• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda game did the series Justice?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'd say the WW did the series the least justice. Deviating so far from what the fans wanted and believed Zelda to be that the negative repercussions still plague the franchise and its fanbase to this day.

I liked the game but it really wasn't the smartest move to pull.
The only reason you say that is because of the artstyle, which is by no means a way to actually judge a game's legacy.

Salem

SICK
The only reason you say that is because of the artstyle, which is by no means a way to actually judge a game's legacy.
The artstyle wasn't even that deviating from the norm. All it looks like is alttp in full 3D, that's all.

I know it's cliche, but OOT. It's not the best zelda in my opinion but that's the game that set the standard, not ALttP, which was a really poor game by zelda standards.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

The artstyle of WW turned off half the fans of OOT from buying the game. Regardless of my personal dislike for the toon aesthetic I stand by that it was a stupid move.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've always felt Ocarina of Time is the series best game. You have to give credit for A Link to the Past, which is a game I do love, but OoT is the game that made the series well renowned. It could be argued that OoT is the series' greatest success, and as a result OoT is still considered one of the best games of all time. Like I literally just googled “best videogame of all time” and OoT was the first game on the list of titles shown by google.

JBX9001

The Hero of Stars
Ah, this is a tough one for me! I enjoy a large number of games in The Legend of Zelda series, but I honestly think that the one game that did the series justice is going to vary between fans, since it basically turns out to be the game that's their favorite. While A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time did extremely well and gained the series much success and popularity, MY personal favorite is Wind Waker! The characters were really expressive and as one of the first cel-shaded games I saw, it looked freakin' amazing! Plus, it's the first time we see the king of Hyrule, that was pretty cool! And no, King Harkinian from the CD-i games does not count!

Wind Waker definitely.

ALttP and OoT were awesome and revolutionary and served the series well but WW really pushed the boat out (sorry fot he pun).

OoT and MM made us comfortable in the 3D Zelda scene whereas ALttP served future installments well as a basis, but unlike the 3D titles, the 2D titles have never had that seriously risky push that WW was tot he 3D scene.

WW split the community down the middle, scared everyone to hell when it was first revealed and dared to violently shove the series off of a cliff without the security of a Loftwing to catch it.
But it was pushed into new territory that was enjoyable, eye opening and pushed the series conceptually rather than formulaically.

The sense of discovery came back to Zelda like it had done in LoZ, ALttP and MM before it. Islands in the distance held exciting mystery as you approached. We were able to traverse a world never seen before in gaming, a game navigated mostly by sea. No other game had done it as well as Wind Waker did and no game (in my opinion) has since.

It was a risk, it looked weird as hell and the idea of nautical travel had people morbidly curious but it all worked out. WW is my favourite video game of all time, not just my favourite Zelda game. I do think that most people cant look behind what the game looks like, and I can understand that. But WW is wonderfully constructed, well put together game that refined and introduced a lot of fresh exciting potential into the series.

Thanks to WW we never know what to expect with future installments of the Zelda series.

I truly think that Wind Waker did the series justice in more than just function, it helped flesh out the series to what it is at its core; a series of discovery and adventure. WW is a Zelda game with its heart on its sleeve. It may not be a traditional land-based Zelda but I think, as far as what the Zelda series stands for, WW is the one game that has truly done the series justice

I am going to say Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 on the NES. Both games were mostly open world masterpieces. Every Zelda game after these two became more and more linear. To the end where TP and SS were almsot totally linear. ZeldaU (from what we know) is going to buck this trend and become more open world and less linear, like the first two NES games were.

Salem

SICK
The artstyle of WW turned off half the fans of OOT from buying the game. Regardless of my personal dislike for the toon aesthetic I stand by that it was a stupid move.
The only reason it did was because of the poor way Nintendo presented it, otherwise there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom