• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who or What is Dark Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Having never played Zelda II, my first encounter with Dark Link was in "Ocarina of Time." However, I later played "The Adventure of Link" and was a bit confused when I saw him as the final boss.

oot dark link 2.jpg zelda-2-links-shadow1.png

Immediately, this brought up the question, "Is it the same guy?"

Well in the case of Dark Link from Zelda II, from what I understand he is Link's final test before he can receive the Triforce of Courage from the Triforce Keeper. This means that he had no connection to Ganon's minions who were trying to kill Link, right? Well then why in OoT did he attack Link? The only logical explanation I can think of is that they are separate entities.

Dark Link also makes many other appearances, such as in "Oracle of Ages," "Four Swords," "Spirit Tracks," ect. However, they are not as important as the ones in OoT an AoL. He does make a semi-important appearance in "Twilight Princess" though. In a tale that is told to Link and Midna, a few Dark Links portray the "Dark Interlopers." However, I do not think they have anything to do with them.

fc5b8d4f1d2c69e6668c092f0c275f451228267311_full.jpg

So now there are a few questions I'd like to hear your opinions about.

1.) Are there more than one Dark Links? (I say yes.)
2.)If so, are they their own personal beings, or are they created by people such as the Triforce Keeper?
3.)Who created the Dark Link in the Water Temple? Ganondorf?

If you can answer these or have any other questions, post a reply! :)

Djinn

and Tonic
A little bit of the nature behind Dark Link is explained by a maiden in Four Swords Adventures.

Long ago, a dark tribe invaded Hyrule. They were defeated and imprisoned within the mirror. The tribe's mirror prison was then secreted away and hidden in the forest temple to sever its connection to this world. That mirror reveals the wickedness within a person and brings it to life. It's an item of terrible, dark power. No good can come from this. Shadow Link!! Could he be your evil reflection, cast by the Dark Mirror?" — White Maiden

Ganon used the dark mirror which was a gateway to the Dark World to create Dark Link. Who then became a recurring miniboss in the game. In TP dark Links appeared as a representation of a great evil from Link's point of view. This could still be true when he appeared in AoL. In AoL the last boss was meant to be a final challenge before Link was considered worthy to obtain the Triforce of Courage. He had overcome obstacles, monsters, dungeons and then he had to overcome himself. Likely to humble Link as he had become so powerful and capable to defeat any creature that came in his way, he was then faced with the task of defeating his own dark nature within himself. Only then he was allowed to take the triforce.

The appearance in OoT could also be similar. A representation of Link's own dark side that all people have buried within given form in the world. No more mention is given on his origin. Some theories saay the dark tree he emerges from is somehow connected. Or that he was a challenge set in the Water Temple set forth by the sages.

The mention of the Dark Mirror being used to seal a "dark tribe" corresponds with the backstory of TP where the mirror of twilight was used to seal the dark interlopers in the twili realm. Although the Dark Mirror leads to the Dark World, a similar one if not the same one that appeared in LttP as Ganon's corrupted Sacred Realm. So Ganondorf could have used the mirror or some other properties of the dark world to create shadow Link when necessary. He has created a phantom version of himself on more than one occasion so a magical copy of Link would not be outside of his abilities.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Oh, see I never knew that about the Dark Mirror... So wait, you're saying that Dark Link isn't just one person, rather an evil reflection of Link that can be created at any time?

Nicole

luke is my wife
Oh, see I never knew that about the Dark Mirror... So wait, you're saying that Dark Link isn't just one person, rather an evil reflection of Link that can be created at any time?

Yes, this is something I agree with as well. Many people believe the analogy in the cutscene with Lanayru was just that the Dark Links represent the peoples' greed and selfish desires on the outside. You can check out this link here: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/your-shadow-self/
That is an article about the player's relationship to Dark Link. I found it interesting myself.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Yes, this is something I agree with as well. Many people believe the analogy in the cutscene with Lanayru was just that the Dark Links represent the peoples' greed and selfish desires on the outside. You can check out this link here: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/your-shadow-self/
That is an article about the player's relationship to Dark Link. I found it interesting myself.

Wow, that was a powerful article... Thanks for showing that to me! It really made me think!

T Edoc

Made AluminiumMasterSword
Romani Ranch, Termina (Hopefully...*sigh*)
I believe Dark Links are actual people - most of the time at least - who are shadow magic weilders able of changing their shape to look like Link when they see him.
Remember the room in which was Dark Link in Ocarina of Time? It was a room, but it looked like a sea. That guy had the ability of chaning the appearance of things, as when he died the room got back to its room look.

Twilight Princess also shows us the 'Dark Interlopers' as Dark Links. Those Dark Interlopers are real people.
In the vision shown to Link, those Dark Interlopers are shown removing Link and one of them taking Link's actual shape and colour. I guess that means something.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I always see Dark Link as the evil within Link rather than as a separate being. I think the cutscene in Twilight Princess implies that Dark Link represents the lust for power within Link.

T

TheDrunkZora

I always see Dark Link as the evil within Link rather than as a separate being. I think the cutscene in Twilight Princess implies that Dark Link represents the lust for power within Link.

Even if it doesn't actually end up being like this, I like this theory. It gives link more depth as a character. However, even if it is the player who wants link to have limitless power and just the ability to kill anything with a slight press of a button, link seems a bit more..err...pure. He always ends up playing a much more untainted archetype.

Maybe it's a lust for something else. The entirety of the triforce rather than just power itself?

A

afternoonteapot

I don't know if all the dark links are the same...for example...i don't get this by now but most of the zelda-fans are doing this timelines and therefore we have several links and zeldas right? so maybe we have several dark links as well. On one side the dark/evil part of link (which kinda reminds me of dragonball when god splitted himself into good and evil to actually become god) and on the other side the shadows that came through the dark mirror... in four swords adventures are so many of them, i don't think that they all have a strong relation to link (like i don't think they are a part of him)
there are so many games with a 'dark version' of the hero, i think they are made to see if one can break out of the routine...i mean they always say dark link is fighting like link is used to, so dark link comes up to see if one can improvise or think of new tactics rather quikly...sorry for my bad english, i hope you can still see what i mean...
in short i just wanted to say that the reason for dark link is to see if link can think of new tactics and so fight himself, and to show (in case of TP) that everyone has a dark side. and yes, i think too that there is more than one dark link (which is seen for example in TP and 4 swords adventures) and the way how he is created depends on the game as well (which would mean it depends on the time, but like i said i'm not into this yet)
but mainly he seems to be created from the dark mirror...

T

TrueVirtue

Ocorina of Time- Dark Link- one- strong- leaps down under the water after getting hit, even with the final hit. (may not have been defeated)
Adventure of Link- Dark Link- one- strong- came out of mirror after Link copleted the final test.
Four Swords Adventure- Shadow Link- many- weak- created by Gannon useing the Dark world mirror.
Oracle of Seasons- Shadow Link- many- weak- created via Verin's magic during final boss fight.
Spirit Tracks- ...I think your confused here.

Notice a pattern?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I think Dark Link, in every appearance, is connected to the Dark World/Sacred Realm that exist in those games. The mirror gateways allow Link to pass to the other side, but in OoT it worked the other way, allowing Dark Link to the Light Realm. The Dark Links in that way actually have a connection to Link, as the 'reflection' though they are also their own person.

Personally I also this this ties in with the Sheikah and why they 'died out' (can't connect with the other side if the realm is sealed off, right?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom