• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's your approach to getting stuck?

Do you say-

• "Screw this, the game obviously hates me" and never play again

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • "Arrrgh!" turn off the game and reattempt it in a few days (once you've calmed down)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • "Well guess I can't figure this out" refers to guidebooks or videos

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • "How dare this game defy me! I can do this!" repeats the section over and over until success

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • "Help!" asks another person to try doing it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends/Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I've noticed that a lot of people have different responses to tough challenges presented in video games. If my dad gets stuck, he'll turn the game off, consult some videos, and try again. I'm more the type to stubbornly do the section over and over again because I refuse to accept defeat. Do you guys have a preferred strategy, or does it really just depend on what it is you're stuck on?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
My approach to getting stuck? Idk, I usually just play the game and it happens

Srsly tho, it depends. Right now I'm playing Super Metroid, which I'd given up on because I got stuck, but I also got stuck in SM64 so I'm back to Super Metroid. I use walkthroughs too much for my liking, but my patience runs real thin real quick when I try to grit my teeth and get it done.

Either I try the same thing over and over again until it works, like a maniac, or I try the same thing over and over again but slightly different until something works. Sometimes breaks are involved, especially if I get discouraged, but I enjoy the gratification of managing to overcome the thing that I got stuck on. Unless of course I'm too incompetent for it and then I just... try the same thing over and over again, while whining the entire time. :)

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Just try and brute force my way through. If it's something I'm not understanding, I may look up a walkthrough, but for most other situations like puzzles or skill-based sections I just try over and over again, take a few breaks, and repeat.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
In most instances, I opt to throw myself at something over and over until I beat it. Depending on how difficult it is, of course, I might have to step away and come back.

I'll usually try to figure out a section of a game I'm stuck at on my own. Sometimes that means shutting a game off and coming in with a new perspective next time. There are some franchises where I feel I have less patience, though. Metroid comes to mind. I am not bombing every corner of the map.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
it'll usually take me a bit of time before I resort to looking it up, I want it to be a lsst resort b/c it's annoying to pull something up, type it out, search for it, read or watch or whatever so I could know how do I do the thing you want me to do

I'd feel better if turned out to be something obvious or something that I missed, b/c while I feel dumb I can admit it was my own failing, but if its a "how are we supposed to figure this out normally" kind of thing, then I get upset

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
As I've gotten older, I have less time and I don't wish to waste what time I do have on trying to figure out something that only frustrates me, so I tend to look things up. But this is only if I get really stuck and don't know what to do at all

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I'll look around and try stuff for a while. But if I feel like it's taking too long/something too hard I'll look it up. Games are supposed to be fun and if I'm getting frustrated trying to progress then that defeats the purpose to me.

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
Go back to previous levels then come back to it.

or i leave the game for a couple days and then i beat on my first try

MW7

It depends on the situation. If I am stuck due to combat being difficult or I am lost from a navigational standpoint, I will look up tips or a map. If it's a puzzle, I will spend as much time as it takes to figure it out. I also will take a break to return to the puzzle later which can help.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It depends on how long I'm stuck and if the game remains fun while I am. If I'm stuck to due what I perceive as a flaw in the game, I'll grumble, look it up, and bypass the problem. If I'm stuck on something that is mechanically satisfying then I'll usually push through.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Depends on the type of game. With platforming type games where I get stuck because I keep dying I generally try to brute force my way through the level by practicing until I make it. In rare cases I'll look on the internet for tips. For puzzles and situations where I can't figure out what I need to do next I generally try and explore for a while to see what I can find on my own before crawling on over to google for help if I absolutely can't get it on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom