• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's the Difference Between Ganon and Ganondorf?

• Thread starter Toonwolflink418
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toonwolflink418

im tired of not knowing, can the world please tell me the answer?

If I am wrong, then call me a N00b, but I am pretty sure that they are the same person. One's just shorter. Like with me, Abigail or Abbey.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
(Going by Ocarina of Time)Ganondorf is the Gerudo King of Theives and the Great King of Evil. Ganon is the monster Ganondorf becomes when he tries to use the Triforce of Power to gain the upper hand against Link. His evil influence corrupted the Triforce of Power and it turned him into the Evil Incarnation of Darkness, Ganon. Of course, all that was just off the top of my head. But it seems like a reasonable way to diferentiate the two.

G

Gyorg

Well pretty much Ganon to me in OoT is like a Giant pig that can use swords but i think in Twilight Princess he is just a killer boar that i think teleported to from place to place above our Hero,Link.Ganondorf is ruler of Gerudos until he was defeated I think and in twilight princess I don't know about the Gerudo thing.

My Dear Epona

Its all about balance
I think Ganondorf is the gerudo man who plays the antagonist in some games (WW,OoT,TP) while Ganon is the demon who sometimes using ganondorf, other times by itself (Original LoZ for example) and sometimes appearing with no apparent reason (am looking at you FSA) tries to govern the world. I like to think of them as separate deities as explained on ocarinaoftimehero split timeline theory.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think Ganondorf is the gerudo man who plays the antagonist in some games (WW,OoT,TP) while Ganon is the demon who sometimes using ganondorf, other times by itself (Original LoZ for example) and sometimes appearing with no apparent reason (am looking at you FSA) tries to govern the world. I like to think of them as separate deities as explained on ocarinaoftimehero split timeline theory.

I've never understood why people believe this theory. It's made clear that Ganondorf transforms into Ganon every time they're both in the game. In ALttP, it was the Dark World. In OoT and TP, it was the Triforce of Power. And in FSA, it was the Trident. Plus, if Ganon was a demon that was really the power behind Ganondorf and he was a pawn, why would (the sword fight with) Ganondorf be the final boss in OoT? That makes no sense. If he was just some schmuck, he wouldn't have been the final portion of the final battle.

JerônimoLink

New Hyrule's Engineer

I think that they are the same being, but, for example, if link destroys ganon, Ganondorf can still fight.

Din Akera

Sniper
From my standpoint: Ganondorf and Ganon are one in the same being, but they come about for different reason and exist in a different body form. For example, in OoT Ganondorf is the king od evil and the king of the Gerudo's. He's the bad guy and the one that wants to take over the world. He appears 'human' (he is Gerudo, but you know what I mean, he has a humanoid face, arms, etc.). He has dark/evil magic and ultimately wants to rule Hyrule and obtain the triforce.

Ganon is the beast form of Ganondorf. In OoT When Link defeats Ganondorf the triforce of power runs wild and his body transforms into the pig monster that we see in several of the games (OoA, WW, OoT, TP) Though in those games Ganon comes about for different reasons than the one in OoT. (For example, In OoA the beast for is resurrected by twinrova Ganondorf does not appear). So in this sense, Gaon is simply the beast/pig form of Ganondorf. THey are still the same person, one is just humanoid and one is a monster.
I think that they are the same being, but, for example, if link destroys ganon, Ganondorf can still fight.
In reference to what I have said above, I would say this statement is backwards. But, that may not be true for all games.

I think a large point of confusion arrises when fans refer to him. The name Ganon is used sometimes to refer to Ganondorf as a short. So as Mandy is short for Amanda. Some fans use the name Ganon to keep it simpler. But technically speaking, Ganon and Ganondorf are not interchangeable names.

In short: same guy, different bodies, do not exist at the same point in time, can morph between after being killed. (For the most part)

Well there is a LOT of speculation on this topic. From my point of view, however they are seperate beings at some moments and the same at others.

First off let's cover what we generally consider the origin of Ganondorf (and Ganon for that matter): Ocarina of Time. At the begining and for most of the game we see Ganondorf. He is the bad guy for a major part of game. However at the VERY end we see a giant pig monster. After defeating it the game ends. People usually consider the scene where Ganondorf changes into Ganon the very origin of the monster we see in the previous titles, and a agree with that. But something to consider is that when it shows Ganondorf being sealed away he is in Gerudo form. So if Ganon and Ganondorf are seperate entities how is that possible?

So this would mean Ganon and Ganondorf are the same. Okay that works. But in The Wind Waker why doesn't Ganon change into Ganon during the fight like he did in OoT? Keep in mind Link already broke the seal on him so if that seal somehow disconected Ganon from Ganondorf he would have the ability to transform into Ganon. This would mean they are sepperate entities or sometime were sepperated. This is where A Link to the Past comes in. OoT was in my view made as a prequel to ALttP. Recall that after Agahnim is defeated Ganon rises out of his body like a ghost and flies away in a bat body. Some theorists believe that Agahnim is Ganon, and this would work perfectly with what I mentioned right before speaking of ALttP. So at the end of WW GanonDORF is dead but Ganon is still alive, or still dead, depending on your placement of other games after WW.
Switching over to the child side of the timeline (or moving on dependng again on your placement of the games or if you don't even believe in the split timeline), Ganondorf did not create Ganon so he is Ganondorf. He gets captured by the sages and is exectuted. It is don't work and he is banished into the Twilight Realm. The events of Twilight Princess then go by (I don't consider Dark Beast Ganon Ganon if that makes any sense) and Ganondorf is killed (or presumed to be).

So I consider that Ganon and Ganondorf the same at first but sepperated later on. I hope this made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom