• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U: Most Balanced Launch In Videogame History?

With the announcement of the Nintendo Revolution at E3 2005, latter renamed the Wii, Nintendo promised to cater to every walk of gamer. Traditional players from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s could find platformers, racing, shooter, fighting galore whereas fitness and minigame compilations aimed to steer novices towards the road of experience. It was this way only in theory, however, as the unfolding of the generation proved Nintendo could not retain "hardcore" third party support with under powered hardware.

The Kyoto based company aims to change that later this year. Enter the Wii U, Nintendo's bold entrance into the HD sphere. Mario? Check. Darksiders? Check. Call of Duty? Check. Nintendo's traditional hallmark franchises return for another romp plus the grittier games characterizing the company's first four console platforms. The securing of high profile exclusives for the system like Bayonetta 2 ensures from the outset that developers will view the Wii U as a more serious and competent platform than its predecessor.

The common adage goes, "A good start is half the battle won". This proved true with 2006's Wii launch. High profile exclusives including The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wii Sports secured a balanced beginning, bringing the best of both world together: Gaming experiences for veterans and newer players alike.

The same appears set in motion for the Wii U except this time around Nintendo is looking to wipe away smeared blood. All major genres and game aesthetics are covered. While maybe not the best launch lineup from a critical perspective, it certainly stacks at or near the top from a commercial perspective, alluring as many potential buyers as possible.

What are your thoughts on the Wii U launch line-up? Do you agree with my assessment or are you more pessimistic of the initial software and Nintendo's future in general?

I am thoroughly impressed with Nintendo's launch line-up. I would say it is Nintendo's finest launch to date, and I would agree, it is half the battle. There are titles from every genre, and games suited to every player. I really think that the WiiU will kick off it's birth strongly.. However, after the launch "window" is a different story, well have to wait and see. I have a positive outlook, and I really think Nintendo will create something truly unique; the WiiU has the potential to be something beyond other consoles.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo's outings with the Wii makes general outside appeal of the Wii U look bland. We have to take in mind that the Wii U is getting ports of old games for the majority of launch games, and this isn't something anyone wants to take part in really. Why should I spent $300 (or $350) plus the typical $60 for a game I already played months ago? What could these simple "gamepad" features offer me that the old game controls didn't, and more important, would those added features be really groundbreaking?!

Such questions are raised. I initially viewed hthe Wii U's launch window with high optimism; I recognize almost every title being released and I just know they're big. But, after re-realizing (I knew this before but ignored the fact) that almost every game they have is a port, things are starting to look grim. Old games that have been played to death really don't appeal to the mass. An HD re-release of one of those classics is a different story, but we're talking about games that were released just a couple months ago. I'm not one to own multiple copies of the same game unless something happened to the older copy or the system it was held on, and I know a great deal of people who are the same.

So, the Wii U HAS great games. The problem? The non-first part games -- they're old.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I'll agree with Ventus here in saying while the launch is impressive, there are not enough new games for it to be considered amazing. People aren't going to buy the console just to play the new Assassin's Creed or Darksiders II (OK I'll buy it for Darksiders II, but that's because I don't own a PS3/360 myself and don't want to buy it for my roommates lol.) The Launch Titles are pretty lack luster for me other than Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2.

I'm sure that the console will pick up steam, but what is being offered right now may not be enough to convince people to buy a new console. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

As JuicieJ noted, the Wii U, more specifically the premium bundle, is sold out via pre-orders. Analysts like Michael Pachter were wrong. Nintendo aims to storm the market once more later this year.

The port problem isn't as serious as you deem, Ventus and Awesome. Why? There's a large untapped audience for these third party titles and the allure of content not included in the box of other versions is sure to appeal to some. For example, as advertised, Darksiders II includes five hours of content players would need to purchase as DLC on 360, PS3, and PC. If you're looking for exclusives, however, that front is solid as well with ZombiU leading the charge and other major releases including Rayman Legends spanning the launch window.

While substantial third party support certainly sweetens the deal, never underestimate the power of Nintendo's first party exclusives. Super Mario is a powerhouse, with the newer 2D platformers selling 20+ million units each. Assuming a similar number of copies of New Super Mario Bros. U are sold with each requiring hardware to play it, Nintendo has already produced Gamecube numbers on the strength of one title alone. Nintendo Land flanks the rear, bringing the casuals along for the ride and temporarily alleviating veteran player's passions for another installment in their favorite series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The port problem isn't as serious as you deem, Ventus.

I'd beg to disagree; this is likened to just a game being on PS3/360 and you having either or console. I'll pick Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition. You can buy RE5Gold for your standard $40USD on the PS3 with all DLC included FIRST, or you could buy regular RE5 for $20 then get all your DLC for like $20 on the 360. Either way, you're still getting the DLC, it's just you have to wait longer in one case. For your example with Darksiders II, you can get the DLC all the same. Why would I wait to pay $60+the added DLC when I can get it months before? I mean, sure, you may end up paying less in the long run...but time is of the essence as well as money. My point is, you're still playing the same game, but in the case of the Wii U, you're waiting longer than you should be.

Note: This doesn't mean the Wii U will suffer forever. In time when games start going simultaneously multiplat, the Wii U will surely pick up steam. However, it's launch just isn't as great as most people perceive it to be due to the port problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom