• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Where Did Navi Go and Why?

M

MajorFoley

They should continue the story of the Hero of Time on Wii U. Show how he went from Majora's Mask to Hero's Shade. He was searching for Navi after all in Majora's Mask so his journey wasn't over when he stopped the moon. I know this is extremely unlikely but I love the few true sequel Zelda games and think the Hero of Time would be the most likely to get another.

O.K i agree with you there ocarinistOfTime, Nintendo have never provided an official explanation for Navi's disappearance (unless you count her leaving because his job was done and he never was a true kokiri which could be right regardless), not even in the timeline (the downfall timeline i still dont get myself is it like a hypothetical timeline or something?).
Anyways, maybe Nintendo haven't explained it yet because they might make another game between Majora's mask and Twilight Princess. We know that the Hero of Time becomes the Hero's Shade, so maybe this future game (could be the WII U's one) could not only explain what happened to Navi but how Link was able to become the Hero's Shade which would be a very interesting game indeed.

Okay, I think this question is something personal for all of us, especially since OOT is a very memorable game. At the beginning of the game, Navi comes to you after you go your entire childhood as an outcast since you have no fairy. She has come to tell you the Deku Tree wants to see you, acting as a messenger and errand runner for the Deku Tree. As the Kokiri are children of the forest, presumably immortal, and cared for by the Deku Tree, who is considered a guardian and authority figure, they get fairies. Since Navi comes from the Deku Tree, it could be concluded that either the Deku Tree makes the fairies, or he raises them until a young Kokiri reaches the age to receive one. The only reason Navi comes with you is because the Deku Tree tells her to. The fact that she berates you constantly to get back on task may actually be her impatience to return to the forest, not a genuine desire to save the world with you. She is devastated when the Deku Tree dies, and could potentially hold the same negative feelings toward Link concerning the tree's death as Mido. Regardless of how Navi feels toward you at this point, when the Deku Tree is reborn after you clear the Forest Temple, Navi has an even stronger reason to return to the forest. It could very well be that after Link saves Hyrule Navi simply returns to the Deku Tree, her task having been completed. She may see it as nothing more than an extended errand and always intended to return to the forest once the adventure was finished.

M

MajorFoley

Okay, I think this question is something personal for all of us, especially since OOT is a very memorable game. At the beginning of the game, Navi comes to you after you go your entire childhood as an outcast since you have no fairy. She has come to tell you the Deku Tree wants to see you, acting as a messenger and errand runner for the Deku Tree. As the Kokiri are children of the forest, presumably immortal, and cared for by the Deku Tree, who is considered a guardian and authority figure, they get fairies. Since Navi comes from the Deku Tree, it could be concluded that either the Deku Tree makes the fairies, or he raises them until a young Kokiri reaches the age to receive one. The only reason Navi comes with you is because the Deku Tree tells her to. The fact that she berates you constantly to get back on task may actually be her impatience to return to the forest, not a genuine desire to save the world with you. She is devastated when the Deku Tree dies, and could potentially hold the same negative feelings toward Link concerning the tree's death as Mido. Regardless of how Navi feels toward you at this point, when the Deku Tree is reborn after you clear the Forest Temple, Navi has an even stronger reason to return to the forest. It could very well be that after Link saves Hyrule Navi simply returns to the Deku Tree, her task having been completed. She may see it as nothing more than an extended errand and always intended to return to the forest once the adventure was finished.
While i respect your opinion i dont think thats the case I think i agree with anothers point of view, she was a fairy that was given extra time outside than normal ones because Kokiri would probably die if they left the forest, but once the job was done she needed to return or possibly die. But i think she still was Links friend

While i respect your opinion i dont think thats the case I think i agree with anothers point of view, she was a fairy that was given extra time outside than normal ones because Kokiri would probably die if they left the forest, but once the job was done she needed to return or possibly die. But i think she still was Links friend

As much as I would like to believe that Navi is truly Link's friend, there really is nothing in OOT to show that. From the beginning she is incredulous of you, impatient and very much the bully. She calls you lazy, tells you there's no way someone like you could possibly be the hero of Hyrule and then badgers you nonstop. Once you get to the Deku Tree, he asks her to go with you inside him to help, as she is more familiar with him than you are. In an effort to aid her father/guardian/mentor/creator or whatever he is to her, she shows you what the enemies are and tries to guide you through the tree's messed up insides. Even after all that, the Deku Tree dies. His last request is that you save the land and that Navi go with you. It's not like she has time to argue. Presumably she has never been outside the forest either, but she shows no fear in doing so, leading me to believe that the fairies staying in the forest is a matter of preference, not of safety.

Once you leave the forest, every word out of her is a reminder of where you should be, what you should be doing, and to get back to work. She tells you the same thing over and over, even when it is clear you are on your way. Would a friend berate you and keep you from strengthening yourself? Navi's ideal adventure is the speed run. No helping people, no helping yourself, just work. What about this is showing friendship and care for Link specifically?

Only Kokiri get fairies. Link is a Hylian, and so does not get a fairy for a companion for his whole life. Navi knows she is eventually going to become the companion to a Kokiri, and the only way to do that is to return to the forest. Perhaps if the Deku Sprout never materialized she would have come with you out of sadness, concluding that there was nothing left in the forest for her. Just as Link is destined to be a hero, Navi has been purposed for a Kokiri since the beginning. I think that she misses the forest dearly and is pained to see it messed up when Link is an adult. She would be thankful to Link for saving the forest, but why would she go with him to unknown places? I feel like answering this question would be the only solid argument for Navi truly being Link's friend (without circular reasoning).

For example, "Navi went on an adventure with Link, so she should go with him" is not appropriate, since that is based purely on the sentimentality of the player, not the events of the game.

Navi was Link's very first consistent companion. Even Saria is too busy to pay him very much attention. It makes sense that Link would become attached to her, just like we do. And it makes sense that her leaving him contributes to his dejection in MM. But Link's feelings toward Navi also do not provide a solid argument as to why she should go with him. Her loyalty is to the forest and the Deku Tree, above all else. Whatever feelings she may or may not have had for Link, they were completely eclipsed by her feelings about the forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom