• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Anime Are You Currently Watching?

I gave Fate/Zero a try after seeing how much it was talked about in this thread. Decided to drop it after five episodes, though I'm unsure why exactly I dislike it. I find it hard to point out any flaws in this show - animation is gorgeous, characters seem well thought out and varied, the voice acting is superb. And yet it just doesn't hold my interest. There didn't seem to be any tension at all in the first big fight between the servants, with combatants who are supposed to fight to the death politely waiting for their opponent to finish talking and fighters who are supposed to be enemies helping each other out for reasons of honour. I can't say I like the setting much either. There are plenty of rules that almost seem to be based on a videogame, giving the whole show a kind of forced feeling similar to what I remember the Pokemon anime was like (it's been ages since I've last watched that one though). Some characters had interesting motivations - the guy who saved the little girl from the worm pit and the crazed serial killer come to mind - but in the end I find myself just not caring enough about any of them to continue watching. I'll give this one a pass, though I'm aware that it might just be me. There's plenty of things the show does well, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who will enjoy it for what it is.

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
Huh that's rely funny because I just started fate/zero and I'm loving it! I'm on episode ten and the start is a little slow, but that's all

Yeah, as I said, it might just be me. It's not a bad show, and all the things I mentioned above are really just personal nitpicks - things that irk me, but might not apply to others.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm just about finishing up FMA: Brotherhood.

I watched that for the fourth time in three years not long ago. It's one of the few shows that I never get tired of and can watch again and again.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I gave Fate/Zero a try after seeing how much it was talked about in this thread. Decided to drop it after five episodes, though I'm unsure why exactly I dislike it. I find it hard to point out any flaws in this show - animation is gorgeous, characters seem well thought out and varied, the voice acting is superb. And yet it just doesn't hold my interest. There didn't seem to be any tension at all in the first big fight between the servants, with combatants who are supposed to fight to the death politely waiting for their opponent to finish talking and fighters who are supposed to be enemies helping each other out for reasons of honour. I can't say I like the setting much either. There are plenty of rules that almost seem to be based on a videogame, giving the whole show a kind of forced feeling similar to what I remember the Pokemon anime was like (it's been ages since I've last watched that one though). Some characters had interesting motivations - the guy who saved the little girl from the worm pit and the crazed serial killer come to mind - but in the end I find myself just not caring enough about any of them to continue watching. I'll give this one a pass, though I'm aware that it might just be me. There's plenty of things the show does well, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who will enjoy it for what it is.
Keep at it.

Those are all valid critiques, but trust me, things get far more interesting. That was just the first battle, and those stats exist to assess how powerful a Servant is in certain fields. Rider helped Saber because two others were ganging up on her. I'm curious as to what you didn't like about the setting--the Servants are actual figures from history, be it fictional or factual. Watching them fit in with modern living was an interesting aspect. That's all I can say without getting too far ahead, but keep watching, man.

Keep at it.

Those are all valid critiques, but trust me, things get far more interesting. That was just the first battle, and those stats exist to assess how powerful a Servant is in certain fields. Rider helped Saber because two others were ganging up on her. I'm curious as to what you didn't like about the setting--the Servants are actual figures from history, be it fictional or factual. Watching them fit in with modern living was an interesting aspect. That's all I can say without getting too far ahead, but keep watching, man.

Thinking about it, that was poor wording on my part. It's not so much the setting that irks me, but rather the whole premise. I'm just not feeling the whole magicians can summon historical figures who will fight for them so they can have the holy grail thing. Seems really cheesy to me, and yet it's played rather serious. I might give it another chance sometime seeing as it's getting positive reviews virtually everywhere, including from Glass Reflection, whose opinions I greatly value.

For now I'm watching School Rumble though, which is surprisingly hilarious. I wasn't expecting much, but three episodes in, I'm already loving the characters and the spot on humour, especially the countless visual gags. Good English dub too. I don't often watch Slice of Life, as I tend to watch more serious things mostly, but I appreciate the odd case of juvenile escapism. The ending theme is also ridiculously catchy, which is always a plus in my book.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Thinking about it, that was poor wording on my part. It's not so much the setting that irks me, but rather the whole premise. I'm just not feeling the whole magicians can summon historical figures who will fight for them so they can have the holy grail thing. Seems really cheesy to me, and yet it's played rather serious. I might give it another chance sometime seeing as it's getting positive reviews virtually everywhere, including from Glass Reflection, whose opinions I greatly value.
The Holy Grail War is meant to be serious, because it has so many participants who have such diverse ambitions in mind. Every single character (almost) is determined to win the Grail in order to realize their dream. Perhaps the most intriguing aspect about the premise, though, is how the Servants interact with their Masters, and even each other. Think about it like this: they're pulled from the pages of history to do the bidding of random strangers, yet some of them form an unbreakable bond while some can't get along with their lord and others use their pact to harm innocents. Maybe you aren't one to go for "doom and gloom", but I guarantee that the essential reason Fate/Zero gets rampant positive reviews is because it plays off the mature themes so well. And because of that, the characters are fleshed out more than most other casts.

Glass Reflection is an awesome reviewer; glad I'm not his only viewer here.

That does sound rather intriguing. Thanks for the headsup, I'll give it another shot soon then.

\v/(^3^)\v/ $Ching Ching Chicka Ching Ching$
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Epic. I love all the characters. <3

Monster is absolutely amazing. Note that the pacing is reeeaaally sloooow, but in my eyes that's a plus for this show. It allows the story to breathe, characters to be fleshed out. Very satisfying ending too, and overall one of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen, anime or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom