• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which was Darker?

Which was Darker?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Majora's Mask and Twilight princess are both dark games (For Zelda standards).

Which one do you think was the most dark, and why do you think so?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
TP has a dark colour palette but is not a particularly dark game. Majoras Mask is much darker and more depressing experience not only due to the plot where there is a big ass moon going to crush everyone dead, but because it allows the player to witness and experience the emotional turmoil of a doomed people.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'd actually argue that OoT is darker than either of them.
A 10-year-old does what he thinks is going to save his kingdom, only to see that what he did led it to ruin. Cut to him waking up seven years later, in the body of a man but with the mind of a child, and having to understand all the things he's witnessed, and no doubt partially blaming himself for it. Seeing his childhood home taken over by monsters. Multiple friends dying in front of him. Stuff that even grown men shouldn't see being pushed onto this young kid (in mind). Imagine that. Link would be ****ed up after that experience.
Majora's Mask, while dark, I wouldn't argue is darker than OoT. It deals with death, yes, but that's about it.
Add in some of the backstory elements. The Well. The slow death of Link's father figure. The brainwashing of Nabooru. Bongo Bongo. The Hyrulian Civil War.
Twilight Princess, while physically dark, doesn't go as dark atmostpherically as even Wind Waker (which actually can get pretty dark in itself).
So between those two? MM. But overall? OoT.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
"We're all going to die" -Majora's Mask

"I'm a kid with depression who may have caused my kingdom's demise, but it seems to be ok" -OoT

I'd say MM is darker.

Miss Cucco

Mrs. DekuNut
There is a theory about Majora's Mask being about depression, that was pretty dark, I don't see how Twilight Princess can be that Dark and depressing. Overall Majora's Mask was pretty creepy

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I'd actually argue that OoT is darker than either of them.
A 10-year-old does what he thinks is going to save his kingdom, only to see that what he did led it to ruin. Cut to him waking up seven years later, in the body of a man but with the mind of a child, and having to understand all the things he's witnessed, and no doubt partially blaming himself for it. Seeing his childhood home taken over by monsters. Multiple friends dying in front of him. Stuff that even grown men shouldn't see being pushed onto this young kid (in mind). Imagine that. Link would be ****ed up after that experience.
Majora's Mask, while dark, I wouldn't argue is darker than OoT. It deals with death, yes, but that's about it.
Add in some of the backstory elements. The Well. The slow death of Link's father figure. The brainwashing of Nabooru. Bongo Bongo. The Hyrulian Civil War.
Twilight Princess, while physically dark, doesn't go as dark atmostpherically as even Wind Waker (which actually can get pretty dark in itself).
So between those two? MM. But overall? OoT.

Wow, I never thought about it like that before! I can agree that Link in OoT goes through some pretty rough, traumatic experiences. If you think about it, in MM, since you're always going back in time, you ultimately prevent the land of Termina from being destroyed, and there's only three characters who actually end up dying (the ones who represent the 3 main masks). In OoT, we know that most of the Sages die during and right before the adult portion of the game (except Rauru and Nabooru I believe), and before that, we lost the Great Deku Tree. Not to mention many soldiers lost their lives trying to go against Ganon. So for the most part, the kingdom of Hyrule is destroyed. Termina never actually meets with the same, terrible fate.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Wow, I never thought about it like that before! I can agree that Link in OoT goes through some pretty rough, traumatic experiences. If you think about it, in MM, since you're always going back in time, you ultimately prevent the land of Termina from being destroyed, and there's only three characters who actually end up dying (the ones who represent the 3 main masks). In OoT, we know that most of the Sages die during and right before the adult portion of the game (except Rauru and Nabooru I believe), and before that, we lost the Great Deku Tree. Not to mention many soldiers lost their lives trying to go against Ganon. So for the most part, the kingdom of Hyrule is destroyed. Termina never actually meets with the same, terrible fate.
And Dampe. He died offscreen.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What are you talking about? None of the sages died in OoT

In OOT only Rauru remains of the old sages, the others are killed by The Dorf. In Twilight Princess we get to see the old sages because their murder as averted by Links return to the earlier time period and warning the King about Ganondorfs attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom