• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's the Big Deal with NintendoCapriSun?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So basically I was watching some crappy LPs and and making my own LP's. My LPs are pretty bad, particularly seeing how I use text to comment (my voice is awful) but I was wondering how I could improve aside from that. So I figured I'd watch a "Good LPer" and take notes on how they work, what they comment on, etc. Fact is though...unless you count Retsupurae, I had never seen LP's that brought me entertainment. So I asked around for a Good LPer. I wanted someone who did Nintendo games so I could better relate to the LPs and what was being done.

Everyone I asked suggested NintendoCapriSun, so I watched a few of his OoT videos and....eh...I just don't see the big deal. Does he get better or something? I'll admit his work is miles ahead of mine, but I just don't get what's so amazing. I saw several problems with the videos I watched:

1) He started getting off topic from the game. He starts...randomly talking about his personal life for some reason and I just can't fathom why.

2) He doesn't know what he's doing. I mean holy hell, I've had to do my LPs with emulators and I struggled less when playing.

3) A good portion of the commentary is spelling out what's happening--like we didn't just see it happen.

4) He gives us a small in-game tutorial. I understand why an LPer would do this if he's explaining why he's doing what he's doing or he's giving a brief heads up on what's gonna happen next for the sake of commentary...but I don't know why we need to hear about controls and how to use the menu when the people who are watching this A) Know how to play or :cool: Don't own the game and don't need to learn.

5) He starts reading the dialogue...this feels like it's done to solely add filler commentary because we could just as easily read it ourselves.

In his defense, this was done in 2009, so maybe he improved, and he's certainly not bad...but I just don't see what's amazing either.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
That's because he's an LPer. LP's are generally not as detailed, or information filled as full blown Video Walkthroughs. That's why I prefer ZD.

In terms of LP's, I like Chuggaaconroy or ProtonJon. You should check them out. ProtonJon is a fellow Canadian! (I think)

DarkestLink

That's because he's an LPer. LP's are generally not as detailed, or information filled as full blown Video Walkthroughs. That's why I prefer ZD.

In terms of LP's, I like Chuggaaconroy or ProtonJon. You should check them out. ProtonJon is a fellow Canadian! (I think)

Well I guess that justifies #2, but the rest are still issues. And thanks, I'll check em out. =3

Its a flippen LP. Even if you didn't say your LPs suck I would know they probably do, because Letsplaying isn't supposed to be a walkthough. It CAN be, but you don't have to always talk about the game. The best lpers don't sit there and 100% talk about the game. That would be boring and make for very predictable, boring, and stale commentary. Lps are 80% (and more) commentary, NOT the game. Me I hardly watch any lp: I usually just listen to it while doing something else. Which is why most lpers say whats happening in the game because a lot of people don't watch the lp: they listen. All lpers are different and all deliver on a different thing, I can easily see why you don't like NintednoCaprisun that doesn't mean you have to bog him down.

I like AttackingTucans and sometimes Chuggaaconroy. MasaeAnela is good too, but very similar to Chuggaaconroy.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Let's Plays =/= video walkthroughs with commentary

I don't like NCS at all, or any of the big-name LPers. But what makes them attractive is that they talk about other things - instead of having a straight video guide, they show their own playthrough (read: playthroughs aren't 100% efficient walkthroughs, they're merely runs through the game) with additional commentary ranging from any topic...literally.

If you want commentary that relates to the game, look for a commentated walkthrough. If you want professional, or at least efficient, gameplay, look for a video walkthrough.

DarkestLink

I'm not asking for a walkthrough, in fact, I clearly said this was an issue with the LPs I was watching (Issues #3 and #4) but I do expect the discussion to be about the game. I mean...it's a Let's Play. You don't have to tell me fascinating trivia about the game (though this is welcome) or be an expert, but, unless it's a blind run, I expect you to know what you're doing.

I expect to commentary to be about the game, the game experience you're having now or previous had, or maybe some witty jokes (even if they fail). If it's not about the game, I expect it to be related to the Let's Play in some way or another whether it be some trouble you had with it, some past LPs you're looking back on, or perhaps some plans for future LPs. The problem is, NCS (and nearly every LP I see) seem to either

A) Be a life story with gameplay in the background

:cool: A tutorial/walkthrough....

or

C) Both.

If the life story has something to do with a past gameplay experience, fine. If you're justifying your ingame actions (which would be confusing to a newbie) fine. But talking about what's going on in your life outside the game or giving me an ingame tutorial (going as far as to tell me what button to press) is just ridiculous. I know NCS isn't the only one, but I just don't see what's enjoyable about watching these.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I liked NCS because of the things he used to talk about, not talk about the game itself because he was interesting to me back then. More recently since TheRunawayGuys started however, I think him and chuggaaconroy have gotten a lot less entertaining, rather repetitive and boring. But LP's tend to have the commentators go off topic from the games all the time and talk about different things, that's why I prefer them to walkthroughs, because if I just wanted nothing but the game itself then I would just go play the game.

Just to throw it out there, lucahjin and GameGrumps are my favorite LP'ers.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A) Be a life story with gameplay in the background

:cool: A tutorial/walkthrough....

or

C) Both.
Right, and this truly is all that LPs are: random people speaking about nonsense or something in particular, all with game footage showing in the background.

DarkestLink

Right, and this truly is all that LPs are: random people speaking about nonsense or something in particular, all with game footage showing in the background.

Well....you disarmed me. Nothing I can really do to argue that. All I can do now is puzzle to myself the entertainment value of it.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
It's basically someone using video games to entertain people, whether with their voice-acting skills (in which case I recommend Gavaroc's Day of the Tentacle) or their humorous commentary or with their game-playing skills. Or a combination. A good LPer entertains people. You don't have to be well-known to do that, so I suggest looking up less popular LPers, such as the aforementioned Gavaroc.

((on the original subject, I don't much care for NCS either. XD))

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Some people find others to be genuinely interesting human beings. They entertain. I have to praise the people who manage to get so much attention from making LPs. In a community filled with thousands, if somebody stands out, they must be doing something right. Although standards in the genre aren't very high... There's too many people who think that if they own a capture card or a video camera (god forbid) and can ramble talk, they can LP. It takes more time and effort than people realise.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
The only LP I'll watch is RoosterTeeth's Achievement Hunter LPs. Their Minecraft LPs are topnotch.

Their gimmick? 4-6 players with funny personalities.
Emulating that might be a bit tough if you're LPing alone.

bunny

birb overlord
Like others have said, Let's Plays are not Walkthroughs. I've watched some of NintendoCaprisun's LPs, and I personally enjoy them because I think he's funny and I like to watch others play video games. And yes, he has very nasal voice, but I also think that's funny, so meh. I love to sit down and watch someone else play a video game. Any video game. I can hardly ever get my sister to play games anymore; that's actually how I started watching LPs in the first place.

While I don't watch NCS anymore, I looooove PewDiePie's videos. He's really funny, and I like that he includes a facecam. It makes his horror LPs very interesting. Also, most LPers read dialogue. I'm not too crazy about it either, but it's just what they do. Anyways, in short, the only reason I watch LPs at all is purely for entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom