• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do You Love Video Games?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Yeah, escapism, blah blah, real life is bull****, uh-huh, but also HEY, vidya games are a jolly ol' time, right?

Ever since I was little Cass Jr., I had always loved this thing called "vidya games". I could explore new worlds, solve challenging puzzles, uncover various mysterious objects with heavy plot relevance, and ADVENTURE! And boy do I love adventure.

Vidya games allow me to be what I desire to be, and that is why I lurve them.

#badpostisbad

Yeah, escapism, blah blah, real life is bull****, uh-huh, but also HEY, vidya games are a jolly ol' time, right?

Ever since I was little Cass Jr., I had always loved this thing called "vidya games". I could explore new worlds, solve challenging puzzles, uncover various mysterious objects with heavy plot relevance, and ADVENTURE! And boy do I love adventure.
Vidya games allow me to be what I desire to be, and that is why I lurve them.

#badpostisbad
Don't we all love video games? Hahaha

I feel like they're more engaging than any other entertainment medium, and on a variety of levels. The emotional levels a good game can produce from you is quite astounding; titles like The Walking Dead and Crisis Core. And many games, really, I loved the characters! I feel the same with movies, but they don't last as long. After 20 hours of being with a certain character, I definitely get attached and genuinely care a lot more than I have a book or movie. And then of course, the interactivity I adore! I've said it before that the thing I love most in games is choices and organic gameplay. Do what I want and make decisions that impact the game and characters significantly. It's why I love titles like Mass Effect, Witcher, and The Walking Dead cos I really felt like they were my stories. And, going back to my first point, the fact that my decisions make things happen for a character I like just makes them that bit more emotionally engaging to me.

Also, I love how fast gaming is progressing. Loads of creative, unique, innovative ideas constantly coming at us, I feel like there's a new must-have game almost everyday. My future log of games I want is absolutely huge because of it, and they're full of big, expensive triple-A titles as much as they are small, cute, quirky Indie games. Which adds another point that I like, which is the community. I really feel a connection between myself and the Industry; companies like Valve and CDP, pretty much every Indie studio. To the point when I can tweet at an Indie studio and get a reply! Makes me smile. I tweeted Tripwire a long time ago and they sent me a thank you back, which is really cool of them. :) Also got to talk briefly with a guy from Valve while playing TF2. I only got 1 reply cos he was getting absolutely swamped but I got a "Our games are good because we want to make them." Wise words.

So, yeah. I love gaming. I'm training to be a developer, is how much I do love them, and I work with them too. :P Tis a passion.
Oh yes I can defiantly agree with you on the the implication of becoming attached to the character! That's great you are studying to be a developer! What type of games do you want to make? My uncle is working on a game and I'm so excited for him to release it! If I wasn't going to study to be a dancer a developer would be my next choice! I wish you the best of luck and that your games are very successful!

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I echo what other people have said: gaming is an escape from reality.

Some people may read a book to escape reality, others may listen to music, some may watch a movie, and others may play a game. I have two main ways I try to escape reality: music and gaming. The former I do more often, but gaming is still a great way for me to take my mind off the harsh realities of life and stress and just enjoy the present moment. Don't get me wrong, I do love my life but sometimes it's nice to get away, turn on my console, pick up the controller and get completely immersed in a virtual world. Whether it's a sports game, a competitive shooter, an expansive open world, a fantasy adventure game, I enjoy each and everyone regarding its a good game of course.

It's not just that it's an escape thing, it also stimulates your mind - challenge being the main thing. Whatever game you're playing you will most likely be thinking. I like to stimulate my mind and gaming offers a lot of diversity in that respect. It's also good in regards to having a hobby, working towards something etc. Maybe you want to achieve a certain something in the game--whether it be leveling up, completing the next mission--there can always be something you're a working towards and in that way I like that about playing a game. You can watch a movie for a few hours and be done, only your imagination can wander after that, but in a game you can get involved and the experience vs much more longer and engaging. You can set goals, targets etc. and I love that sort of challenge too.

The next big think is just plain enjoyment and it kind of goes hand in hand with stimulating the mind really. You can pick up and play and pas a few hours and maybe that's what you do to pass the time, but it's certainly not just that; it's enjoyable too. I may not be as big of a gaming fan as I was 3 or 4 year ago, but I still see it as a good pass time and a great way to have fun whether it be on my own, with friends, or with people around the world. Kind of a segway but I just touched upon connectivity with friends and people around to world, and that is also a big aspect of why gaming is great. The social network and community in gaming is a huge part of what makes the entrainment medium pretty darn awesome and expansive. I can share enjoyment with other people, whether it be my close friends or people half way across the world.

And last but not least, it creates memories and I don't even need to explain this point.

I echo what other people have said: gaming is an escape from reality.

Some people may read a book to escape reality, others may listen to music, some may watch a movie, and others may play a game. I have two main ways I try to escape reality: music and gaming. The former I do more often, but gaming is still a great way for me to take my mind off the harsh realities of life and stress and just enjoy the present moment. Don't get me wrong, I do love my life but sometimes it's nice to get away, turn on my console, pick up the controller and get completely immersed in a virtual world. Whether it's a sports game, a competitive shooter, an expansive open world, a fantasy adventure game, I enjoy each and everyone regarding its a good game of course.

It's not just that it's an escape thing, it also stimulates your mind - challenge being the main thing. Whatever game you're playing you will most likely be thinking. I like to stimulate my mind and gaming offers a lot of diversity in that respect. It's also good in regards to having a hobby, working towards something etc. Maybe you want to achieve a certain something in the game--whether it be leveling up, completing the next mission--there can always be something you're a working towards and in that way I like that about playing a game. You can watch a movie for a few hours and be done, only your imagination can wander after that, but in a game you can get involved and the experience vs much more longer and engaging. You can set goals, targets etc. and I love that sort of challenge too.

The next big think is just plain enjoyment and it kind of goes hand in hand with stimulating the mind really. You can pick up and play and pas a few hours and maybe that's what you do to pass the time, but it's certainly not just that; it's enjoyable too. I may not be as big of a gaming fan as I was 3 or 4 year ago, but I still see it as a good pass time and a great way to have fun whether it be on my own, with friends, or with people around the world. Kind of a segway but I just touched upon connectivity with friends and people around to world, and that is also a big aspect of why gaming is great. The social network and community in gaming is a huge part of what makes the entrainment medium pretty darn awesome and expansive. I can share enjoyment with other people, whether it be my close friends or people half way across the world.

And last but not least, it creates memories and I don't even need to explain this point.
These are all very good reasons!! And of course some people have a better life than others is still amazing to get away from it all!

Triforce Hermit

Praise the Sun
Because I hate TV, hate people, rarely find much to do on the internet and rarely find anything to do outside. Video games pass the time and I love playing them cause they're fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom