• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Platform Provided The Best Experiences For You This Year?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
The amount of time that I spent on my 3DS this year was staggering. Nintendo really outdid themselves with their first party titles like Fire Emblem Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon, and the new Streetpass games. There was also a few great third party titles like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rune Factory 4, two Shin Megami Tensei titles and two new additions to the Etrian Odyssey franchise. There's quite a few more games that I'd love to mention, but I don't want this post to be any longer than it needs to be.

While I'm still shaking my head at Nintendo for disabling Spotpass feature on Swapnote, the 3DS had little to no flaws when it came to selection this year. 2014 doesn't look too shabby, either.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I have to say that the Wii U provided the best experiences for me this year. While there may not have been as many as I had with, say, the 3DS, the few that I had were far and away more meaningful and memorable than any I've had in the last few years on any platform.

First off, if you haven't had Nintendo Land on at Christmas with the extended family all around trying to catch Marios and hunt ghosts and throwing ninja stars at everything but Takamaru's Castle, then you haven't played that game. Everyone was playing it, even my 80 year-old Aunt Marge who'd never touched a video game in her life. It brought everyone together in a spirit of fun and helped make Christmas pretty special. My Xbox, Playstation, or 3DS could never hope to do something which comes so naturally to the Wii U.

Second, The Wind Waker HD took me back to my golden age of gaming. In 2003 I spent my time playing games like Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Halo: Combat Evolved, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and, of course, The Wind Waker. It was the time in my life when games truly ceased to be toys and became a more serious hobby of mine. Playing The Wind Waker again took me back to that time and reminded me of why I play video games at all. This past year, I've really started to feel that video games were the biggest mistake I ever made in my life and that I should just stop. Indeed, I traded almost all of my games in, got rid of my Xbox, my Playstation, my DS, and now I just have my 3DS and Wii U and far fewer games for either one than I had twelve months ago. But then The Wind Waker HD came along. I wasn't actually going to buy it, but then I found a pre-owned copy for £20 when new copies were going for about £45-£50 and couldn't resist. I'm glad I didn't because it reminded me that I play games for a good reason, I should just play less of them, perhaps.

Finally, I got Super Mario 3D World for Christmas and have been glued to it almost non-stop over the last couple of days. It's sheer brilliance. It's magnificent. It's an utter triumph on every conceivable level. It's the best game that came out in 2013 in my opinion, no question. It's the best game on the Wii U, no question. It's the best Mario game of them all, no question. I very rarely say a game is worth 10/10 because that implies perfection and nothing is perfect, but Super Mario 3D World is a 10/10 game. It's that good. And the reason why is because it never once tries to be anything other than what it is. It doesn't try to be the best Mario game, it doesn't try to be the best Wii U game, it doesn't try to catch your attention with flash and sparkle. It simply takes decades of experience and a team of talented, passionate individuals and makes use of them to create a game that is so simple a child can play it while at the same time being so fiendishly tricky, difficult, and, at times, complex, that those (like me) who grew up on the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World can find fresh challenges and new surprises. If The Wind Waker HD reminded me of why I play video games then Super Mario 3D World reminds me of what a video game actually is meant to be. It's a pure experience without equal, not even from the Galaxy games. The multiplayer is so seamlessly weaved into the game and is simply the best local multiplayer experience on an 8th Gen platform, no question. It doesn't feel out-of-place or tacked on, it feels so natural that it's a wonder they never had it before. Super Mario 3D World trumps everything else that was released this year if you ask me, because it is as close to the perfect gaming experience as can be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo 3DS and PS3 gave me the best experiences whether they were Fire Emblem Awakening, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMiX, or even (and especially) Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Also, if anyone mentions Wii U, they're completely delusional. Wii U was probably the weakest platform this year.

I rather think you've missed the point of the thread, most likely because you clearly didn't read it. "Weakest" system has no bearing on the answers people have given, whether "weakest" is based on technical power, number of released games, or the quality of those games. The thread is asking about experiences provided by a platform to individuals, and those do not depend upon powerful processors or a new game every month. Most people have chosen the 3DS for various reasons. I chose the Wii U, not out of 'delusion' (a statement which, I admit, I find insulting, especially when you make it clear you didn't bother to actually read the reasons why), but because the few games released for it in the recent months reminded me of why I play video games in the first place and helped me reconcile with the regret I have felt these past twelve months for spending so many years playing them. Experiences are about emotions, not frame-rates; about feelings, not high-def textures; about connecting with something in a meaningful way, not how 'superior' it is on paper to the competition.

As I said, I do feel personally insulted by your comment as it was wholly unnecessary (you don't like the Wii U. Got it. No need to keep reminding us) and showed that you didn't take the time to read what other people had to say before dropping in with your own thoughts. Why should anyone read what you have to say if you don't give others the same courtesy? If you're going to post in a thread you should at least take a few minutes to read it first. That way, you won't end up being a Richard to other people out of sheer pettiness.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Also, if anyone mentions Wii U, they're completely delusional. Wii U was probably the weakest platform this year.

Nah, weakest platform 2013 definitely PS4 or Xbox One. They were Wii Us with better graphics - they launched with absolutely no noteworthy titles. But I do agree - and everyone does, really - that the Wii U was an incredibly weak platform that offered no incentive to buy let alone any decent experience worth telling (except, y'know, Metroid Blast with four friends <3).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nostilaga and personal enjoyment of one game doesn't justify a platform. You may have enjoyed two games on the system, but that doesn't mean the Wii U is a strong platform.
It isnt about the strength of the platform, it's about the gravitas of the experiences you had with the platform. Did you enjoy motion controls in the two CoDs? Did you have funw ith Pikmin 3? Did you splurge your load across your friends' faces in Metroid Blast (NintendoLand)? These kind of things can make the Wii U memorable for some people.

Let's take a look at high-profile games of this year. Battlefield 4? Not available. AC4? Inferior port. FC3: Blood Dragon? Not available. Tomb Raider? Not available. GTA5? Not avaliable. CoD : Ghosts? Inferior port.
Battlefield 4 is garbage and EA once again got some lawsuits over it. I'd argue that having BF4 on your console is doing you an injustice.
AC4 was decent on Wii U. All things considered it is probably a great game - Ubisoft retracted any kind of support from Nintendo long ago.
FC3BD was released how long ago?
Tomb Raider was released how long ago?
CoD Ghosts is a terrible game and i'd argue that having it is a disservice. Although i DO enjoy shooting people up.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I'm not saying it's impossible to have enjoyed the Wii U. I'm just saying if you thought it gave the best experiences objectively (not personally), then you're delusional.

BF4 has very good multiplayer. Better than CoD significantly. Is there a better multiplat online FPS you'd suggest?
AC4 on Wii U looks more like the last gen console ports. Not comparable with PC and next gen ports.
FC3:BD was released in 2013 and therefore valid.
Tomb Raider was released in 2013 and therefore valid.
I personally dislike CoD, but a lot of people seem to like it. So it means something.
Clearly you do not know how to read because it is not an objective thread it is a subjective thread.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I'm not saying it's impossible to have enjoyed the Wii U. I'm just saying if you thought it gave the best experiences objectively (not personally), then you're delusional.

The thread is called "Which Platform Provided The Best Experiences For You This Year?".

This thread is strictly opinion and not fact, and it's really rude of you just to shoot down and insult someone's opinion.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Nostilaga and personal enjoyment of one game doesn't justify a platform. You may have enjoyed two games on the system, but that doesn't mean the Wii U is a strong platform.

If you had understood what I said in either of my posts, you'd know that I wasn't trying to "justify" anything, nor did I claim the Wii U was a strong platform. My entire point was, as per the thread title, that the Wii U provided me personally with my best experiences of this past year. I don't appreciate being called "delusional" because you didn't understand that when it was stated twice. The number of games I played, the Wii U's third-party support, and the games available on other systems have absolutely nothing to do with a single thing I have said. I do hope that is clear enough this time.

There's that insult again, coupled with, once more, a total misunderstanding of the entire point of my posts. Everything I have said has been, from the off, a personal opinion of my personal experience, just as the thread title asked. The fact that you hate the Wii U doesn't change that, so I would ask you to stop calling me "delusional" just because I prefer different things to you.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Stop suggesting that I'm targeting you, cause I'm not. "Delusional" is not an insult. It just means that the person is wrong about something and doesn't know the truth.
Also, if anyone mentions Wii U, they're completely delusional.

Since I am one of the few people who mentioned the Wii U, I am a target of your use of the word. What you've said is that I (and the others who mentioned the Wii U) am delusional. Because I had better experiences on the Wii U this past year than any other platform, I am "wrong", that I don't "know the truth", and you have repeatedly used a derogatory term to communicate that. Whether it was your intent or not, that word is insulting, which is why I have suggested you not use it. It implies that anyone who actually thought the Wii U was good is just a little bit insane, which is why I find it insulting.

Again, I ask that you just stop using it.

I've been wondering, is the Wii U the only system that you've been getting significant use out of this year? Have you really experienced the alternative platforms to the Wii U and still believe that the Wii U is best?

To answer your questions, no, the system I have gotten the most significant (which, in this case, I assume means most time played) use out of this year has been my 3DS, due to it having a lot of great games released for it over the past twelve months. I have also had the chance to experience the Xbox One, and have played most of those games you listed earlier as the year's high-profile releases, such as Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Far Cry 3, and Grand Theft Auto V. Barring GTA V, which I thoroughly enjoyed, none of the others particularly appealed to me. I wouldn't call any of them 'stand-out' titles from this past year.

I do not believe that the Wii U is the best system out there, there is no "still" about that; I never once said anything to that effect. Where we differ is that, for you, there is a clear best system, one which trumps all others and is the only 'sensible' option. However, for me, any system that can play video games is just as good as any other, the choice of platform comes down entirely to what you, as an individual, want out of your gaming system. To me, there is no best system, only the system that suits you best.

I play games in a fairly casual way; as something to do for an hour or two, or when I'm bored. The Wii U is well suited to what I personally want out of gaming (something with great local multiplayer, the franchises I grew up with, no additional costs or unnecessary features like TV or live-streaming), which is why I bought one. I have no need of, say, a high-end PC, because: 1) graphics, frame-rates, and all of that stuff doesn't have any impact on how much I enjoy a game; 2) I want fewer games to play, so services like Steam or GOG, which offer thousands of games are of no real use to me; 3) the games I want to play are not available for it. It has nothing to do with me thinking the Wii U is better in an objective sense. The Wii U is just better suited to what I want to get out of gaming right now.

This thread is not, "Which System Do You Think Was The Best In 2013?", and none of my comments have been made in that context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom