• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What You Could Go Without in ZeldaU

Since Ocarina we have had time cycles in our 3D games, SS was the first not to have one that acted on its own, instead you had to find a bed and turn the game to night manually which stopped you from leaving Skyloft aside from Beedle's island to begin a sidequest.

SS also did away with the Hidden Skills that Twilight Princess introduced and gave us a divided overworld which needed a transition area to navigate fully (the sky)

These may have not been conscious choices to strip SS of past elements, more so it may have just been Nintendo's idea of 'trying something new'

So, taking this into account, which elements and mechanics could you do without in ZeldaU? If something was not going to be added to ZeldaU that we have seen in the past then what would you rather that be? What could you live without in ZeldaU that we have seen already in previous games like Day Cycles?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I could easily go without 1:1 motion controls....Sure they worked and to an extent were fun but I just think there too controversial and too much of a gimmick was made out of them in Skyward Sword, If you think about it SS was based around Wii motion plus and imo a game should never be based around a control scheme!

Another thing I could go without would be too informative companions....Two big examples would be Fi and Navi! Tbh I didn't care for neither character and this was solely due to the fact that they were incredibly annoying and a companion imo should be more like Midna. Midna for one was not used as an excuse to inform you basic controls ect. She was used to add to the game and more importantly for a narrative!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
M+ controls. I liked them, but I can happily accept TP style controls again.

Treasure. Please. Get. Rid. Of. It.

Sidequests

Upgrades

Dash Meter

Shield Meter

Mirror Shield

Day cycles. They will, however, be missed.

I've never enjoyed Hidden Skills and wouldn't mind if the next adventure lacked them. Twilight Princess's hidden skills were only put to good use in the Cave of Ordeals where barrages of tough enemies required crafty attack and movement to defeat especially on lower floors. Learning the hidden skills broke the sense of realism as Link was teleported to who knows where to confer with the Hero's Shade. Skyward Sword better implemented a few of the hidden skills as regular techniques but then I felt I was receiving a lesser package bereft of certain executions and parries.

Kazumi

chagy
Well, I could definitely go without motion/touch based controls. They were pretty fun for a while, but I don't really see them as being a major improvement to the series that will stick. It wasn't anything revolutionary, and while the control scheme was solid for the game that it was in, I don't really want to see it again in the future.

Additionally, I could definitely go without any sort of in-game "walkthrough" or hint system as was found in Skyward Sword. I can understand the appeal of it to those who aren't experienced with Zelda or video games in general, but honestly I found the system in SS to be far too obtuse and frustrating to be useful to that demographic, and to everyone else it was just useless and occasionally annoying.

As for something that hasn't yet been in a game, I would like to mention that I could really go without "innovative" uses for the Wii U gamepad. If Nintendo wants to use it for a map and/or inventory such as the bottom screen of the 3DS was used for in OoT 3D, that's fine. In fact, I encourage that because it's terribly convenient. However, what I don't want to see is Nintendo cooking up some gimmicky methods of shoe-horning Gamepad functionality into the game just because they can. I'm sorry, but half-baked concept awkwardly fitted into the game are not the best way to showcase the features of the Gamepad.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Why? All Zelda games have been based around their control scheme, as has any good/great game. A game that isn't built with its controller in mind is set up to fail.

Here's what Nintendo probably did....

-Motion + gets released...
-They see how good the sword mechanics worked in Wii sports resort
-Nintendo decide for Motion + to be the way forward for Zelda
-They came up with the sword gameplay mechanics
-Realise that because sword gameplay is so big in the game that they decide to base the story around a sword
-They realise that the origins of the master sword have never been touched upon, so they base the story around that
-And Skyward Sword is born

This seems pretty backwards to me! Sure control's our important but they are NOT the most important aspect of a game! In my opinion games should come from an inspiration. The LoZ series was born from an inspiration itself! I would easily put Gameplay, story, graphics before controls anyday...

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Why? All Zelda games have been based around their control scheme, as has any good/great game. A game that isn't built with its controller in mind is set up to fail.

OoT, MM, tWW, TP. The controls were built around the game. Not the other way around. OoT 3DS is proof of this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I could certainly go without:
- The Lack of a Magic Meter and an Emphasis on Magic Itself
I'm rather tired of the Zelda series' lack of options within gameplay (and when I say options, I don't mean directions in which you can slash :P ), but what I really want is a magic meter to return. We haven't seen it for 10 years as I recall, nor have we seen magic proper in like 10 years (or extend that if you feel AoL is the pinnacle of magic in Zelda, which many actually do).​

- Motion Controls
I generally do not like gimmicks in my gameplay that don't add much, and motion controls haven't added much so far in gaming. Kinect, Wii, WiiMotion+, PSMove...the stuff just isn't compatible with my personal image of gaming. At least, not right now. I'd prefer Zelda Wii U to be totally traditional controls, no motion required (except maybe panning the camera with gamepad camera, but this'd be optional ;) )

-A Low Dungeon Count
Anything lower than 10 dungeons, I personally say trash it. I want a lengthy Zelda for the U, not something that can be completed in two-three sittings (this doesn't include cutscenes and lengthy dialogue boxes)

-Inability to Skip Cutscenes on First Go
Nintendo seems to be upping the ante on cgi movies for Zelda, but with this comes the necessity to skip scenes. Yeah, skipping scenes will result in the player typically being lost. However, not everyone plays a game for the story, and I'd say most don't play games for the story content. I personally skipped every single cutscene on my first playthrough in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, including the Credits and Opening. If Nintendo continues with the idea they started in Skyward Sword, they'll alienate players and fast.

DarkestLink

I could certainly go without:
- The Lack of a Magic Meter and an Emphasis on Magic Itself

-A Low Dungeon Count

-Inability to Skip Cutscenes on First Go

I can't tell if you're trying to be a smartass or not. XD

Deeds

no text
I agree. When developers are designing a game, they can't design it without thought of the control methods, every single game developer does this. It just so happens that WM+ games have to be crafted in a particular way to make full use of it, and that's what they did. There wasn't anything else they could've done, other then not using the WM+, but they're a game company. They make games to make money, they make products to make money - they put WM+ in SS to make money. Shoot them.

I'm confused about this thread, though. Are we meant to talk about anything we could go without? Or things that you like that you could go without?
Because, I could easily go without a lot of things that I dislike, but not a lot of things I like.
I could go without the shield meter from SS, if shields come back (I'm sure they will). I found it really irritating having to go back to the bazaar and repair my shield when it took a couple hits, then again, I never really used it. Haha.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
:lol: You dissaprove of Nintendo Land? Because I find it pretty entertaining!

Games like The Legend of Zelda are not solely used to show off a control scheme:

-The original 3 games were never based off a control scheme, they were based largely of an inspiration
-LA was based around the GB, as it was the first handeld Zelda
-OoT and MM were the first games to introduce a 3D layout, so the gameplay was based around the manynmechanics that came with a 3D game
-The Oracles were based around the new Gameboy handheld and it was the first handeld Zelda game to have a coloured scheme
-The WW was the first GC game and I would say WW was mainly based around the Cel-Shaded graphics
-Minish Cap is a tough one....
-The 4 Swords games were based around the multiplayer system
-TP was originally meant for the GC so I would say it was based around being the spiritual successor to OoT
-PH and ST toman extent you could say where based around the Controls but itcould also be argurpes that they were based around the WW
-As I mentioned SS imo was based around the Wii Motion +

Sure Controls are important but a game series as important and influential as Zelda should never be bsaed off a contols Gimmick!

Deeds

no text
Sure Controls are important but a game series as important and influential as Zelda should never be bsaed off a contols Gimmick!
Well, we think it shouldn't. Though, because Zelda is so important, it influenced those to make full use of the WM+.
Like I've already said, you can't blame an obviously corporate company for using a well respected game to show off a fantastic accessory, and make money while doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom