• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U What Made You Hate The Triforce Hunt?

I liked it.

Wind Waker is at its best outside of the dungeons (I felt the wind waker dungeons weren't great), and so an extended 'exploration' section is exactly the sort of place where this game could shine. It wasn't like it was just exploring the sea, either: places like the Savage Labyrinth were a lot of fun to complete. A lot of people complain about Tingle's costs but there always seemed to be a lot of rupees along the quest.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What I hate:
- Find the Triforce Charts
I really hated having to find the triforce charts. After the third time running through the game, I practically memorized the locations of each and every Triforce Shard, so why not skip a step or two and just find the pieces myself? But no, that's impossible as the game forces you as I recall to pick up the charts beforehand. Talk about a major drag!

- Decipher the Triforce Charts
If finding the charts wasn't bad enough, guess what! Now we must decipher the bloody things! No, don't think this is like one of those scratch card-things you get at lotteries. That notion is further from the truth than anything else you could think of! What deciphering these charts entails is speaking to the most bizarre, obnoxious character ever made; scouring the world for a bunch rupees -- 395 to be exact -- in order to pay said bizarre, obnoxious character; possibly obtaining upgrades for your rupee bag (or "wallet", as TheBlueReptile calls it) along the way; running to and fro just to do this. Yeah, I know I'm exaggerating, but the Triforce Shard quest was really a painstaking journey, even if we had a nice reward at the end. D:

Warning: Minority Opinion

The Triforce Hunt is my favourite portion in any Zelda game and no I'm not joking. I loved it. Constant sailing with no dungeons to get in the way, it felt like a way of life, it felt right to me. I loved it.

I guess I'm part of the minority opinion. I thought that the exploring it required to get the charts and find them was a great idea. I thought that the best thing about Wind Waker was the sailing. It really brought the exploration of a big, open, unknown world back from the NES Zelda days. Some may disagree, but in most cases since AoL you had a map that you could look at to show you the general area. In Wind Waker however, you have to play through the game to make that map anything more than a blank piece of paper. I just really loved the exploring in Wind Waker because I've always like sailing and railroad travel and things like that so it kind of struck a chord with me. I did not like paying that greedy jerk Tingle though.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I guess I'm part of the minority opinion. I thought that the exploring it required to get the charts and find them was a great idea. I thought that the best thing about Wind Waker was the sailing. It really brought the exploration of a big, open, unknown world back from the NES Zelda days. Some may disagree, but in most cases since AoL you had a map that you could look at to show you the general area. In Wind Waker however, you have to play through the game to make that map anything more than a blank piece of paper. I just really loved the exploring in Wind Waker because I've always like sailing and railroad travel and things like that so it kind of struck a chord with me. I did not like paying that greedy jerk Tingle though.

I'm fine with exploration. I don't love it. I don't hate it. It's just a part of the game. What I have problem with is how...little you do.

Basically, check your map, change wind direction, set sail. Now, for the next few minutes, how about you go grab a coke or something? Maybe discuss on the forums (yeah, I'm doing this as I'm sailing). It doesn't matter. The enemies are few are incredibly unlikely to hit you unless you sail through the triangle island with the 30 seahats.

I'm fine with exploration. I don't love it. I don't hate it. It's just a part of the game. What I have problem with is how...little you do.

Basically, check your map, change wind direction, set sail. Now, for the next few minutes, how about you go grab a coke or something? Maybe discuss on the forums (yeah, I'm doing this as I'm sailing). It doesn't matter. The enemies are few are incredibly unlikely to hit you unless you sail through the triangle island with the 30 seahats.

I guess that all just kind of depends how patient you can be and how much you can enjoy the ride. Like for me I can't stand grinding in RPG's because I think battling the same enemy over and over again for a decreasing amount of experience points. Some people can't stand grinding, some people can't stand the sailing in Wind Waker. That's just an example of course

DarkestLink

I guess that all just kind of depends how patient you can be and how much you can enjoy the ride. Like for me I can't stand grinding in RPG's because I think battling the same enemy over and over again for a decreasing amount of experience points. Some people can't stand grinding, some people can't stand the sailing in Wind Waker. That's just an example of course

But what was there to enjoy? You are doing absolutely nothing.

There's also some personal issues I have with the sea and music itself. I found the music to be annoyingly obnoxious and the sea was just...boring...all one color. Maybe if it had TP graphics it wouldn't be so bad for me. Maybe spot some underwater relics on your trip between islands.

There's also some personal issues I have with the sea and music itself. I found the music to be annoyingly obnoxious and the sea was just...boring...all one color. Maybe if it had TP graphics it wouldn't be so bad for me. Maybe spot some underwater relics on your trip between islands.

See when I went out to the sea in Wind Waker I felt like I was adventuring into a big unknown area and everytime I sailed past a new island on my way to the charts or next place I thought, "Oh here's something new to check out." For me I found the enjoyment in the idea that while sailing through I might find some treasure or a new island to check out. I know quite a few of them didn't have a lot to them, but it was the idea that made it exciting for me. In my case it's just the way I see it I guess. I agree that it was often too long to sail to your next destination, but I made it better for myself because I was thinking about what I might find next. I didn't just focus on okay I want to be at this place now.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars

You might be insane if you disliked any of TWWs music...
And theres tons to do on the great sea, especially when exploring it for the first time. Nothing beats finding a brand new speck of island on the horizon, or grappling up an unexpected 200 rupees, or fighting an unexpecte giant squid. Plus te scenery was gorgeous.
Though these are all matters of opinion so who are we to decide?

Anyways, i liked the triforce quest. Particularly finding the charts was the fun part because you do something new everytime to get the charts. And these trials were challenging and entertaining IMO. What i found tedious was the paying tongle and especially dragging up the triforce pieces. All in all i didnt dislike it, but i wouldve preferred more dungeons

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Meh, I really didn't have much reason to hate it. The only think I could think of, is that you had to decipher them ONE AT A TIME. I wish you could just decipher them all at once.... other than that, I'm fine with going on an extravagant search. It makes the game last longer. :3 ... plus, I even Play the JP version, and, well, one of the charts has a chain of charts attached to it, and I actually found that to be amusing. But I guess I was just raised that way, since, for fun, when I was like- 5 or so, my father would hide slips of paper all around the house, then give me one, telling me where to find the next one, then that one would ttell me where to find the NEXT ONE, ...and so-on and so forth, and at the end I'd get anywhere from a quarter to a dollar. It was actually kind of fun. xD

I guess it just feels like more of a fun "treasure hunt" kinda game or whatever xD

DarkestLink

You might be insane if you disliked any of TWWs music...

Sorry, I just found some pieces like the Great Sea to be annoying an obnoxious. I usually just mute it when I get to this point and play the Cursed Great Sea on Youtube or something.

And theres tons to do on the great sea, especially when exploring it for the first time. Nothing beats finding a brand new speck of island on the horizon, or grappling up an unexpected 200 rupees,

50 Rupees*

And...eh...not really...I wasn't interested in any of the islands unless they had relevance. And grappling the chests weren't that exciting either....there's nothing to it except stopping, pressing a button, and then watching a small cut-scene. Sounds about as fun as place 50 chests out in the open in TP's field and just collecting them all.

or fighting an unexpecte giant squid.

Yeah, those were fun, too bad you were only likely to stumble into one during an entire playthrough, unless you went out of your way to find them (Weeee...more sailing...)

Plus te scenery was gorgeous.

This was actually the biggest disappointment for me. Overall, I think the Cell Shading is fine for the game and fits the style, but whenever I am at the sea, I keep wishing the game was made with the realistic style, so we could get some beautiful scenery with the water like we did with Twilight Princess's Lake Hylia, rather than the dull one-colored blue the game offered.

Anyways, i liked the triforce quest. Particularly finding the charts was the fun part because you do something new everytime to get the charts. And these trials were challenging and entertaining IMO. What i found tedious was the paying tongle and especially dragging up the triforce pieces. All in all i didnt dislike it, but i wouldve preferred more dungeons

Ironically, I think they scrapped dungeons for this....and yeah, I agree that finding the charts themselves wasn't too bad for the most part (assuming you knew what you were doing), but I find it surprising that you didn't enjoy dragging up the pieces. Previously you said you enjoyed finding rupees in the sea. Well....this is more or less the same thing.

bunny

birb overlord
I don't really hate it, actually. I see it as an opportunity to explore the Great Sea more, since I don't usually do that in the beginning of the game.

To be honest, I didn't think it took that long, anyways. It doesn't bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom