• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why I'm excited for the future of Zelda

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't fall in love with BoTW, but it has made me very excited for the future of Zelda and these are my biggest reasons to stay optimistic... (if you read this entire thing, I'll be amazed)

1. BoTW let us be as "free" as it's going to get for a main game. If the Dev's grant any additional sense of liberty that is both meaningful and significant, we'll end up with a Zelda World Maker, which would most likely not fall within the definition of a main/flagship game.
  2. Because we won't be seeing new developments in relation to our freedom as the player, we'll be seeing more content. Nintendo has almost always tried to implement new elements for each new Zelda and I think the next Zelda will be no different. Essentially, there are two things they can do to bring new stuff to the game:
    1. a bigger world
    2. more depth (I think they'll opt to put their focus here)
  3. More depth means three things are likely coming back...
    1. Traditional dungeons. There's been a lot of debate as to the supposed incompatibility of the freedom provided by BoTW and the restrictions of the traditional dungeon. I see no such incompatibility. All you have to do is make the dungeon itself not required for the player's progress. The argument that they're simply too hard or that it in some way conflates to minimizing one's freedom is a non-sequitur. I'd actually argue that it provides additional "freedom" by providing players with the additional option to experience the mystery, accomplishment, wonder, and satisfaction that accompanies a difficult linear dungeon whereas that option is almost entirely missing in BoTW.
    2. NPC's that are more "alive." I've long been waiting for a return to the MM sense of realism concerning NPC's that do drastically different things day to day. Obviously, the 3 day structure of MM gave the developers the ability to script the NPC's in a way that hasn't been seen since, and I don't anticipate a full return to that kind of structure. Still, I think improvements will be made here that will grant us new experiences and puzzles relating to NPC's and the value we find therein. One example, having more "real" NPC's will allow the player to associate and relate to the NPC to a greater extent and see how they are a part of an "in-world" community. If Nintendo tied an NPC that players grew particularly fond of to a nonessential traditional dungeon in a meaningful way, the player would still have good reason to take on the challenge (even if the reward is simply story based and not main-story or item related).
    3. Story Developments. Another polarizing topic concerning Zelda has to do with what function story and overall plot have. On the one hand, you've got the very first Zelda which is fairly straight forward. On the other hand, you've got SS. Fans seem to be pretty split here, so I don't think we'll see much in the way of development concerning Link's role in the world including Zelda and whatever predominant evil force they may include. Instead, I think we'll see the effects of Link, and said evil force to a greater extent. (think how the world drastically changed from day to day in MM compared to how there was little change after completing shrines/divine beasts in BoTW)
  4. Combo of Traditional Zelda and Atmospheric Music. Similar to traditional dungeons and upholding notions of freedom in BoTW, I don't see why we can't have a healthy dose of both traditional Zelda music and atmospheric music to accomplish whatever goals the developers have in mind given a specific area/situation.
  5. Traditional Items. The Sheikah Slate was unique and fun, but I think we'll see a return to traditional items that serve similar functions. Arguments that a return to old items would also result in a linear approach that limits one's freedom to go anywhere and do anything from the moment they start the game may have a point; however, you still have to acknowledge that even with the increased freedom granted in BoTW, stamina, hearts, and player skill level still served essentially the same purpose albeit in a more nuanced and less conspicuous way. (I'll probably post about this in more depth another time)
  6. More Polished Weapon System. Too many people complained about the current system for Nintendo not to do anything IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom