• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why Do People Find "The Shadow Temple" in OoT So Scary?

Well, for starters, (keep in mind I haven't played this far in the original OoT) I've heard there is blood splattered in several places throughout the temple. Secondly, the guilletines that you find are very spooky and suggestive towards violent activitites that may have occured there in the past. Not to mention all the invisible walls, platforms, and such that you only see with the Lens of Truth. All in all, I think Nintendo tried to make this temple as scary as possible whilst keeping an E rating and delivered pretty well.

amaterasu

Writer
It's because of the ReDeads, Gibdoes, sometimes the music, the Wall and Floor Masters, the overal feel to the temple, and sometimes the walls saying stuff abotu HYRULE'S BLOODY PAST. wait, that might be the Bottom of the Well, which is basically the Shadow Temple for kid link.

I think the game should have never been rated E.
Maybe ages 7 and up like Wind Waker. I mean, in every Zelda game it's common you go around slashing away at everything that wants you dead :P Even when the N64 version was rated for everyone (even in Europe), the Virtual Console version was rated 12 and up, at least in Europe. Same for the 3DS version. Well in Europe, the rating for games is always diffrent than the American rating.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I didn't find nothing scary, but that's just me. :devil:

So you did not find anything that was not scary? In other words everything was scary?

Anyway, there are already other posts that will probably say what I'm about to say but I don't care.

ReDeads/Gibdos, blood on the walls, Wall Masters, Dead Hand (who has blood on him) and the music is somewhat unsettling.

Oh yeah, and have you even SEEN Bongo Bongo?

nafizl

the Sword Slinging Hero
Well in OoT 3d its just scarier because it JUST IS I mean those redeads and those scythes and the ghost ship!?Brr:S

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I never found it scary to begin with. But that's probably because I first played Ocarina of time when I was fourteen. And it was the gamecube version that comes with Master Quest too. I heard that in the original N64 version there were blood stained walls in the Shadow Temple, but that was changed in the gamecube version. Also, OoT first came out over a decade ago, when many people here were young kids. At that age, it would certainly seem scary. Of course, this is all just an educated guess of mine.

biggreenhawk35

Link's Hawk/Celtic Form
the reason i can't clear is because of that i mean i'm getting farther in it but it still scares me
why?
first off there's the creepy music and then the way it looks makes it look like an entrance to hell and monsters just pop out and you really don't know when to use your lens of truth

biggreenhawk35

Link's Hawk/Celtic Form
okay i take it back i cleared it the same day i posted the reasons i thought it was scary and bongo bongo quite easy really and then i went on to clear spirit temple today and will start ganon's castle shortly

but out of all the dungeons the shadow temple is a real dungeon with it being underground and all the guillotines

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
im getting ready to go in there and im not looking forward too it. from what i remember theres a lot of undead which is never fun and its dark. i also remember a room with spikes coming out the walls and the area right before the boss with the invisible platforms. they really took it seriously when they called it the shadow temple

Why Do People Find "The Shadow Temple" in OoT So Scary?
That's like asking why is "The Water Temple" in OoT so hard? And the answer is, because everyone else thinks so.

redeads
gibdos
dead hands
floormasters
wallmasters
"here lies Hyrules bloody history" (not exact quote)
music
blood
invisible puzzles/enemies
guillotines

bongo bongo is sort of humorous, but it is clearly the phantom of a man whose hands were chopped off, and it appears he was beheaded.

also, most of us were kids when we first played it. Nowadays, nothing really scares me. I can appreciate the atmosphere of things like the Well or Shadow Temple though.

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
It just gives you this creepy feeling and the monsters in it (especially the Redead) always scared the crap out of me when I was younger. Playing it now it's not so bad, but back then it was pretty scary. The Dead Hands were always frightening also as they use their extra hands to grab you and then it slowly scoots over to Link to attempt to eat him. o_O

Garo

Boy Wonder
The music, the dim lighting, the creepy portraits that speak of "Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred".

Chills man. Chills.

Big Octo

=^)
To be completely honest, the shadow temple has never scared me once in my life. Numerous horror movies and frightening images I've seen in my days makes the Shadow Temple seem like a joke. The themes are fitting, and the atmosphere feels eerie, yet it's not enough to scare me. I can see why others find it frightening, but it doesn't scare me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom