• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why the Changes?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I saw someone playing Ocarina of Time 3D and another on the gamcube. I've always plaid it on the 64. I noticed that, in both versions, the symbol on the mirror shield has been changed from a star and crescent to something entirely different. In addition, when Ganondorf is dying during the final battle, Ganondorf vomits. In the original, he coughs up blood. Does anyone know why these changes were made? Was it some sort of censorship?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm guessing censorship, yeah. The star and crescent probably looked too Arabic or Communist. The blood to vomit already makes sense.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The change from star and crescent was changed, I believe, because of its proximity to the Islamic symbol as you can compare by opening the two spoiler tags:

0310_WVislamhearings.jpg
evolution_of_link__s_mirror_shield_wallpaper_by_blueamnesiac-d4l4gfw.png

I can understand the change of the Mirror Shield as well as the original Fire Temple music; to use a religious theme to whatever extent will obviously piss people off. I don't like the Gerudo symbol and much prefer Mirror Shield v1.0, but hey what am I gonna do?

The blood was changed to booger puke green blood just to make things less violent; there's no real difference between the two except the blood looks cooler. :P

Yeah I like the N64 Mirror Shield better myself. Everyone already beat me to the punch in mentioning that it was due to what I believe was an Islamic symbol. Unfortunately, in today's society a symbol will almost always be controversial if you aren't careful :/

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's just not a good idea.

You don't just change the best game ever without some publicized explanation. They keep this up, this game could go the way of Star Wars. Edited beyond recognition.

Kirino

Tatakae
You don't just change the best game ever without some publicized explanation. They keep this up, this game could go the way of Star Wars. Edited beyond recognition.

Don't you think you're exaggerating? The differences are very minor, and really don't effect the overall experience at all. The Ganondorf change from blood to vomit (used to think it was acid) was pretty stupid though.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's just no the same.

I just hate when you fix what is not broken. i want the classic original version that I enjoyed as a child. Next the crosses will be removed from the shields and graves in the first two games. Then the temples will be renamed "palaces"like they were in Zelda ii. Then Demons will be renamed Monsters. Then they'll remove all the scary monsters and replace them with butterflys. It's just best to never start.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I never understood the changes made to newer versions.

ESRB needs to grow a pair. The blood was more noticeable in the shadow temple than it was for Ganondorf.

I don't know how anyone would get offended by the religeous symbol. I'm Christian and I'd be honored to see the cross depicted in a game as cool as this.

Why did they make the puzzles easier in the 3DS version? Why did Mido need to make it so damn obvious you needed to play the song? Why did the camera zoom at the chest in the Forest Temple? Why did Navi need to explain there's a fairy in the gossip stone? Why was there that huge sheikah stone? Ocarina of Time was already a pretty easy game, albeit not as easy as MM and tWW, but there was still no reason to make it easier.

Also in the 3DS version, they did a poor job on the Ocarina button commands. L and R being "down" and "A" was fine. But Y should have been "left" X should have been "up" and A should have been "right" or else use the D-Pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom