• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When do you see physical games being completely phased out?

MW7

I hope never. I always buy the physical version even if it costs way more. For example I think Hollow Knight is routinely on sale for $7.50 from its usual $15, and I gladly paid $35 plus shipping for the physical version. This also ties into collectibles like the Hollow Knight physical version comes with a neat map. If we only have virtual options, collectibles like that will likely be much less common.

DivineDragoness

Bombergirl Xtreme
No idea on the actual year, but it's probably safe to say a steep downward trajectory will start when the newest Xbox/Playstation no longer has a disk drive. I get the feeling that's closer than we think too, with the disc-less PS5 and Series S already being a thing.

There will probably be some stragglers for cross-generation games that still show up on the PS5/Series X, but that probably won't last past a couple of years.

No idea what Nintendo does in that vein though, I stopped trying to guess a long time ago. But the digital incentives they already offer (TotK was conveniently cheaper with the digital vouchers, huh, wonder why.....) indicate they dislike physical games as much as the other guys and gals on the block.

They day I can't hold games anymore is probably the day I finally stop playing them :)

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
what I expect will happen is physical editions of games becoming purely collectible in nature, and having a higher price tag than the digital distribution
it already makes more sense for digital games to be the primary product. You can launch digital as soon as the game is developed and don't have to worry about disc and case production or burning data on to millions of discs. Companies could then charge more for physical copies and/or less for digital copies, which is how it should logically work
but physical games being phased out entirely is never gonna happen, for the same reason that books never got phased out. It's just nice to have them, as cool as ebooks and audiobooks are

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom