• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where does Classic Zelda end and Modern Zelda start?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Which game(s) in the series do you guys think mark the end of classic Zelda or mark the beginning of modern Zelda? Does it have to do with age or the playstyle of it? Or is it as simple as "every game up to this one is classic Zelda, and every game onward is modern Zelda"? [subject to change w/ time of course]

Kirino

Tatakae
I don't think there's any clear division between the two, and it's mostly subjective. That said, I'd probably consider modern Zelda as beginning with OoT since it's the first 3D Zelda and many of the later games are heavily based around it, or inspired by it. For me, personally, I might also associate Wind Waker with the start of "modern Zelda," but that's only a reflection of how I grew up and what consoles I started with.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
OoT is the first “modern” Zelda in my opinion. For the 2D games, “Classic” Zelda ends with either OoX or MC. All the other 2D games after were modern. If it’s a 3D game or after OoX, it’s modern. BOTW is post-modern.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd consider Ocarina of Time to be the beginning of "modern" Zelda. It was the Zelda game that set in stone many of the formulas that the series struggled to move away from until Breath of the Wild. Elemental temples, stunning bosses with the dungeon item and hitting them three times, and Ganondorf pretending to be a villain but then disappearing until the last 5% of the game all began with Ocarina of Time.

Quin

Disaster Master
"modern" zelda started with ALTTP. THAT was the game that set the formula in stone, and premiered a ton of classic series tropes, music/sound effects and tradition. It depends on in what way you look at it I guess, but this is definitely the way it is gameplay wise.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I would say Classic Zelda ended with Breath of the Wild. I define "Classic Zelda" as games that adopted the Zelda formula. The original game set the cornerstone, A Link to the Past built the structure, Ocarina of Time put the roof in place, and everything else just slowly added small contributions to spoof the place up. Breath of the Wild came in and saved parts of the house, but demolished the rest. It's the first game that went against the grain rather than simply building upon the formula that was already in place, so I feel like it's the marker of the decline of Classic Zelda, at least for the time being.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
this is just a personal thing, but I have a hard time thinking of anything after the n64 as “old school” so windwaker is where those two meet for me.

Realistically, LBW is where the series started straying away from things that made it unique in the first place, if anything SS was the last “Old School” Zelda.

I'd consider Ocarina of Time to be the beginning of "modern" Zelda. It was the Zelda game that set in stone many of the formulas that the series struggled to move away from until Breath of the Wild. Elemental temples, stunning bosses with the dungeon item and hitting them three times, and Ganondorf pretending to be a villain but then disappearing until the last 5% of the game all began with Ocarina of Time.

Literally all three of those things started LttP and prior

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
this is just a personal thing, but I have a hard time thinking of anything after the n64 as “old school” so windwaker is where those two meet for me.

Realistically, LBW is where the series started straying away from things that made it unique in the first place, if anything SS was the last “Old School” Zelda.

Literally all three of those things started LttP and prior

Not so universally. While the regular dungeon items were certainly a thing, they weren't always necessary for beating the boss. Often you could just tackle the boss with items from a previous dungeon, or go after the boss with just your sword. Bosses felt far less... routine in previous mainline Zelda games.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Not so universally. While the regular dungeon items were certainly a thing, they weren't always necessary for beating the boss. Often you could just tackle the boss with items from a previous dungeon, or go after the boss with just your sword. Bosses felt far less... routine in previous mainline Zelda games.
it wasnt universal in OoT either

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Don't you? It's been a bit since I played, but I can't recall a boss whose defeat doesn't entail stunning it with a dungeon item.
I think Bongo Bongo is the only exception in OoT because you use the Bow which you got from the Forest Temple, and your sword. The Hover Boots aren't necessary for the combat but crucial to maintain health, and the Lens of Truth just make the battle easier. It still requires using a dungeon item in combat, just not the item found in that dungeon. Otherwise, you are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom