• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Why Do You Play It?

I want this game bad now, it gets more and more love everyday! It has become realized to us that this game is one of the greatest Zelda games. I hate the way you say its ' your opinion and can say what you want', you probably aren't giving it enough time.

Fig

The Altruist
The Adventure of Link is one of my personal favorites for its challenging levels, side-scrolling layout, and because it is one of the few direct sequels of any Zelda game. I personally love the use of Magic spells, but I dislike its high amount for one use. Another factor that comes to play is huge area of gameplay, bigger than its predecessor. I love a game that has such a great vast of an overworld. I really love exploring for fun, and then randomly, something weird happens (like a glitch). The Adventure of Link is a great game and I still play it to this day on my Nintendo 3DS.:)

Last edited:
Well, the most important reason would be that the Adventure of Link is a Zelda game, which, by default, makes it a good game (unless you are a CD-i game). The Adventure of Link didn't have a bad overworld, it just had a unique overworld. The upgrading system was not bad, it was unique. The combat system was not bad, it was unique. Everything about the game was unique, and that gave it character and individuality.

The game had fantastic music, --- for the 8-bit era --- it introduced magic to the Zelda series (it was lightly touched upon in the original, but it wasn't very prevalent), it had challenge that no other Zelda game has matched, although I do agree that it was a little bit too extreme at times, and each enemy (and boss) required you to be strategic, rather than just mashing the attack button; I liked that this feature was brought back to Skyward Sword.

All in all, the Adventure of Link is a fantastic Zelda game. It's not the best, but it's definitely somewhere in the middle of my list. It's fine if you don't like it, but, trust me, you can get way better at the game. After a while, you may actually find the game to be a lot easier than you expected. :)

The reason I play Zelda II: Adventure of Link is because it's unique, challenging, and features many of the elements that I believe shone in early franchise installments but have been removed from more recent ones.

Zelda II radically changes up the series formula and certainly for the better. Never before or since has the series taken such a bold, new direction. In terms of gameplay and aesthetic, Adventure of Link feels most like the Castlevania franchise. And that's certainly not a bad thing. The structure and pacing is more frantic than previous installments but the reward is also much greater especially when the tough dungeons and bosses are defeated. Gedmud, I understand the point you make i your opening post, however, the game wasn't artificially difficult. If you're going to use that argument why not apply it to Iron Knuckles from the N64 games and Darknuts from TWW and TP as well? Sure the player needed to memorize a specific pattern to defeat an enemy but doing so was also part of the challenge which was an aspect I enjoyed seeing rejuvenated in Skyward Sword. Let's not forget that Zelda II also introduced villages to the franchise. This stood in stark contrast to the barren landscape of the NES original. I'm sure timeline enthusiasts were frothing at the mouth back in 1998 when they found out the names of the sages in Ocarina of Time were the same as those of the villages in Adventure of Link. And last but certainly not least, the magic meter was to be found in its full glory only surpassed by its usefulness and presentation in the N64 games. You might not like the game but it's certainly worth playing and recognizing for its impact on future games.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
It's a good game (I personally hate it like you but I see how people like it), but it's a bad Zelda game..you see what I mean?

I love this game, because it has a deep, immersive, and challenging combat system which I love. This combat system is very tough and unique combared to other Zelda titles which offers some vareity, The combat system also forces you to develop a strategy for nearly every enemy. I personally love developing strategys which is the main reason I love Adventure of Link.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I can see where you're coming from. I don't like leveling in Adventure of Link at all; I certainly agree with your "it's all one big grind" testament.

However, though I know you kindly told us not to say this, but I do like it because of its challenge. Sure, it makes me want to throw the controller sometimes, but it's a nice departure from the rest of the series. (In all honesty, I still can't figure out why everyone thinks Twilight Princess is hard... I don't find any of its dungeons are overly difficult. It's the easiest Zelda game, but perhaps that's just me...)

Another reason I love that game is simply because of the memories I have of playing it. My sister and I often sit side-by-side and play this game, and we've had plenty of good laughs at one another's failures – and this is coming from someone who's had the game for a year, and hasn't even found the third dungeon yet. I've recently come to the conclusion that I am a very poor video game player – I died 99 times in LttP with a walkthrough. I'm sure you can imagine what that means for AoL. While it's a merciless, grueling experience, the feeling of accomplishment is tremendous. ...Not to mention is gives me more bragging rights, haha.

With the puzzles vs. combat thing... well, since I tend to over-think puzzles (and that's the reason I can claim the title of "awful video gamer"), I think I almost prefer difficult combat, anyway. I like combat-based Zelda games, like Skyward Sword and Oracle of Seasons (although maybe just because I can't beat the puzzle games like OoA). ...Admittedly, OoS and SS were much, much, much easier than Adventure of Link, and they didn't have that frustrating experience system. I still don't like that: it's a major flaw in AoL. I can't deny that.

Adventure of Link is not my favorite game by any means; nope, I agree one hundred percent when you say Legend of Zelda was more enjoyable. But I don't think it's bad at all. I believe it's an acquired taste – it's not for everyone, and it's perfect for some. I'm somewhere in the middle, I think. What I like most about it is that it brings back the exploration that Legend of Zelda had; it's what I liked most about that game, and it's why LoZ is in my top five favorite games. The towns were a fantastic inclusion that would be awesome to see something similar to in future games.

M

Mistress_Rosie

Yo.
I beat this game when I was a kid (I had a game genie and relied heavily - heavily - upon it). I bought the GameCube collection a couple of years ago. This game is bloody insane. I don't think there's any game that I cursed directly at more than this one. I like the story well enough (it's old 8-bit, so it certainly doesn't have the depth of the current games, but, heck, if you compare FF (1) to FF IV or VI, it's just the way games were back then.
So, yes, I hate this *%$!&$* game, and it's entirely because I suck at it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
while i agree the adventure of link is unnecessarily difficult,i actually enjoyed it better than the original legend of zelda
maybe it has something to do w/ the atmosphere it set for me,either way i liked it

it might also have something to do w/ the time when i was beasting through death mountain and i was like 'I EFFEN LOVE THIS GAME',cause i managed to get the hammer and a few other thing done w/o a walkthrough or guide
i felt like such a boss

Last edited:

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Yes, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is a major Black Sheep in the Zelda Family. It is also the most difficult Zelda Game. But is also one of the most classic Zelda games. The only reason that I played it was because it is a classic and one of the original legend of Zelda games. I think that every Zelda fan should at least attempt The Adventure of Link, just for the experience.

D

dfiigins_runner

To me the game is a unique look at the series and I like the level up set up. When I am on my last life with just a little bit of health I try and find the enemies I know I can beat without taking damage so I can get the last level up. Plus this is where the downthrust and upthrust originate and the first time magic was used in a zelda game. I play it not only because its makes me feel like a boss when I finish a dungeon but also because its a zelda and is important to the series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Monti

I play AoL for it's cool concepts. I'm not good at it (I don't think ANYONE is), but I do like many things it brings to the table. It's my dream to see Zelda adopt RPG concepts, and have a battle system somewhat similar to the upcoming PC game Guild Wars 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom