• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Why Does Link Live in Ordona?!

Pen

The game is on!
So, why does Link live in Ordona in Twilight Princess?! I just find it really strange that Link lives in Ordon Village with all the Ordonians, even though he is a Hylian. It's weird!

I'd love to hear some theories on why Link lives alone with all the Ordonians! :)

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I don't think the Ordonians and Hylians are separate, they just live in different places.

I would like to believe that Link in the child timeline grew up and married Malon at the ranch, and his descendant worked at the ranch as well. Otherwise I think they just placed him there as an average Joe.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Because he probably arrived later on and then needed a new house, but they ran out of space so they built him a new house!

Epona

Ordon Village
Arrived later on? Hmm. There could be many different reasons. We don't know about his parents, who he's related to in the village, if anyone. The children seem to love him, which might suggest that they've known him their whole lives. It just seems so random that the entire village and everyone in it lives in close proximity in that area, except Link. He has his own place in his own area with his own yard and everything.

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
it may have something to do wit that strange theory about his parents.
how his mom died of sickness or something and his father died fighting for hyrule.
and than someone in ordon adopted him, or how he just moved in there on his own.
and link probably gets his house far away from everyone else because...well.......... don't it look like he has a lot more stuff than everyone else?????? like epona?no one else in the blasted village has a horse!!!ever notice that??
yea i also know what your thinking now...."why not keep epona on the ranch with all the goats and stuff??" because link probably did not want her to, because she can jump the gate when its closed. he did not want her to run away.

as for link living in ordon, even though he's a hylian, also...did you ever notice all the adults in ordon seem to treat him like he's there own child?
maybe he was adopted, and everyone in the village took care of him. untill he was old enough to live in his own house.
so yea...thats just my crazy theories........

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Maybe Link was a tramp, and he just liked Ordon so he settled there. Also, maybe he needed employement, so he went to work at the ranch, since he's good at riding horses... Does Link get paid for working at the ranch?

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
It could be that Links parents died when he was young and that the rancher could have known his parents and took him as his own. Then as Link grew he built him the odd house on the outskirts of the village. This is what I've thought ever since I was halfway through twilight princess.

Djinn

and Tonic
I see no problem with people moving to the village at a later date and becoming one of the Ordonians. Link's house was on the outskirts of the village, so perhaps his parents or otherwise ancestor that moved there was someone who emigrated there from Hyrule. And since those communities are fairly close knit and weary of outsiders, their house had to be outside the proper village at the time. Even though Link was accepted as a member of the village there would be no need to build another house closer to the village as it was good enough, and the home of his family. There would be no need to change.

Generally Link is the outsider that enters Hyrule in all the games that give him some kind of origin. He always comes from very humble beginnings, but that is a traditional standard in a fantasy story. In ALTTP he lived very far away from Kakariko, OoT he lived in the Kokiri Forest, Outset Island in WW, with his uncle away from the village in MC. The developers seem to like having Link discover the wide world of Hyrule at the same time as the player. When you are completely new the the area and have never seen it before, it makes for a much greater level of exploration in the game.

linkman8

True and Noble
Link's background in Twilight Princess is in question from the very start, considering he really has no family, and lives in a seemingly self-made house on the outskirts of a small rural farming village. How did he get there? Who knows.
Additionally I wouldn't assume that Hylians wouldn't live with humans, but it should also be mentioned (perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this) that Link is theoretically a human in Twilight Princess. When you switch between forms, it says "human" instead of "Hylian". Perhaps that's not good evidence, but Nintendo has paid close attention to that very fact in the past, so I can't see why they wouldn't have put it like that on purpose.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Here's a little thing I like to use to explain this:

After his adventure in Majora's Mask, Link eventually went to live at Lon Lon Ranch, and eventually married Malon. At some point, some of their descendants (whether children or further down) moved down to where Ordon is, and Ordon later became part of Hyrule (in which Ordona was appointed by the goddesses to watch over the Providece). Some generations later is where Twilight Princess takes place. This would explain as to why Link is a rancher (and why the place has a ranch) in the game, and why Epona is Link's horse. I mean, that Epona would be the descendant of the original Epona, as the people would have taken the horses down to Ordon with them. This is just some non-official thing I use to explain the events in-between OoT/MM and TP. I'm not saying it's true. But it makes sense.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Additionally I wouldn't assume that Hylians wouldn't live with humans, but it should also be mentioned (perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this) that Link is theoretically a human in Twilight Princess. When you switch between forms, it says "human" instead of "Hylian". Perhaps that's not good evidence, but Nintendo has paid close attention to that very fact in the past, so I can't see why they wouldn't have put it like that on purpose.

Though many people seem to be assuming that they fall into completely separate categories, I've read before that Hylians are actually a subtype of humans. That would mean that Hylians actually do count as humans (though in vice-versa, humans would not necessarily be Hylians). Therefore, while Link is Hylian, it would not be incorrect to also call him human.

Pen

The game is on!
Link's background in Twilight Princess is in question from the very start, considering he really has no family, and lives in a seemingly self-made house on the outskirts of a small rural farming village. How did he get there? Who knows.

In Zelda, the word "human" contains every human-like race: Hylian, Ordonian, Gerudo, Sheikah and Kokiri. They are all humans, just different kinds of humans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom