• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What It Would Take to Make the Best Zelda Game?

Could you imagine a Zelda game where they took the TP cut-scenes, the involvement for side-quests from MM, the exploration from ones like the original LoZ, and the really good dungeon design of OoT or most of any of the other games really? If they could integrate all those things correctly we would probably have the best Zelda game ever. Of course the problem with this idea is that if it isn't done well it could end up feeling overstuffed and too ambitious. Either way I want to hear what you guys think. Did I forget anything that should be mentioned, or would you just like to discuss what you feel would be a key component to make the best Zelda game?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Basically combine TP and SS together, give it MM's sidequests, and then try to improve it further.

You can't make the 'best' Zelda game. You can make some awesome ones but not the best one. And combining past elements from other games won't work, people would say it'd be too familiar if the game did nothing more than what we've seen before. You may like the games you mentioned in the OP and may feel it'd make the best Zelda game but I know someone who hates the life out of TP and won't touch anything vaguely similar so already, the 'best' Zelda game has a hater.

We can all just wait for a great Zelda game that hopefully isn't too much of a rehash of old ideas etc.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. (Only this time in bullet points.)

• A Link to the Past's exploration
  • Ocarina of Time's balance of ideas
  • Majora's Mask's sidequests
  • The Minish Cap's overworld structure
  • Skyward Sword's combat
  • Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword's puzzle-solving
All of this, of course, in tandem with refinements and new ideas, as well as some other minor features (RPG mechanics, resource management, etc.).

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I agree you can't just make the "best Zelda game" It's not as simple as just combining and perfecting each element and putting them all together and hope it works! A game can look great on paper but however in some eyes it may not be considered to be the best...

If I were to create my perfect Zelda game though I would like to see these aspects:
- Important plot line
- Great narrative
- HD realistic graphics
- Dark and light themes
- Amazing soundtrack
- Large overworld with a contrast of high content areas with empty landscapes
- High emphasis on exploration
- Bigger focus on character development
- Variety of puzzles
- Non-Linearity
- Upgradeable items
- More effective rupee system
- Day cycles
- Seasonal shifts
- Larger and more difficult dungeons
- Tougher bosses
- Clever AI
- More province's
- Large variety of races
- Dialogue options
- Plot twists
- More secrets and easter eggs
- Co-op side mode
- MQ side mode
- Leaderboards...
- More customization but not too much
- Multiple contol schemes
- In game events and weather system
- Fear factor in boss fights
- Make the villain act like Links arch enemy!
- More Dungeons as well as mini dungeons
- Optional side quests
- Bigger collection quests
- More save files
- Midna...
- Emotional cut scenes
- Event cut scenes
- Sailing as well as other forms of transportation
- Memorable soundtrack
- More emphasis on item usage outside of Dungons
- Give Npc's a story
- Side storys
- Larger minigames
- Variety of Dungeon layouts
- Grand scale boss rooms
- More open dungeons
- More bosses outside of Dungeons
- Make the final Dungeon unique and not a memory test
- Hidden skills to return
- Random encounters of mini bosses or tougher enemies in the overworld
- A helpful companion
- Bigger interaction between Link and other characters
- A possible love story between Link and Zelda (or other character)
- Game changing events
- Backstory on some characters
- Explain questions asked in other games
- For god sake touch on the Shiekah
- Givde the overworld more life
- Range of offensive and defensive weapons
- Greater use of the magic metre
- Elemental weapons
- More dynamic puzzles
- Large side quest
- Loads of content outside of main sidequest

I could keep going haha! As you can see this just proves that there are still a lot of things that need to be done to make the "best Zelda game" and lets say that all these elements are featured the still might not even considered the best!

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Best what Zelda game? Best 3D Zelda game? Best hand-held Zelda game? Because what I expect/want out of a handheld title isn't the same I would expect from a console, and aside from the OoT port the handheld games have all operated on the same top-down mechanic that console games dropped after FSA. I wouldn't want to entirely lose that, either, because I get far more replayability out of the more easy-going titles than I do out of the attention-grabbing console titles.

(I wouldn't want to call the console games time-sinks, because that sounds worse than it is. But they do ask for more than a handheld game tends to.)

Or, am I one of the minority in this case, and most everyone's attentions have moved 3D?

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
For me, they would have to outdo WW... and that wouldn't be an easy task. I think the reason I loved WW so much is cause of the sheer depth of content in the game AFTER you beat it. The story was mystic as well, and music was just amazing. The graphic were my all time favorite of the franchise. WW felt totally new... To me, the past 2 Zelda's (TP and SS) were amazing but didn't feel like a completely new experience. Make something completely new, add overwhelming value of content, and create a feeling of different in a good way, and thus you have a contender for the best Zelda ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom