• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When was the power to repel evil implemented?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
In Skyward Sword we learn the Master Sword is forged by Link via Sacard Flames which purify it. After purifying the sword in the last of the three flames (Din's flame) the game claims the sword is the Master Sword and that it has “A sacred white light that demons revile”
images

I assume this is the power to repel evil. The issue is the sword more closely resembles the dulled Master Sword from Wind Waker in which the sword has lost the power to repel evil. The Sword doesn't actually look the way it should until Zelda blesses it thus making it the True Master Sword. Afterward it always has a white glow unlike the previous form so it makes more sense that the power wasn't endowed until Zelda blessed it, just like in WW Link had to get it blessed by sages to return the power to the sword.

So why does the game claim the power to repel evil was endowed after the sword was purified in Din's Flame? Was it a mistake? Please share your thoughts.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I think the flames gave it the power, Zelda just purified it. Kinda like in The Wind Waker, the power to repel evil is present within the swords, but it has to be purified by the sages before it's usable again. I think SS is a similar thing, which would explain its appearance.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think the flames gave it the power, Zelda just purified it. Kinda like in The Wind Waker, the power to repel evil is present within the swords, but it has to be purified by the sages before it's usable again. I think SS is a similar thing, which would explain its appearance.
The power wasn't present while it was dull, that was the whole reason Link had to get it blessed in WW.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
The sword in Skyward Sword, IIRC, is the original Master Sword. Wind Waker takes place much further down the timeline than Skyward Sword does. The sword, in Skyward, may have originally been blessed by Din with the power to repel evil, but over years, generations, centuries, the blessing wore down or was countered, so extra measures were needed to restore it to its original condition. That's my theory anyway.

In other words, the power to repel evil was initially granted by Din's Fire, but later had to be restored with powerful magic.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The power wasn't present while it was dull, that was the whole reason Link had to get it blessed in WW.

Well I like to think of it as sort of a car battery. When the battery is dead, all it needs is a little jump and it's good to go. The car has the battery, but it won't work while the battery is dead. Same sort of thing with the Master Sword. In this case, the power is the battery and the sages act as the cars that you use to jump the battery. The sword always has the power, it just doesn't always work. That's the way I think of it anyway.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Well if we look at what it says, "a sacred white light that demons revile." by translation means that it has some sorta light, I assume shine, that when demons see the light disturb them and know that there doom is there. So at that point for the sword it has the shine to tell demons what is to come however when Zelda blesses the sword it gets even brighter to let them know from a further distance and be even more intimidating.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I've always assumed the Fi is it, or rather as FI over time degrades due to taking in Demise's essence, she mingles with it and imbues the blade with that ability but because it is a creation of Hylia that sword needs to be blessed in a similar manner to how Hylia originally did it.

Even though they look similar, who's to say it's the same effect? It could feasibly have the power in Skyward Sword, but not in Wind Waker, even though they look similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom