• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Was Nintendo Thinking?

Trentino

Modern Day Warrior
Okay I'm not sure where I should have posted this. So when Nintendo was making Majora's Mask, did they know fierce deity link was going to be one of the most discussed characters in Zelda history? Or did they make fierce deity as an award for getting all the masks and they felt like they needed more stuff on the moon? I don't think that they expected fierce deity to be such a big hit, or they would have explained more about him, or made him a bigger part of the game. Maybe they would have even put him in his own game. So what do you think? o_O

Amelie

Air Dancer
I think a game with him would be great ^^ And I agree. I dont think they knew he would be so popular. I think he was just supposed to be a bonus like you said.

L

Lobaluz

I think I know a game you could like :lol:.
But yeah, it's true that Oni-Link is very popular among those who played M'sM and we have never seen him again. Well... he was not really a character but a mask so...
Even in the manga (I just checked it) they don't give any information about that mask, Majora just give it to Link to "play". Though they give the story of the Majora's mask creation.

I think I know a game you could like :lol:.
But yeah, it's true that Oni-Link is very popular among those who played M'sM and we have never seen him again. Well... he was not really a character but a mask so...
Even in the manga (I just checked it) they don't give any information about that mask, Majora just give it to Link to "play". Though they give the story of the Majora's mask creation.
Yes, in the manga the Fierce Deity was the one who essentially killed (more liked tricked it into dying) the beast, and carved it's armor into Majora's Mask.

Anyway... I think that the mask was likely intended as a reward, but possibly with a bit more symbolism intended. What that symbolism is... I'm not sure.

I would like to see more of it sometime, though. (And Lobaluz, I'll have to check your fangame out when I have the time. ;))

T

Twilight_Link10

I think that half of the game shound be kid link and then he gets the fierce deity mask and becomes fierce deity link for the rest of the game like OoT

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
I'm not sure if they knew the impact Oni Link would have on the Zelda community, but it's no surprise. He's the strongest form we've ever seen Link in since Link grabbed the clock item in the original LoZ. Oni's offensive strength is amazing, enough to where he can fence with bosses like the Majora and easily win.

I loved playing as him. I think he was definitely overpowered, but I'd expect nothing less from a "Fierce Deity".

K

Kali075

I believe that at some point in MM's development there was going to be an "Adult Link Mask," or something along those lines. MM was all about using as many OoT models as possible to save time, which is why it only took them a year to make it. I guess somewhere they decided instead of Adult Link to just recolor him a bit and make him Fierce Deity. But I agree that it's odd that so little is said about it. It's just handed to you. Most transformation masks have more plot significance than that. And yes, I suppose they also wanted to give a big reward for those who got every mask, since it involves a LOT of sidequests.

Edit:
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=47&pos=-1335

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Anyway... I think that the mask was likely intended as a reward, but possibly with a bit more symbolism intended. What that symbolism is... I'm not sure.

Do you think the Fierce Deity was a symbion of all the people of Termina fighting against Majora together, sort of like the unity that seems to be lacking the whole way through the game. Think about it, through MM you travel around Termina collecting masks off people who are happy, people who are sad and people who are dying and want to be remembered. In each of those masks there is something of their former user left, and when you trade all the masks in to the children in the moon, they ask you about how your friends feel about you etc... my point is that when you obtain the Fierce Deity mask, it's sort of like all the people of Termina coming together for one final "middle fingered gesture" at Majora.

I love MM, so much sybolism and moral value! :)

Din Akera

Sniper
when you obtain the Fierce Deity mask, it's sort of like all the people of Termina coming together for one final "middle fingered gesture" at Majora.

I really like that idea. Very good!

The part that has always gotten me think was the part about the mask being 'evil' or (I forget what the actual line is) "more dangerous than major's mask itself" I have always though there should have been more story around the mask and around the deity itself. I think he is wicked cool!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I think the mask was nintendo's slick way of inserting an image of adult Link into the game. True he's a lot bigger but he still holds Link's classic "charm" for lack of a better word. I think a game about Fierce Deity Link would be Awesome. Not sure how they would do it though since you have to wear a green pointy hat and be called Link in order to be Zelda's Legend. A spin off would probably be the best game, though if they do this some may get mad for their own reaons.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
Actually, he isnt too much bigger. his size varies if you want to think about it like that though. If you do the glitch that lets you use him in the overworld, it really seems that all other models have shrunk. the levers are the same size as the red rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom