• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which of these co. holds the best franchises?

Which company holds the franchises or games you like best?

• SEGA

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Capcom

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Konami

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Namco

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Try your best to separate the company's current business practices from the franchises as much as possible, b/c I know that can be really tough to do for a couple of them (especially Konami).
But basically, each of these companies hold many superb classic franchises. Whether that's the case now is not the focus of this question. What I'm asking is in the most general sense, which company has the most franchises that you enjoy? Put yourself back to a time where each of these companies were revered developers or publishers, which do you think made the best games back in their prime? Specifically out of these 5.
Also keep in mind Konami owns the Hudson Soft IPs and SEGA w/ Atlus, so you can factor that into your choice if you wish

Last edited:
Overall, none of these develoeprs have IPs that I like many of the games from. For me you needed to have Atlus there ans I would have voted for them.
From your list, I'd probably say Capcom and Square Enix equally would get my vote. I like a few of their IPs and only some of the games in those IPs, but it's more than the others on the list.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
If I had to chose from this list I would chose Konami. They have some of the greatest IPs of all time with Silent Hill, Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Gradius. I am also a big fan of the Yugioh card game so that gives Konami the edge for me as well. Konami is a pretty **** company now though and if I wasn't requested to ignore that fact from the OP I would probably chose Namco purely based off the Souls series.

Mido

Version 1
This is a good question. While today I would probably lean towards Capcom given my enjoyment of the Devil May Cry games and my more recent delve into the Ace Attorney franchise, I can quite shake the impact that SEGA has had on me in the big picture. Sonic the Hedgehog, especially with the games that fall into the Dreamcast Era of the franchise's history, is perhaps the franchise for which I hold the most nostalgia. I also thought about Power Stone, and even then I just recalled those fighting games were of Capcom's doing. Between Capcom and SEGA, it's a tough choice, but I think I'm going to roll with nostalgia on this one.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Overall, none of these develoeprs have IPs that I like many of the games from. For me you needed to have Atlus there ans I would have voted for them.
From your list, I'd probably say Capcom and Square Enix equally would get my vote. I like a few of their IPs and only some of the games in those IPs, but it's more than the others on the list.
dang, atlus would have been a good addition, though I guess in a way you could link them to sega since they own them

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
If I had to chose from this list I would chose Konami. They have some of the greatest IPs of all time with Silent Hill, Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Gradius. I am also a big fan of the Yugioh card game so that gives Konami the edge for me as well. Konami is a pretty **** company now though and if I wasn't requested to ignore that fact from the OP I would probably chose Namco purely based off the Souls series.
I had to separate the company's current nature from the IP's b/c otherwise no one would choose konami, b/c yes, they did indeed make some of the most renowned game franchises so I want at least that to be recognized

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ew~ So difficult to say anything nice about such slimy companies. While none of these companies have many games I'm really interested in, there's no denying their greatness (except metal gear which is grossly overrated, yeah I said it).

But the real problem is that these companies don't utilize even half of their IPs anymore. The IPs they do bankroll they're either dead set on ruining or already laid waste to.

But since I'm a long time Dragon Quest fan and Squeenix hasn't completely bollixed that one up yet, as much as it pains me to say I'll go with Squeenix.

Otherwise it would be Crapcom if they weren't ignoring 95% of their franchises.

Sega's a wasteland. Konami is trying the hardest to make their franchises unmarketable. Namco is Souls so in terms of popular appeal arguably they'd win by default. There was a time when Squeenix's Final Fantasy would have brought them such distinction, but that time is looong past.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Capcom made several wonderful Zelda games so they automatically get my vote. Square Enix had many great games back in the day so they're a close second. But man, Capcom also made the Breath of Fire series, which use to be fantastic. Seriously, go play Breath of Fire on the Super Nintendo. The port on GBA is good and I think it was on both Wii Virtual Console and 3DS eshop if you can't afford the original SNES version. The music is spot on, the characters are alright, the combat is...well, average for the era which is spectacular now, the tone is wonderful, the story is enough to get by, the enemies are memorable, and the overworld feels mostly crafted. Not the perfect JRPG but totally worth a play through.

So Nintendo is not on there?

Then definitely Sega.

Square Enix is so much less than both Square and Enix... even though they haven't bobbled things entirely I'll admit.

Capcom most overrated (almost all of their great things came in the 80s and 90s), Konami most underrated, and Namco maybe properly rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom