• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which do you think is the Zelda title for introducing someone to the series?

Having recently introduced someone to the series with Mimish Cap, I had actually spent a fair amount of time considering which of the games would make for the best 'introduction' to the series.

MC isn't my absolute favourite, nor the one I consider the outright best (though I do hold it in very high regard), but I believe it was the correct choice for an 'introductory' Zelda title.

What would you consider to be the best title to get someone to play first, if you believe there is a 'best' pick at all? Perhaps you consider there to be two best titles - one for 2D Zelda games and one for 3D Zelda games. Perhaps you are swayed by the timeline or the chronological order of release. Either way, I'm curious as to your thoughts on my decision to lead with MC, as well as other people's thoughts on this :).

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
OOT, ALTTP, WW are all good starting off games just for the fact they are the start of other interconnected games (Interconnected for zelda games) that and these were the ones that are for me the most memorable and enjoyable.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd Reccomend Ocarina of Time first. It's what I started on and I'd consider it to be what all future Zelda's are measured against seeing as it spawned 3D Zelda and nearly all modern games use elements that it introduced to into gaming. It's something I think that everyone should play.

It also sets up the events in both WW and MM and TP to some extent. Though you don't need to have played Ocarina to enjoy those games I think an understanding of Ganondorf's origins is best. Although it still holds up well it is a bit clunkier than the others and it might be worth considering this might be more noticeable to someone to go from the smoothness of Wind Waker to an older game rather than the other way around.

OOT, ALTTP, WW are all good starting off games just for the fact they are the start of other interconnected games (Interconnected for zelda games) that and these were the ones that are for me the most memorable and enjoyable.

Would you have a preference of these though? If you had a friend or acquaintance who was wanting to be introduced, which one of those would you go for? Or would you maybe show them a snippet of each of those 3 and see what they decide on? This of course assumes they have access to any and all of the games, rather than a console restriction informing their decision.

I'd Reccomend Ocarina of Time first. It's what I started on and I'd consider it to be what all future Zelda's are measured against seeing as it spawned 3D Zelda and nearly all modern games use elements that it introduced to into gaming. It's something I think that everyone should play.

It also sets up the events in both WW and MM and TP to some extent. Though you don't need to have played Ocarina to enjoy those games I think an understanding of Ganondorf's origins is best. Although it still holds up well it is a bit clunkier than the others and it might be worth considering this might be more noticeable to someone to go from the smoothness of Wind Waker to an older game rather than the other way around.

OoT is definitely a measuring stick, and I'm all for it being provided as part of the National Health Service/Education as something mandatory for all. It's also reasonably simple and user friendly in the way it goes through things and was very much a consideration of mine for an introduction. My decision was in part influenced by console restrictions admittedly.
The only thing that would want to make me hold off with OoT is, as you've said, it can come off slightly clunkier compared so more modern Zeldas/games. I think OoT has aged pretty damn well for all intents and purposes, but that doesn't stop the fact it was released 1998 and is therefore going to have been weathered by father time :).

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Ocarina of Time or maybe A Link to the Past. there are probably the best high points in the series to introduce someone to

I find it interesting that OoT is suggestedsug an introduction to the series, yet of the people I have suggested this as their first one and who have given it a go, they've not stuck with it or found it particularly engaging.

Obviously they're mad and wrong, but it's interesting nonetheless! I'd have certainly used OoT as a go to for a first timer myself when recommending one, but my experience with it hasn't been as successful as I'd thought!

Depends on the kind of tone they like.

If they want something dark then they should play TP followed by OoT and MM

If they want something lighthearted then they should play WW followed by ALBW or MC.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I find it interesting that OoT is suggestedsug an introduction to the series, yet of the people I have suggested this as their first one and who have given it a go, they've not stuck with it or found it particularly engaging.

Obviously they're mad and wrong, but it's interesting nonetheless! I'd have certainly used OoT as a go to for a first timer myself when recommending one, but my experience with it hasn't been as successful as I'd thought!
no, ocarina of time may have just not appealed to them specifically, even when I first played ocarina I was a bit off put by how the game played since I had played more refined games prior [not saying ocarina isn't refined, but its aged], in that case, maybe something like twilight princess is more appropriate if ocarina didn't do it
I personally would definitely recommend the gamecube games before ocarina, but I still listed ocarina b/c it is the basis for how the 3d zeldas play, but it still may not appeal to everyone nowadays

Nearly any Zelda is good for it, because every Zelda was one fan's first. But I prefer to reccomend most of the "system starters."

TLoZ
ALttP
LA/DX
MC
TP
OoT/3D

I started with The Legend of Zelda on the NES, started my daughter off with A Link to the Past on the GBA.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Probably Breath of the Wild because that game seems to have attracted a lot of newcomers to the series and there must be a reason.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
OoT. It's very basic vanilla Zelda with no add-ons and gives you the most realistic expectation for the rest of the series. TP's another good choice if the person in question has a problem with older games.

That said, I wouldn't say there's a "perfect" game to introduce. MM is where the series found its footing and the modern formula was finalized, however, most games after OoT are filled with gimmicks. On the other hand, games pre-MM usually don't have gimmicks, but aren't using the fully modern formula. OoT, IMO, reaches the closest balance.

Last edited:
OoT. It's very basic vanilla Zelda with no add-ons and gives you the most realistic expectation for the rest of the series. TP's another good choice if the person in question has a problem with older games.

That said, I wouldn't say there's a "perfect" game to introduce. MM is where the series found its footing and the modern formula was finalized, however, most games after OoT are filled with gimmicks. On the other hand, games pre-MM usually don't have gimmicks, but aren't using the fully modern formula. OoT, IMO, reaches the closest balance.

You switch between present and future. That is a gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom