• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U What Would Make WW Better

K

kSwiss

Honestly, I love Wind Waker. It was my first Zelda game, and I think it's an all around good game. But I do think that it could be tweaked a bit in some areas.

I love the sailing idea and how you can do something on each island, but I think they should have made the sailing distance a little shorter, or add more warp points around the map. I also think possibly adding one or two more things to do at each island would make exploring them more fun.

I also think that if they added a few more dungeons or even possibly adding to the story line would have made it even better.

I would want them to add the two additional dungeons that they scrapped to get the game out more quickly for the fans.
I've heard this mentioned before, but does anyone have a source? Or know what the two dungeons were going to be like?

As for my part, I love TWW. It's in my top 3. But I would have loved for a couple more full-sized dungeons in which they could have scattered a couple Triforce shards each or something to cut down on the "gathering the shards" repetition a bit.

zellinkda

one of many
Absolutely nothing. It is a masterpiece in my opinion. A lot of people had issues with game but not me. It is one of the very few video games that I would call "perfect". I know a lot of people found the long sailing annoying, but I really didn't. When I play a Zelda game I prepare to immerse myself in it for the long hall; i don't want to rush through it.. I found the long sailing sequences to be fun; as it made the ocean more realistic. Call me crazy but I think TWW was an amazing game that needs no improvement whatsoever.
I absolutely completely and 100% think that's right. WW is a good game, and no game is absolutely perfect. i don't think that the sailing was annoying either, and i actually thought it was fun although people hated sailing.

Things that should happen: Graphical Updates, obviously. Make it as smooth as technically possible.

Add at least two dungeons, and make some subtle changes to the old ones. For the Earth and Wind dungeons, dont let the islands take you directly to the dungeon. Let them take you to a small enclosed piece of hyrule, then let you hunt for the dungeon down there. While down in hyrule, fight some classic enemies. Land Octoroks, Lizalfos, something like that. Then have a few more hyrule places, maybe 1-3 more, to explore. Give the place a second overworld, just dont let it be more important than the first. Instead, make it seem like one big dungeon that you have to find the triforce in. THAT would be the best change to WW i could think of.

The Wind Waker was an awesome game. However there are some things that could have been executed better.

The number one complaint among fans and critics seems to be exploration, which revolved around sailing the Great Sea. I personally thought sailing was a great aspect of The Wind Waker, and is what set it apart in the series. My only problem with this aspect was the lack of interesting locales to explore. It would have been nice to visit an island inhabited by pirates or a small port town that featured an assortment of minigames. It would have also been cool to explore Great Fish Island post-destruction. Moreover, seeing a few other travelers on the sea would have been an interesting addition. That way, the player would not have always felt so alone out there (I know, there was the King, but still...). Some other interesting things could have sprung from such an addition as well, such as more side-quests and seafaring 'missions'. That brings me to the 'Search for the 8 Triforce Shards' quest. It felt as though it was forced in at the very last minute; it was arguably the most tedious part of the game. It could have been better executed into the story. Adding mini-dungeons hidden on a few of the smaller islands would have likely resolved that issue, as well as given many of the barren islands an actual purpose. One of my fondest memories was embarking on a second quest hoping that the Koroks' efforts would be finally realized... *sigh*

Conversely....

In retrospect, I don't think the Great Sea as a whole was ever meant to be the way I mentioned above. If I recall, the latter part of WW's plot was significantly centered around the post-diluvian Hyrule. Personally, the desolateness of the sea gave me a sense of longing for the Hyrule of ages' past (of Ocarina of Time). The emptiness and lack of settlement on its various islands was very effective in that regard, as it left me [the player] emotionally connected to the story. Simply put, if the Great Sea was 'perfect' and brimming with activity, the player [and characters] would likely be content with the way it was, which would have detracted from that emotional aspect. The plot of the game would also have been different, as Link and Tetra would have not needed to search for new land - a new Hyrule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I felt that there should have been a lot more to find on the islands themselves. Far too many islands were only there for a single small purpose of either picking up a chart or playing a mini game. Other than that they were just very tiny little islands that had no real purpose and maybe had a couple chuchu's on them for a fight. The lack of enemies to face on many of them contributed to the emptiness of the game. In my opinion I think it worked against the exploration aspect of the game. The Great Sea was huge and there were many places to roam to but very very few things to actually find and do. and all too often when you did discover an island it was either just there to water a tree or play a cannon game. It gives you a feeling of wasted time just moving in that direction in the first place. The game does move very slowly in that sence because it takes a very long time to get around the map by sailing but there are only a few locations actually worth going to. I think some of those islands should have been much larger with more land areas to explore around. That way you have reason to return to them for more than just picking up the required chart and then leave never to attempt returning again. They should have at least had more monsters to fight on them, it seems that the guard towers were the replacement for that in this game.

I believe it was lacking in Dungeons, it did seem like it should have had at least two more somewhere. I did not like the searching for the triforce quest taking the place of a dungeon, it felt too much like a required minigame or sidequest. The dungeons themselves were great but there was often lots of time spent between them in many cases. Plenty of times you have to do various fetch quests for a while before you could enter them.

I also wish that there was more to see and do in Hyrule. It seems like it is almost not even needed when you go down to the world below and all you can do is take the path from Hyrule Castle to Ganondorf's Tower. It feels like another wasted reward. You spend all this time and effort trying to make your way to this area and open up the world below only to have just one castle and a pathway open to you at the end of the game. There is nothing else to be done in the entire region.

I can also see just how the artstyle can turn people off to the game at a first glance. I never had any problems with cell shading and I have seen many games pull it off before. But it was the artistic style that made things look far too childish. The oversized head, and tiny body lacking feet character design that still seems so odd each time I look at it. It was just a weird direction to take Zelda. Especially after the spaceworld demo that showed off the power of a gamecube had many people hyped for a high graphics adventure only to have all their hopes dropped when they saw the first pics of Wind Waker. I imagine shock had a lot to do with the disappointment in the look of the game.

More dungeons, and the ones that exist need to be harder. The Wind Temple is still one of my all-time favorite dungeons, but the Earth Temple was a joke. Makar is adorable, I wish they could make him your sidekick in a new Zelda, like how in OoT the Great Deku Tree sent Navi to be your sidekick, a new Zelda in the WW world could have the Deku Tree send Makar to be your sidekick. Wow off-topic. My last request would be for a WW Master Quest, without parrying. Parrying was just ridiculous. That is all.

I always liked Wind Waker, but aside from the obvious things like speeding up the sailing and adding more warp points, I personally would like to have seen less padding, especially when getting the triforce pieces. That was just annoying.

L

LinkGreenCap

I haven't played Wind Waker. My cousin has and said that's what got him into Zelda. Is it good? I wish I could find a copy of it.

B

Blacksorrow24

Faster sailing, just ONE MORE DUNGEON :) Loved all the wind waker dungeons, any more would be great!

M

Monkalrus

Faster and funner sailing. Something similar to flying in Skyward Sword. Faster and funner. Make treasure hunting less tedious. Besides that the game was pretty amazing.

I believe that WW is a work of art. No changes should be made.

10000% agree! :) Wind Waker is awesome

L

LegendofDylan

It needs to be easier but less complicated like how you have to talk to a fish to find out were the two volcanos are

P

Pm88

All I want is a faster way to travel other than that the game is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom