• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do Fans Of AoL Not Like Faces Of Evil And Wand Of Gamelon

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I mean, it's got the same style, the same gameplay, and the same frustratingly painful difficulty. The only real difference is that it has better graphics, better music and moves scenes (Bad ones but still shows an advancement compared to AoL). So why don't fans of AoL praise these games?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
CD-I games aren't comparable to AoL, I'm sorry. AoL is a solid game -- decent physics, hitboxes, etc. Enemies may deal a lot of damage, but it isn't remotely in the same difficulty ballpark as the CD-I games. The CDis are hated for every reason (most haven't even played them and are simply band-wagoning/basing opinion off of cutscenes), whereas the sole thing that turns most people off from AoL is the damage that enemies deal to you.

I love AoL, from the insane difficulty to the RPG elements, but the CD-I games just suck. Period.

Even if we ignore the lame cutscenes and whatnot, FoE and WoG have TERRIBLE physics and gameplay. It's hard to play because it's terribly programmed. Awful physics, awful hit detection, items that are extremely awkward to use, scenery where it's hard to tell where you can walk/jump and where you can't, etc etc. AoL might be hard, but it's well designed and programed.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Do you guys know the Angry Video Game Nerd? He reviewed both the Adventure of Link, and the CD-i games, the former wasn't really critizied by him, it was just really hard, but the difficulty came from tough enemies and "fair" challenges to the player. In the CD-i games you fall through platforms at random moments, the plot is cheesy and the voice actors we're assasinated by Nintendo assasins for their poor work, and overall the game is broken. For more info, click the link below, and watch the video.

Rated 18A Language and sexuality!

AVGN: CD-I Part 2 – Zelda Wand of Gamelon | Cinemassacre Productions

Rated 18A Language and sexuality!

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
He hasn't made an episode in ages, but I think that's because of the movie. Him and the Nostalgia Critic are my two favorite web shows.

Yeah, I heard he just finished shooting it so it won't be long before we get to see it :D

Also, how many people actually played the CD-i games?

I would really like to see Mases do a walkthrough for the rest of the CD-i games so I can see a good playthrough. I gotta call my one friend, I remember back in 2000 or so he showed me his CD-i and said he had the Zelda games, I might pick it up if it works.

BTW, AVGN is awesome and I can't wait to see the movie.

Ganondork

goo
Well, speaking as an Adventure of Link fan, it's because it takes Zelda's canon, and spits on it. Promptly after spitting on it, it stomps on it with its poorly drawn foot, killing it. Burying the canon carelessly, the CD-i games then puts on the canon's face, which is cut off if the now destroyed canon, pretending to be it. Once everyone is good and mad, the CD-i games resurrects the canon, surgically puts the canon's face back onto its head, and promptly blows its own brains out.

That being said, just because a game has similar gameplay features, does not mean that they should be comparable. Zelda is Zelda; a well-known series from Nintendo that millions of people have bought and played over the years. CD-i Zelda is a poorly produced video game that Nintendo tried with all its might to shove under the bed, but alas, people rarely forget. That being said, I have nothing against CD-i Zelda as a game; I have everything against it as a Zelda game. I still occasionally look up all the cutscenes just to get a cheap laugh. I've even watched DARK MASTER stream it in his chat last Summer. Watching it then, I thought of it like I do now; it would have been better had it not bared the name "Zelda" alongside it. Not because then it would be ridiculed as its own game, but because it wouldn't tarnish Zelda in the eyes of gamers who look for reasons to insult the series.

It takes more than just similar gameplay to make me enjoy a game like I do another. It requires a compelling story, beautifully made characters, and so many other elements that make the game worth the time and money spent on it. I can't say that The Wand of Gamelon or The Faces of Evil will ever quite do that for me; not just because I don't own the system for it, but also because I've only watched gameplay on those two for comedic reasons. I just can't respect them as Zelda games - as video games perhaps, but they aren't on the level that Zelda is at.

Seth said:
Even if we ignore the lame cutscenes and whatnot, FoE and WoG have TERRIBLE physics and gameplay. It's hard to play because it's terribly programmed. Awful physics, awful hit detection, items that are extremely awkward to use, scenery where it's hard to tell where you can walk/jump and where you can't, etc etc. AoL might be hard, but it's well designed and programed.

Having never played it before, I wasn't aware of these gameplay issues. However, now that I'm aware of this, this is no doubt yet another reason why Adventure of Link fans don't usually care for the CD-i games.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I pretty much agree with most of what everyone else has said. The gameplay is rather awkward in AoL and it took me 3 years to 100% this game but I found the gameplay to be even more awkward in FoE, WoG and the one you neglected to mention ZA. In all honesty, I have only played about a quarter of WoG and that was simply because it carried the "Legend of Zelda" in it's title. However that was the first (and last time) I ever played something non-canon to the LoZ series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom