• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Way Should I Lay My Xbox360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was over my friends house playing Portal 2 when I went to go turn it off and I realized that his Xbox 360 was laying horizontally. I asked him why he has it layed down horizontally and he said because it's better for the disk or something along the lines of that (I'm not exactly sure what he said to be honest).

I always layed mine down vertically for the sole reason of it was a better fit sitting it vertically on my wall unit that horizontally. It never occured to me that there might be actual benefits to laying it one way or the other. After thinking about it to me it seems better to lay it vertically so it doesn't overheat as quick but I'm still not sure.

So are there any benefits to laying it one way over the other? Is there a certain way to lay it or is it all up to personal preference?

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Laying it anyway you want is a personal perference. I personally lay mine vertical (up and down). I think it looks cooler that way myself.

Big Octo

=^)
It doesn't really matter. However, when placing it vertically, do not place it one carpet to rug, it'll cover the vents on the bottom and can lead to scratched discs.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Lay it horizontally. There is an extremely good reason to do so. The 360 has nothing to hold disks in place, that means that a slight bump or jolt can knock it off track and damage the disk and system. You will not be happy if you lose a disk this way, or lose your entire 360. Also, having it vertically is harder on the moving parts of the system, they have to work harder. This contributes to overheating of the system and shortens its lifespan. Another problem with having it vertically is that it covers one of the fan ports which leads to even more overheating since it disrupts the airflow inside of the system. This makes a red ring/light of death far more likely.

I strongly recommend you lay it horizontally. It is far better for the 360 and your system will last a lot longer and will have far fewer problems with overheating and you'll get fewer scratches on your disks. There is no good reason to have it vertically. "Looking cool" is not a good reason. Not when it can cause things like overheating.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
For the love of god, lay it horizontal. My friend broke his Modern Warfare 2 disc because it was vertical. He was playing with the play 'n' charge (a wired charger) and pulled the console on its side, breaking the game. Luckily, the console was fine, but he is constantly borrowing my game to this day. LAY IT SIDEWAYS!

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
For the love of god, lay it horizontal. My friend broke his Modern Warfare 2 disc because it was vertical. He was playing with the play 'n' charge (a wired charger) and pulled the console on its side, breaking the game. Luckily, the console was fine, but he is constantly borrowing my game to this day. LAY IT SIDEWAYS!

Exactly. This is because of the first problem I mentioned. There is nothing holding the disks in place. So movement like is mentioned here, will more than likely destroy the disk inside. This is a very good reason to lay it horizontal.

Wow thank you so much everyone. Matt, thank you exspecially! I had no idea of the technical problems that could occur from laying it in a simple position and I'll lay it horizontally right away.

This thread can be closed because my question is answered and I don't see a reason for more discussion.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
The 360 has nothing to hold disks in place, that means that a slight bump or jolt can knock it off track and damage the disk and system.

It should be pointed out that there is something holding the discs in place when the console is standing vertically. When standing in such a way, if you open the disc compartment and look at the lower rim there are two little 'contact points' for lack of a better word. They stop the disc from flying out.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
You should lay it so more than half of it is sticking off the edge of the table so hopefully somebody withh throw something at it and it will fall off and shatter into 1000 pieces and end Microsoft's reign of terror.

:P

Just kidding.

I keep my Wii horizontal and nothing bad happens, so I'd say horizontal with an Xbox too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom