• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which version of BotW2 would you buy if it was cross-gen?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
This is more of a hypothetical thread. Rumors of the so-called Switch Pro are aplenty, and have been so for an amount of time right now, with some people hypothesizing that it's gonna be a machine capable of 4K.

If a Switch Pro were to release in 2021, what would be the chances of BotW2 to launch alongside it as cross-gen? How would you react to those news?

Zelda is no stranger to cross-gen releases. We've had both Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild as cross-gen releases. But seeing as both the Wii and Gamecube and the Wii U and Switch both have similar infrastructure/power level, this would be the first time Nintendo would sport a cross-gen release with significant differences between the two versions.

Let's say that Nintendo did release a Switch Pro capable of 4K resolution and 60 frames per second - or 4K at the very least. We could bet that BotW2 would look absolutely gorgeous on such a machine.

But how would you choose to purchase BotW2? Would BotW2 alone make the plunge into a Switch Pro worth it for you? If you're getting one anyway, are you considering getting BotW2 as well? Or does graphical fidelity not matter that much to you, would you be happy owning the 'inferior' version anyway?

I don't usually care about frames or resolution unless they're bloody tragic.

However, everything around the Switch isn't built to last. The docks go faulty, the controllers drift... So based on that alone I'd likely buy a Switch Pro if those issues were fixed just to future proof the damn thing.

So then, yeah. I'd buy the Pro version of BotW2.

Why would there be two versions between the Switch and Switch Pro? Nintendo has already stated the Switch is about half-way through its lifespan, so it's reasonable to assume any hypothetical upgraded version of the console is still considered to be in the Switch family, and therefore is like the DSi or New 3DS to their original consoles.

And forgive me if I'm wrong; I'm not smart, but I don't think resolution and framerate is hardcoded. So the console itself could determine those things through running the software. You have to consider that they're gonna really screw up eShop listings if they have separate console versions on the same eShop, too.

That said, I didn't get a New 3DS and I don't have any intention of getting a Switch Pro if they end up being more than a rumor. I couldn't care less about 4K resolution, either, if that's it's main selling point. So I absolutely have every intention of getting BotW2 for my current system.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Why would there be two versions between the Switch and Switch Pro? Nintendo has already stated the Switch is about half-way through its lifespan, so it's reasonable to assume any hypothetical upgraded version of the console is still considered to be in the Switch family, and therefore is like the DSi or New 3DS to their original consoles.

And forgive me if I'm wrong; I'm not smart, but I don't think resolution and framerate is hardcoded. So the console itself could determine those things through running the software. You have to consider that they're gonna really screw up eShop listings if they have separate console versions on the same eShop, too.

I am thinking the same as this too. If they release a Switch Pro surely at most they'll have some enhanced graphics when the same game card is inserted into the Switch Pro. I also intend to get BOTW2 on my current system.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Depends on the pricing. I don’t think I could drop too much on an upgraded Switch, I’d probably stick to the original.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'll likely buying the potential Switch Pro, but as others have said, I don't expect there to be two different versions of the game. There will likely be just one version that is enhanced on the more powerful hardware. If there were two versions though, I'd buy the version made for the newer system.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
woah, hold your horses
the switch is only 4 years old
any "Switch Pro" that they might be releasing would be the same gen, like the 3DS XL. BOTW has framerate issues already, so I'm guessing if they did release one it'd be better able to handle the engine that botw uses (and therefore botw2)
I wouldn't expect it to be one of those "XL only" type games either as that'd seriously cut into their profit

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If Nintendo were to release a Switch Pro, I can't imagine it would be a new console. It's probably just be a mid-gen hardware update along the lines of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

That being said, I've never felt incentivized to buy the mid-gen upgrades. I'd probably buy the game for the base Switch.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think if there is Switch Pro it'd be considered as an upgrade to the regular Switch and not a next gen console, I think I might consider buying an upgraded version if it offered enough of a difference for the upgrade to be justified.

I'm starting to think the odds of this happening are pretty low, though. Assuming the Switch will have a standard 6 year lifespan before an actual next gen release, with 2021 rapidly approaching and marking 5 years since its release, the Switch might be near the end of its lifespan.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I can only afford to get a console every few years and this year I got a PS4 so I will be getting the base version if there are differences, but like the others said I feel like the Switch Pro will be more like the "New" 3DS was to the 3DS. Only reason I got a "new" 3DS is cuz my old one's L and R buttons quit working other wise I would have just stuck with my original.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I think if there is Switch Pro it'd be considered as an upgrade to the regular Switch and not a next gen console, I think I might consider buying an upgraded version if it offered enough of a difference for the upgrade to be justified.

I'm starting to think the odds of this happening are pretty low, though. Assuming the Switch will have a standard 6 year lifespan before an actual next gen release, with 2021 rapidly approaching and marking 5 years since its release, the Switch might be near the end of its lifespan.
I think the switch will have a longer than average lifespan and probably run for nearly as long as the PS5 and XSX do both due to the short lifespan of the wii U and the more long-term success of the 3DS as a family, which they seem to be inspired by judging by the mini switch
also, the switch came out in 2017

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think the switch will have a longer than average lifespan and probably run for nearly as long as the PS5 and XSX do both due to the short lifespan of the wii U and the more long-term success of the 3DS as a family, which they seem to be inspired by judging by the mini switch
also, the switch came out in 2017

I wouldn't expect them to run that long. When competing alongside the PS4 and Xbone, the Switch still had the benefit of receiving some cross-console games. With the significant hardware edge given to the PS5 and XboS/X, I wouldn't expect too many of them anymore.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Switch is still a bit too new for a new console, but I do think an upgradeable model is due. I think it would be smart of Nintendo to release a new Zelda game w/ an upgraded Switch. I would buy the Switch Pro to play it.

If they are planning to release a Switch Pro in the next 18-24 months, I think it's almost a guarantee that Zelda will be a launch title. Since right now, if they just released BotW2 for regular Switch, it wouldn't sell any hardware, only software. Almost everybody that wanted a Switch to play Zelda, has already bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom