• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Can't Hypocrites Speak/give Advice?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Lots of times I hear people say "you have no room to talk," or other such things. But why can't hypocrites give advice? It's advice all the same. And they're still human beings...just slightly bit harsh ones but that's irrelevant!

I've always been confused by this myself. Whenever I'm accused of being a hypocrite I just respond with something like "What does that have to do with anything?" Because, really, it doesn't. Being a hypocrite does not have any impact whatsoever on the truth or validity of your, or my, or anybody else's words.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
People who say that are just people who can't handle the advice that is being given, as an excuse to continue making poor decisions. They don't understand that the advice is coming from someone who had to learn the hard way. In having already realized the error of their ways, they pass on their wisdom so that someone else doesn't make those same mistakes. Even then, take someone like me, for example. I, on many occasions, would benefit from my own words, but I hardly ever go through with them. Yet, I still try to spread my wisdom to others so that people stronger than me can make a difference. My being a hypocrite doesn't negate the truth that is being spoken. It doesn't take away from the fact that YOU can be something greater. Just because someone used to or is still doing wrong, doesn't make it okay for you to do the same.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think if you're being a hypocrite in the advice you give, people will see your advice as null and void because if you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk. Personally I don't want someone to advise me to do one thing when they openly do the opposite.

I think if you're being a hypocrite in the advice you give, people will see your advice as null and void because if you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk. Personally I don't want someone to advise me to do one thing when they openly do the opposite.

So if I shoot a man, and then turn around and say to you 'Hey, don't shoot people, it's bad' that advice becomes void because I'm 'a hypocrite'? That logic does not compute with me. Obvious hyperbole, but the point still stands.

Beauts

So if I shoot a man, and then turn around and say to you 'Hey, don't shoot people, it's bad' that advice becomes void because I'm 'a hypocrite'? That logic does not compute with me. Obvious hyperbole, but the point still stands.

If I was asking if I should shoot someone, I would not likely go "the person who shot someone said not to, so I wont", I would probably question why if it's so bad to do that, that person did it themselves?

If I was asking if I should shoot someone, I would not likely go "the person who shot someone said not to, so I wont", I would probably question why if it's so bad to do that, that person did it themselves?

See, that would make sense in certain scenarios, but I think the aim of the thread was more at times when people know the 'hypocrite' is right and are just too stubborn to admit they themselves are wrong, so they play the hypocrite card to change the subject/get around the truth of the matter.

Beauts

See, that would make sense in certain scenarios, but I think the aim of the thread was more at times when people know the 'hypocrite' is right and are just too stubborn to admit they themselves are wrong, so they play the hypocrite card to change the subject/get around the truth of the matter.

But if you know they're right about something already you wouldn't need to ask, would you? You would already know what the right advice was, in that case.

I see the point, don't worry. I know what you guys are getting at, when that person is right then why does it matter? But I personally can't stand hypocrisy. If I ask someone who does B whether I should do A or B, and they say A, I'm not going to take them seriously at all. I would either think they're trying to lead me astray somehow, or I would be more interested in questioning why they're doing the total opposite of the principles they are dishing out. That is just not for me. I would rather someone say as they do, even if they were wrong. At least it shows some conviction or belief in what they're saying.

I feel like in most situations where this is relevant, it's with a friend, and you are genuinely trying to help. Them saying you have no room to talk is just plain meanness and an exploitation of your confidences. Considering you went through the same thing, you should absolutely be able to give advice. Making the correct choice or the one that works out in that situation does not make you an authority on that problem, it makes you lucky or it makes you sensible, but every person's plight is different. Making the wrong choice, which is presumably why you are being chided by someone, gives you the right to give advice just like being right would, except now you can say what might happen if it all goes to crap with this other person.

Basically I feel it is lashing out by a stressed person who really wants good advice but is also angry at their situation and not inclined to hear anything they don't want to hear without a little animosity. Empathy is way better than sympathy when it comes to helping friends, and that can only be shared with a friend who has gone through a similar deal.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Here's the thing: Hypocrites are normally barred from dispensing advice because they don't live up to their own words. To have them say something, but see them not enact it in their daily walks, demonstrates a pure case of misrepresentation. In short, the multitudes view hypocrites as liars, and liars aren't to be believed, as far as the world is concerned. Sure, a hypocrite can pretend--heck, even act--to follow their spurious counsel, but eventually the truth will catch up to them.

This is the reason why people tend to distrust the words of a "hypocrite"; however, I'm not of the mindset to outright silence them from speaking their mind. Sometimes people lend some very practical advice without necessarily agreeing to it. The "necessitude" of doing what you say is pretty stereotypical in this world, whereas good can come out of it.

To expand on that thought a little, there are way too many stereotypes which put people on the spot. The weight of expectations is enough to change a person entirely, although it can divide their personalities also, effectively making them give diverse responses, depending on the circumstances. In that line of reasoning, they may seem hypocritical, when in reality they're consistently themselves giving consistent answers. ;P

Nevertheless, there also comes a point when people are intentionally hypocritical. They care more about gaining their own profits through two-faced lies rather than telling the truth, which is a blatant stigma of hypocrisy--meaning, it happens often enough that hypocrites are resented by the masses. Distrust springs up when an individual is purposefully spreading untruth and slander, all in the favor of slaking a false sense of superiority.

Between these two dichotomies, the latter is easily more culpable for giving "hypocrites" a bad image. Throughout history humankind has exploited their peers by way of deception, and now those who just happen to have split personalities and various responses to the various scenarios suffer needlessly for those misdeeds.

Hypocrites can certainly give advice, but, knowing they're hypocrites, who will respect their advice?

I dunno about you but... I respect someone who can walk the walk and talk the talk. Y'know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom