• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Steps Do You Take To Write Your Papers?

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
I rarely plan my writing ahead of time. I stare at a blank document for a minute and subsequently commence working.

I am the same way. I never pre-write. Ever. I find pre-writing a waste of time, although sometimes I'll write down a word or two to keep my mind rolling on the topic I'm writing about in the paper. Otherwise, pre-writing has never been important to me.

I have to sit myself down in a completely silent room in order to type up a paper. I cannot have any distractions whatsoever; the tiniest of noises will irk me. I then proceed to - like ALIT said - stare at the blank document until something spontaneously pops into my head as a good intro sentence. Once I get the introduction sentence down, I can usually roll on through the paper. I like to say that I'm a good enough writer that I can type up a decent 2-3 page paper in about 45 minutes or less. Like I said, once the introduction is written down on the paper, next is the thesis and then I'm already on my path to finishing it quickly.

Last edited:

bunny

birb overlord
I will usually write an outline first so I at least have an idea of what I'll be writing about, and then I will add in more details.

1. Procrastinate
2. Pull out supplies and pretend like I'm writing
3. Fall asleep
4. Wake up and eat
5. Procrastinate some more
6. F*** b****es
7. Get money
8. Somehow manage an A while doing as little as possible

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
1.) Procrastinate
2.) Spend 5 hours thinking about what to write
3.) Give up and write random crap on the paper

Jedizora

:right:
I Just end up doing it the night before. Or in class, the period before its due. I get the same grade I would get anyway, so why bother?

octorok74

TETTAC
I do a couple things to right a paper. One is I play some RvB music, because it gets me pumped. Then I open Microsoft Word and type the title. Then I hop onto XBL and get into a party with some friends. Usually I play Halo and in between matches I'll type a couple sentences. Not good for time constraints, but I least I get it done.

The first thing that I do is procrastinate, so I won't even list it in my writing routine. My writing process is as follows (note: assume that everything is done on the night before the paper is due unless stated otherwise):

1) Pick my topics and whatnot (in class)
2a) If I have to work in class/turn in parts of the paper over the course of the week, I will actually work in class on it (I spruce it up a bit once I get home).
2b) If I don't have to work in class: stare blankly at my topics paper for a while.
3) Rough draft (optional)
4) Final typed paper
5) Proofread the paper and fix mistakes
6) Turn in and get at least a high B

arkvoodle

Diabolical
1- Planning

Before I begin any essay, i'll always take 5- 10 minutes to co-ordinate and get my ideas into some sort of order. I'll write down snippets, quotes and other useful things that I can integrate and i'll form some sort of structure that I can follow in my head. I find that when you have some sort of co-ordination and structure to get your ideas in motion, things flow and come together easier.

2- Introductory paragraph

To give a broad outline of what i'll cover and the paths i'll take, I provide a sort of summary to begin. Within i'll note some dates, perhaps even people involved, their roles and their contributions to whatever the essay is focusing on. After this i'll delve into more detail in the main body and accompanying paragraphs of the essay.

3- Main Body

The main body of the essay covers really everything. Brings up arguments, addresses the question, addresses themes, reoccurring elements and noteworthy traits, travels down ideological pathways and forms the broad basis and body of the entire paper.

4- Conclusion

The concluding paragraphs bring together all the loose ends, as well as providing a personal opinion and closing all the doors and paths I ventured down, culminating all I discussed in a concluding sentence, normally relating to what I stated in the introduction. (In the introduction I state my opinion, for instance: "I am of the opinion that ____ caused _____". In the main body I discuss my reasoning, provide evidence and state counter arguments).

That's really all I do when writing essays. Before I begin the actual paper, I try not to waste time. The faster I can get it done and over with, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom