• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Why Do People Think OOT is Harder Than TP?

Ok, granted I've played OOT more times than TP, but....

My most recent playthrough of OOT was the easiest thing ever. Literally. I absolutely breezed through it in 2 days and completed every single dungeon without a single moment of confusion. No walkthroughs, nothing. It took me 2 days to finish the game, and I also got all the heart pieces (I may have used a walkthrough for some heart pieces, but I didn't use any walkthrough for compulsory parts of the game or dungeons). During compulsary parts of the game, I knew exactly what to do and didn't once get stuck/confused. Maybe I'm just used to playing this one a lot, but c'mon, 2 days? And I wasn't even rushing.

TP on the other hand, I have started my second ever playthrough of it recently. Don't get me wrong - this game is not that hard. But I have had trouble with a couple of things. I have just entered the desert. While the forest temple and goron mines were easy enough, without the aid of a walkthrough, the lakebed temple was a different matter. I had to resort to the walkthrough for the lakebed temple 3 or 4 times, and I was highly frustrated and clueless in parts. None of this for OOT. I suppose TP is easy regarding combat (I haven't come close to dying yet). But so far, this seems a harder game than OOT.

Also, to mention another game, on my second playthrough of SS I never had to use a walkthrough until the sky keep - so again, that also seems easier than TP.

Is it just me or do others feel the same?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nah see OoT is pretty easy but the way I'd rate the 3D titles difficulty wise would be

SS < TP = TWW < OoT < MM

MM is definitely hard in all aspects. Combat is pretty quick, dungeons are difficult, and puzzles hardaf. But OoT is vastly easier than MM. Still, OoT is harder than TWW, TP, and SS thanks to harder puzzles (again imo).

Regarding TP being harder than OoT...I'd give it mainly for Lakebed Temple. Lakebed is a Water Temple. It's intricate. You have to keep a lot of stuff in mind, not just the room ahead of you. So maybe you got confused somewhere where in OoT's Water Temple you wouldn't have. It's all about that attention to bigger details that people miss regarding Lakebed.

Big Octo

=^)
From what you've said, I think the situation here is that you've played and beaten Ocarina of Time so many times that you've essentially 'mastered' it. Similar to you, I have replayed the game and beaten it so many times that completing it is a breeze, with little to no dungeon confusion and no deaths whatsoever. However, it seems that you're not as familiar with Twilight Princess, because you said you're in the process of only your second play-through. Naturally, you don't remember much from your first go at the game and it seems as if you're having trouble with it.

The problem here is that you're comparing yourself at two different skill levels. Instead, consider the first time you played Ocarina of Time and compare it with the first time you played Twilight Princess. From here, you can draw more accurate conclusions on the game difficulty. I am being honest in saying that I await your reply on this. :yes:

Now, when I do what I have stated above, I find that I did, in fact, have a more troubling time with Ocarina of Time when I played it compared to my first go at Twilight Princess. I recall asking friends about where to go and how to proceed in a dungeon, among other things. With Twilight Princess, however, I found that game to be eased in difficulty in almost every way. I never found myself seeking aid outside of the game, and soon beat it without help.

Regarding my experience, I think many people say this game is easier because they may have had an experience similar to mine. Of course, everybody is different, and there are always exceptions.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Dunno, maybe because a lot of us were 6 or so when we played OoT and in our teens when TP came out.

From what you've said, I think the situation here is that you've played and beaten Ocarina of Time so many times that you've essentially 'mastered' it.

Instead, consider the first time you played Ocarina of Time and compare it with the first time you played Twilight Princess. From here, you can draw more accurate conclusions on the game difficulty. I am being honest in saying that I await your reply on this. :yes:

Good point, and I think you're right about the fact that I've played through OOT so much.. it's kind of ingrained into my memory.

In answer to your question - that's also a good point. I think, from memory alone, my first playthrough of OOT was harder than my first playthrough of TP. However, this is masked by the fact that I was so young in general. Plus I can't fully remember back then anyway... OOT was the first and only zelda game I'd played for years - there was a huge gap of years before I even attempted my second zelda game (TP) and the rest of the series shortly after. So for that I guess it's hard to compare OOT to the rest.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
**** the lakebed temple
i've played through twilight princess countless times and that place still aggravates me,so i always use the early boss room glitch

yeah so basically you knew exactly what you were doing in ocarina so much that its a cakewalk,thats really it

In answer to your question - that's also a good point. I think, from memory alone, my first playthrough of OOT was harder than my first playthrough of TP. However, this is masked by the fact that I was so young in general. Plus I can't fully remember back then anyway... OOT was the first and only zelda game I'd played for years - there was a huge gap of years before I even attempted my second zelda game (TP) and the rest of the series shortly after. So for that I guess it's hard to compare OOT to the rest.

how about this
i was 10 when i played through tp:not that hard [aside a few parts]
i played ocarina a few years ago:found myself coming to zelda dungeon constantly for guides

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
how about this
i was 10 when i played through tp:not that hard [aside a few parts]
i played ocarina a few years ago:found myself coming to zelda dungeon constantly for guides

And this, my friends, is the beauty of subjectivity. I'm 17, have played through OoT so many times (over 100 - I've owned the game in every single version bar Wii VC; I'm a huge fanboy), and still find it to be tough. TP on the other hand is a cakewalk. Ya know, that's just for me. Other people may have found TP to be harder. What can we do but chalk it up to personal experience? <3

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I'm the opposite. XD

Solely comparing my first playthroughs (which were, fortunately, around the same time as each other for TP and OoT) I used a walkthrough ONCE in TP -- and it was just for how to get the basket from the monkey, which is probably the stupidest reason to look up a walkthrough ever. In OoT, I used a walkthrough several times. I remember needing it for pretty much the entirety of the Water Temple, most of the Spirit Temple, and I have no idea what else, since I didn't really care about how many walkthroughs I used back then.

I mean, I know you pointed it out, but I don't really think it's far to compare a game you've played multiple times to one you've only completed once, hahaha. I think that's part of it for you. But, even so, everyone has different opinions on difficulty and different way their minds solve problems. It might just be harder for you.

ILU

i luv u
I think it just comes down to individual challenge. Some excel where others struggle. TP didn't challenge me at all, but maybe it's because I was older than I was when I played OoT. Maybe it's because it's so similar that I just knew what to expect. There are lots of possible explanations, and I'm sure it's like plenty of others.

I've never thought any 3D Zelda was any harder than the other. They all present equally low risk of dying and equally solvable puzzles, so they all just go under 'Easy'. That's how it is for me, anyway.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think OoT is harder even though I have played it way more times than TP. I think it's just generally more challenging dungeon-wise, and there is a lot less exploration to do, which makes it pretty linear and thus easy to navigate the overworld in spite of it's size.
But I did say generally. There are parts of TP that are difficult, but I found it easy overall.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I haven't actually played OoT, but I would like to say that sometimes it matters when someone first played a game. If they first played OoT when they were little, people might think of it as being harder then a game they played when they were older. I dunno, just something I'd thought I'd put out there.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well, OoT IS one of the easier Zelda games -- LoZ, AoL, ALttP, MM, OoA, OoS, FSA, PH, ST, and SS all range from notably to significantly harder -- but it still requires skill to complete. Challenges are still STIMULATING due to ingenious design, whereas TP's challenges, more often than not, fall flat due to rather slapdash and casualized design. Things are practically spelled out for you just by how they're put together, which results in little to no effort being required to overcome nearly every situation. There are a few clever moments here and there, but they're without a doubt exceptions, not the rule.

Ocarina may be relatively easy, but it gets away with it due to its carefully-crafted challenges. The same just can't be said about OoT's clone Twilight Princess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom