• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft Who's playing RDR2?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I read the title of this thread as who's playing R2D2!

Star-Wars-Last-Jedi-New-R2d2-Actor-Jimmy.jpg

Mido

Version 1
I'll definitely get to playing it soon enough once I get batteries for the ol' remotes. Not sure how my expectations are for this one considering how much I adored its predecessor.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yes, I'm playing and enjoying it. The pacing in RDR2 (and the first game) is really meticulous and effective at creating a believable world against the 1899 setting, buuut the gameplay can be tryingly cumbersome at times. I'm enjoying the story and characters despite the slightly inconvenient, perplexing technical decisions (fast travel should be fast and not an unskippable cinematic riding montage). Compared to Ubisofty titles, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I guess, RDR2 is a fresh of breath air that's thankfully devoid of all the hand-holding measures and just lets you explore at your own pace, doling out fair rewards along the way. Only thing I truly can't stand are bounty hunters, which lock off progression near a story beat or other side activity, but otherwise it's an immensely engaging game and strong GotY contender.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Why aren't there more cowboy simulators, I've often wondered.

Because only Rockstar is capable of doing the western video game justice.

Yeah I'm only a few hours in and I'm liking it so far. It's slow paced but satisfying, like a fine dinner, but I expect the pacing to either pick up or become insufferable later on.

It's mechanically deep and takes some time to get the hang of all the complexities. This game isn't shallow and it won't hold your hand, kiddos. It ain't your mommy. It's your daddy and you either man up or it owns you. It doesn't seem overly difficult to me, so far. But it expects you to know what you're doing.

It's rare to find a game like that anymore. Rockstar is the last of a dying breed.

Already it is more of an RPG than anything Bethesda's barfed out since 2011. Not a whole lot in the way of statistical roleplaying, but there are tons of customization options and little opportunities to define Marston's character. This is how an RPG should be, imo. More playing of a role and less dickering about with min maxing spreadsheets.

Control's and interface take some getting used to. I don't think I've ever had to search online to find out how to quit and save the game. Learning what combination of buttons do what takes some doing, but it all adds up to some serious interactive depth that video games are woefully lacking.

The UI art direction is pretty slick. Minimal but stylish. Enough to be noticeable for its looks but unintrusive during play. The environmental graphics rival the Witcher 3 and Horizon: Zero Dawn for sheer stun level, and for once the character models look just as mind blowing. No horrendous HZD big head mode, crazed facial expressions and Wallace and Gromit teeth.

It's woefully obvious gamers are blue balled for something, anything to play for all the fawning we've been pouring all over this game. Fortunately RDR2 is no slouch for content and play time. Should tide us over for the half decade or so before whatever next developer still remains to release something worth its hype.

Last edited:

Ninja

Well well well
Just to avoid spoilers until I beat it, yes I am playing it. Yes it’s an amazing game with so much detail and depth. Yes, you should all get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom