as they key aspect of it—the console—is well developed. Basically, no one wants a weak version of the XBO that you can take on the airplane, but also play weaker versions of XBO games on. If that's what the Switch is, it is going to be an incredible failure.

My biggest bummer with it is how bad the controller that comes in the box is. IDont ask for much, just a controller that fits well in human hands.

I believe in buying a console for its games, and the Switch sure delivers on that front. While 3rd party games are important for the success of the system, I only ever play Nintendo/Lego games anyway (and Lego pretty much has to support Nintendo, they have the same target demographic, like with their Wii U exclusive), and if there's one thing Nintendo will always deliver is, then that would be outstanding games of the highest quality. Breath of the Wild alone will likely take me an eon to finish, if ever, and the new 3D Mario looks incredible, not to mention the fact that you can play the new Mariokart game outside the house with friends...
The Wii U was great, game-wise, as well, if you only really like Nintendo, like me.

The wii u has some of the best games ever made by nintendo, the fact that i see some nintendo fans hating the console is puzzling to me. It only shows their loyalty is completely irrational, since they are just as easy to hate something as they are to get hyped blindly for a new consoles without knowing almost anything about it and its games.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The wii u has some of the best games ever made by nintendo, the fact that i see some nintendo fans hating the console is puzzling to me. It only shows their loyalty is completely irrational, since they are just as easy to hate something as they are to get hyped blindly for a new consoles without knowing almost anything about it and its games.
The Wii U also had the most limited selection of games since the N64. And no. A lot of the Wii U's games, while well designed, weren't really for fans.

3D World is one such example. While 3D world was good, we never got a real 3D
Platformer.
The Wii U was fantastic if you like platformers. That system has the best selection of 2D platformers ever made.

It had a really good selection of competitive fighting, and hack and slashers. They have some of the best games of the entire genre.

The Wii U had some pretty solid JRPG's as well.

But.... There are next to no adventure games on the system, besides Zelda remakes. There aren't many games where you can really explore. There weren't any good Mario sports games. There was not animal crossing. There's no Metroid. Theres not any good Mario party games.

These glaring holes in genres that Nintendo excels at, just really points out the Wii U's flaws. Not to mention, it had the worst release calendar of any system I have ever seen. 2015 and 2016 had the longest draught of games in Nintendo history. And it shows.

But no. I have to disagree with you. 3DS sctually holds the best Nintendo games ever made, hands down.
Almost every Nintendo franchise comes to the system, and a lot of them come in with something new, and fresh, and innovative for the series.

Lol, really? So you would say Mario kart 7, Smash bros 3Ds, Super Mario bros 3ds, 3D land is better than its more sophisticated and ambitious counterparts on Wii U? in dont think so.

The wii U has the best 2D Mario (including the amazing luigi expansion) it has the best Donkey Kong, The best Pikmin, it has the best Yoshi game, it has the best Kirby, it has the. best Smash Bros, it has the best MArio Kart, it has an absolute brilliant 3D Super Mario game that brings the best Mario World has to offer. It has a Crazy ambitious RPG (xenoblade X) which is not very common for nintendo consoles, it has a great selection of party games (nintendo land, wiiu sports Club, mario party U and MP 10) and im just mentioning these because you brought it up, party games are shovelware anyway. Then you have 2 phenomenon called Splatoon and Mario Maker, Which i dont care for but fans absolutely love them. On top of that it has the definitive version of Wind Waker and Twilight princess, putting it together with Breath of The Wild, which is still first and foremost a Wii U game, just like TP was a GC game.

So yeah, its definitely for the fans. In fact the biggest problem of the Wii U is that it was only for the fans. Leaving everyone else behind. And honestly nothing about the switch suggests it will be better, given how gimmicky they device is.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Lol, really? So you would say Mario kart 7, Smash bros 3Ds, Super Mario bros 3ds, 3D land is better than its more sophisticated and ambitious counterparts on Wii U? in dont think so.

The wii U has the best 2D Mario (including the amazing luigi expansion) it has the best Donkey Kong, The best Pikmin, it has the best Yoshi game, it has the best Kirby, it has the. best Smash Bros, it has the best MArio Kart, it has an absolute brilliant 3D Super Mario game that brings the best Mario World has to offer. It has a Crazy ambitious RPG (xenoblade X) which is not very common for nintendo consoles, it has a great selection of party games (nintendo land, wiiu sports Club, mario party U and MP 10) and im just mentioning these because you brought it up, party games are shovelware anyway. Then you have 2 phenomenon called Splatoon and Mario Maker, Which i dont care for but fans absolutely love them. On top of that it has the definitive version of Wind Waker and Twilight princess, putting it together with Breath of The Wild, which is still first and foremost a Wii U game, just like TP was a GC game.

So yeah, its definitely for the fans. In fact the biggest problem of the Wii U is that it was only for the fans. Leaving everyone else behind. And honestly nothing about the switch suggests it will be better, given how gimmicky they device is.
Smash bros, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Splatoon, I completely agree, 100%.

3D World definitely isn't a real ambitious game though. It's has absolutely nothing on the Galaxy games.

But other genres as well? Besides these fantastic games, there is nothing else much that the system can offer.

Also, the Wii U still has had
I find it funny how you call the Switch "gimmicky", while praising the Wii U. Wii U was way more gimmicky, especially with the dual screens. With the Switch, you can play how you want to play, with many options that you can utilize, or completely ignore. Unlike the Wii U, where with Star Fox, for example, you are stuck with 2 screens that don't work to make a good cohesive game.

Not all those games were good. Smash Bros 4 as an example is a terrible terrible game. Some of the games you mentioned were good too.

You forget to mention all the 3rd party support the WiiU did have. So much of it at launch. All directed at non Nintendo fans to get them to switch to Nintendo. COD, Batman, Mass Effect etc etc. All launch titles for the WiiU. Nintendo tried to cater for everyone but in doing so forgot their core fans by not releasing a good 1st party game with the console. This caused lower console sales and lower 3rd party sales. The 3rd parties pulled out as a result and Nintendo trying to right this mistake has spent the entire WiiU's life span post launch catering to the fans. Thankfully it seems Nintendo has realised this mistake and hopes not to do it again.

Also those 3rd party ports were of games everyone already owned on other consoles. Even in the WiiU version was the best, no one was going to buy the game again.

ill has had
I find it funny how you call the Switch "gimmicky", while praising the Wii U. Wii U was way more gimmicky, especially with the dual screens. With the Switch, you can play how you want to play, with many options that you can utilize, or completely ignore. Unlike the Wii U, where with Star Fox, for example, you are stuck with 2 screens that don't work to make a good cohesive game.
The controls were not the bad part about Star Fox Zero. Literally everything else was. The controls were the best part of the game. Nintendo should have just released Star Fox 64 HD and be done with it. Would have sold better too. Star Fox Guard on the other hand is amazing. Everything about it is just great, for the casual little game that it is.

Dual screen with the WiiU was not a failure. It worked well at times. What it taught us is, for most games (SFG, Affordable Space Adventures and Captain Toad being three exceptions that worked very well) the dual screens had to be treated separately to work well. You could not use both screens at the same time. The learning curve was just too great and the games that tried this all seemed to lack any real depth. Basically bad games with an innovative control scheme. On the other hand use the 2nd screen as a casual map or PDA or other similar device within game and the 2nd screen worked amazingly. The catch here is this use of a second screen in this way is not totally required. Some rearrangement of the UI within games could accomplish the same thing.

Without having a dual screen home console you'd not have realised this. In this respect the WiiU taught Nintendo a lot about dual screen home consoles and I think is one of their reasons not to make the Switch dual screen as well.

The wii u had poor 3rd party support, just like any other nintendo console and the Switch will be no different. Plus, 3rd party support is not for nintendo fans, its to bring everyone else to the console. So the wii u locked itself behind its own fanbase and did not branch out.

But that is neither here nor there, thats nintendo for you. The wii u did did have spectacular exclusives for the fans.

Smash bros, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Splatoon, I completely agree, 100%.

3D World definitely isn't a real ambitious game though. It's has absolutely nothing on the Galaxy games.

But other genres as well? Besides these fantastic games, there is nothing else much that the system can offer.

Also, the Wii U still has had

But im not saying the wii u isn't gimmicky, it is very much.

'besides fantastic games there is nothing else the system can offer' well fantastic games its all a system needs. And in relation to the Switch the Wii U has backwards compatibility, and a proper d-pad on the gamepad. So i dont know what else youre looking for.

And as far as Super Mario Galaxy... 3D world has better level design, better platforming and less filler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom