• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Why Do People Hate On Link's Awakening

Septimis Skype

TheLastCenturion
Hi guys this is Septimis Skype here with my first thread I'm here to talk about why people hate on Link's Awakening I love this game for the bomb arrows the roc's feather and stealing from the store. This is the first Zelda game i have ever beat and i think that's why i think its my favorite so I'm asking what you guys think about the game Thanks please comment.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I enjoyed the game, the sole reasons it ranks low are:

1. Too much sidescrolling. Zelda II was worse, but it needs to stop.

2. I'm not much a fan of @=2D titles in general.

Not a BAD game, but it DOES take place in a dream, so it can be regarded as "unimportant."

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I consider it to be the best of its age, but newer titles, even the 2D ones, have improved on it by now.

Night Owl

~Momentai
They probably hate on using pots to open things ;)

LA was my first Zelda, and is one of my favorites. I like the fact that it feels like the developers had fun while making it, something that is missing from the newer titles especially.

Lewmonkaizer

luminouskaiser
I don't hate it, i love it actually, i guess people hate it for the music of the Guardian Acorn and the Piece of power, or maybe for the easy bosses, well i can't tell really, but i think the 2 primary complaints are these 2.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
Haven't really met anyone who's hated it, to be honest. I love it personally, but, then again, I love all the Zelda titles. I don't think there's too much to hate about it at all. Naysayers may nitpick at little things that annoy them in the game, but there's nothing broken or crippling in the game that makes it unplayable.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Hm, never seen it getting hated much. Then again, I don't see LA mentioned that much either, but I did know it has sort of a black sheep image. Personally, what I think could throw some people off is the inclusion of tons of Mario stuff in it. Not only the sidescrolling, but... well, learning ocarina songs from a Wart expy and fighting goombas in underground dungeons along with the copycat shy-guys did come off as a little unexpected. I mean, I know when the game was made it probably didn't look that out of place and the whole dream thing rationalize it well enough, but as someone who played it recently without knowing much about it beforehand (other than it being Zelda) and having grown up with the newer games on top of it, it did look... well, you know how, at first.

...but even then, that doesn't warrant hatred or being considered a serious inherent flaw. Not that I see at least. Closest thing I'd call to a flaw is the saving system, not for being bad as much as not very straightforward. Might be just me, but the button combination used for saving elluded me for a while... but I guess I brought that one on myself. (I have kind of a preference to use the game's own save system rather than the virtual console's, no matter how impractical the old system is)

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yeah, I've never seen that much hatred for the game, people seem to whine about TP and SS more than that, but, I couldn't really tell you why it got so hated. I mean, I thought it was great so, can't help you with that one. ;) People just don't like change!

RichardBlaziken

Mr. Blaziken
Link's Awakening is my favorite 2D Zelda, just beating out Minish Cap (though Minish Cap really feels like a more modern version of LA, a spiritual successor so to speak), and I've rarely heard complaints about it. I think the Mario enemies add a bit of charm to the game, honestly. People can be too rigid about what can and can't be in a Zelda game, and this game shows that it can break so many Zelda "rules" and still come out as one of the best Zelda games of it's time, and (from my point of view) one of the best Zelda games ever made.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
One of my bigger problems (and this is actually a huge plus for the game) is the ending. Without any spoilers, things happen in a way that are just...unexpected. Sure, there were little hints in retrospect, but honestly I didn't see it coming and it made me upset.

Another problem is that hte overworld is just...hnng confusing at times. It still requires that I get XYZ items to thoroughly traverse. :/

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't hate the game. One of the big problems with it is it doesn't fit well with the rest of the timeline. It's the same with ALttP. However, I like it, despite the stupid Mario references. It's not my favourite though and I've only played through it once, years ago, so I can't talk about it in depth.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
It's a great game, the only thing that irked me was the fact I had to change items every two seconds and bringing up the item screen and switching stuff every other screen was one of the most annoying things I've ever had to deal with in Zelda. I still love it though.

I personally really like LA. I love the Mario references. It's a nice way to tie two of their most success franchises together. Would I like to see it in every Zelda game? No, it would be too much. But it is a big part of LA's charm. LA also actually deals with some dark themes while still managing to feel like a light hearted game.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's a great game in story and adventure. I'll admit gameplay isn't that great, but the idea of leaving Hyrule, Zelda, and the Master Sword for a new adventure is great. It's a great game, and I guess people just don't get its story or don't enjoy it's similarities to the Oracle Games (even tho they are a rip-off of LA. It's my favorite handheld Zelda game. Rock on LA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom