• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What's the Best Zelda Game to Suggest to a Newcomer?

What's the best Zelda Game to Suggest to a Newcomer

• Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adventures of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Seasons

• Oracle of Ages

• The Wind Waker

• Four Swords

• Four Swords Adventures

• The Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword

• Total voters

Salem

SICK
They are? I really don't feel like they are. Especially with modern gamers because most of them look at a 2D game and say "That's stupid". Well, most modern gamer think Zelda is a baby game. Despite that, from what I've seen the modern mediocre gamer prefers 3D games because graphics and 3D games tend to be easier. I guess it just depends on the gamer you're recommending the series to. If they can appreciate 2D games, then I'd recommend ALttP. If they can't, I'd recommend OoT or TP.
Okay then, which game(s) do think take less time to learn the controls? I think the 2D ones, they generally have less buttons to learn, the mechanics are generally more obvious to someone not very experienced in the series, this is putting aside the overall challenge of the games.

That's what I meant by easier to get into, the controls are easier to learn.

Also, like DarkestLink said, 2D games don't really represent the series as a whole. I remember seeing so much backlash when ALBW was announced because of it's top down perspective. It seems like 2D is lost in the franchise. A 3D game represents the franchise better now.
WW has a lot of backlash because of the art style, it was eventually well liked by many fans, I know art styles and wither the game is 2D or 3D are different issues, but what I mean is the backlash eventually stops when the game is released and fans, even the ones that hated the then unreleased game because of shallow reasons, eventually move passed those things and become fans of the game, so we don't really know for sure how ALBW will turn out.

Other old franchises are like that too. If I were to recommend a Mario game to a newcomer to the franchise, I would recommend Super Mario 64.
Personaly I would recomend one of the New Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I'd have to say OoT. It's the most well-rounded game. Challenging but not toooo challenging, decent side quests, jumps right into the action, and has all the staples of the Zelda series. It represents the series well, and you don't want to introduce a newcomer to a Zelda game that's wacky for the series or has a lot of flaws.

A close second might be TMC. Great game to introduce a newcomer to the 2D Zelda world. It's alltogether another very well put together game and IM PISSED THAT I LOST MY COPY.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword is the best game to recommend to any Zelda player - newcomer or not. It's everything Zelda should be, and everything that Zelda ever WANTED to be. Plus, it's ultra family friendly, so there's that aspect to consider.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Okay then, which game(s) do think take less time to learn the controls? I think the 2D ones, they generally have less buttons to learn, the mechanics are generally more obvious to someone not very experienced in the series, this is putting aside the overall challenge of the games.

That's what I meant by easier to get into, the controls are easier to learn.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess don't really have difficult controls. Sure they have more mechanics and buttons to learn than the basic controls and mechanics of the 2D ones, but that doesn't mean it's harder to learn. Those games even give you tutorials on the controls and mechanics. It's not blind like the 2D ones are. So, even though they are less obvious, the game still teaches you how to play the game. There's also this thing called a manual that maps out the controls. The average modern gamer isn't and idiot... Well most aren't.

Also, less buttons doesn't necessarily make it easier. NES games are considered very difficult and the NES controller has 8 buttons. The average modern gamer is used to the more recent generations' controllers anyways. Less buttons doesn't even make it so the controls are easier. Zelda II's controls are confusing and a pain at times, at least to me they are.

WW has a lot of backlash because of the art style, it eventually was well , it was eventually well liked by many fans, I know art styles and wither the game is 2D or 3D are different issues, but what I mean is the backlash eventually stops when the game is released and fans, even the ones that hated the then unreleased game because of shallow reasons, eventually move passed those things and become fans of the game, so we don't really know for sure how ALBW will turn out.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I saw Zelda fans, hardcore fans, and fans that played the 2D Zeldas immediately bash ALBW because of it's top down perspective. I'm not even bashing ALBW at all; don't knock it until you try it. It just seems like 2D has been lost from the franchise, and lost from the gaming world nowadays. The average modern gamer is used to 3D games since we rarely see 2D games anymore. Like I said though, it really depends in the person you're recommending the game to.

Personaly I would recomend one of the New Super Mario Bros.
Difference of opinion and I'm fine with that.

Skyward Sword is the best game to recommend to any Zelda player - newcomer or not. It's everything Zelda should be, and everything that Zelda ever WANTED to be. Plus, it's ultra family friendly, so there's that aspect to consider.
STOP 180ING!

H

HenryDaRed

The original obviously. When Zelda was new, it was the only game we had as an intro. I say transitions: Let them play from over the years, so they can see how it evolved and how unpredictable the surprises can be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
STOP 180ING!
How dare you. It is not a 180 to present something to the general public. I am allowed to say that Skyward Sword is the best game for newcomers and veterans alike - while I may not subscribe to that opinion in my heart, for the forum's sake I shall be as positive about the newest Zelda game as I possibly can via my text. Thank you sir and have a good day.

Salem

SICK
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess don't really have difficult controls. Sure they have more mechanics and buttons to learn than the basic controls and mechanics of the 2D ones, but that doesn't mean it's harder to learn. Those games even give you tutorials on the controls and mechanics. It's not blind like the 2D ones are. So, even though they are less obvious, the game still teaches you how to play the game. There's also this thing called a manual that maps out the controls. The average modern gamer isn't and idiot... Well most aren't.

Also, less buttons doesn't necessarily make it easier. NES games are considered very difficult and the NES controller has 8 buttons. The average modern gamer is used to the more recent generations' controllers anyways. Less buttons doesn't even make it so the controls are easier. Zelda II's controls are confusing and a pain at times, at least to me they are.
It's like I said, this is putting aside the general challenge if the games, talking ONLY about the controls, I'm aware that Zelda, even the 3D ones have easy to learn controls compared to most games.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I saw Zelda fans, hardcore fans, and fans that played the 2D Zeldas immediately bash ALBW because of it's top down perspective. I'm not even bashing ALBW at all; don't knock it until you try it. It just seems like 2D has been lost from the franchise, and lost from the gaming world nowadays. The average modern gamer is used to 3D games since we rarely see 2D games anymore. Like I said though, it really depends in the person you're recommending the game to.
Myabe because I'm soooo out of the loop, but I never "saw" ANY backlash against ALBW's 2Dness, most of it that I observed was directed at the overworld's similarity to ALTTP's, I only learned people were against 2D when I joined this forum.

That backlash struck me as odd because we had two main entries for the DS that had a top-down perspective, so it's natural to expect another one for the 3DS, right? I never saw the OOT3D as a sign that they'll necessarily continue to make 3D Zelda games for it right now, cause you know? The same thing happen with Mario, a remake for Super Mario 64 was released for the DS, and then later a 2D Mario was made for it. Did any one else see the pattern? A 3D Mario was only released much later, so if a 3D Zelda was released for the 3DS, it might be after a while or something.

How dare you. It is not a 180 to present something to the general public. I am allowed to say that Skyward Sword is the best game for newcomers and veterans alike - while I may not subscribe to that opinion in my heart, for the forum's sake I shall be as positive about the newest Zelda game as I possibly can via my text. Thank you sir and have a good day.
Once ALBW is releases, will you stop being so positive about SS, since it's no longer the newest title?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

onebizarrekai

gay energy
The Wind Waker, or Ocarina of Time.

WW was the first Zelda game introduced to me. I feel like this the best Zelda game for a newcomer, because of it's easy difficulty, and it's easy to understand how to play, and after that, playing other games will be easier. Also, it's a beautiful game on top of that, has wonderful music, and sets a good first impression on the series for someone who hasn't played it.

Ocarina of Time is also a good one, but it's harder than Wind Waker. That's not much of a problem, but I feel like WW would be better, since Ocarina of Time was made quite some time ago, and not all Zelda games are the same as it. If that was the first one they played, it might make them expect that the rest are just the same, so they might be disappointed in some of the other games.

So, Wind Waker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom