• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why does Nintendo re-release consoles after the next generation console is already released?

Why does Nintendo re-release consoles after the next generation console is already released? I don't get why Nintendo would even do this. They have done it a few times in history.

YXvQc4f.jpg

TawJNjm.jpg

FhmEmkw.jpg

oElKuGe.jpg

jbfL5vD.jpg

hQzrhUe.jpg

If there is anymore please let me know.

There is a decent number of people who tend to play a generation behind when it comes to video games. For people who might not be willing to shell out $300+ for a Wii U, a $99 price point can be a lucrative offer for a Wii Mini that has a vast library of games that are still easily found at stores, that still hold up well and are relatively modern, and that you can get often buy used for a fraction of the price they were originally sold for.

Growing up, I don't think my family ever owned a new console on release. I know we had the re-released/updated NES and SNES pictured above. We didn't own an N64 or Gamecube until well into their life cycles, and I didn't get my hands on a Wii until Skyward Sword came out, five years after the Wii released.

Another important point is that for people who might still be in the market for a Wii, a used Wii costs about the same as a new Wii Mini. From Nintendo's perspective, they aren't making any money on the resale of a pre-owned Wii. If they can produce a stripped down Wii on the cheap that still has the qualities most buyers are looking for, they can retain more of the profit. I think there are a lot of people who would forego the ability to watch Netflix on their Wii Mini if it meant having a new product and not taking a chance on something pre-owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom