• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your favorite music album?

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I'm not sure if this exists already, but even if it does, it's probably a few years old at this point so I might as well make a new one.

So, I know picking a favorite song is kinda difficult, since, at least for me personally, it changes with my mood. However, I find that picking a favorite album is easier. So my question is, what is your favorite album?

Personally, my favorite is They Might Be Giants' Apollo 18. My dad used to have the album in his car, and I can't even remember the first time I heard one of the songs off of it. That album is a huge part of my childhood, and is the reason I like TMBG as much as I do now. There were a few songs I hated when I was little (Namely, The Statue Got Me High), but now I love the entirety of the album. My favorite song off of it is Turn Around.

So, what about you?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I can't decide on a number one favorite but it's one of these 7:

Billy Talent III - Billy Talent
Meteora - Linkin Park
In Utero - Nirvana
The Sufferer & the Witness - Rise Against
.5: The Gray Chapter - Slipknot
Hypnotize - System of a Down
Mezmerize - System of a Down

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
DefinitelyMaybeOasis2PR200712.jpg

Easiest thread of mien life!

Definitely Maybe by Oasis, without a doubt. I think for a lot of kids my age, growing up where I did, this album, and Oasis in general, were huge inspirations, kind of like how the Stone Roses were to them. First album I ever bought myself, along with Morning Glory. Still holds up really well today, too.

willthecircle.jpg

The greatest country/bluegrass album of all time imo, an amazing collection of early stars including Roy Acuff, "Mother" Maybelle Carter, Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, Merle Travis, Pete "Oswald" Kirby, Norman Blake, Jimmy Martin and many others. It came out in 1972 and really marked the end of an era in country/bluegrass.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I'll list a few of my favorites and some pictures to go with.

Fail Emotions - Speed of Light (technically an EP)
maxresdefault.jpg

Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
ATRFinal.jpg

Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover.jpg

A Day To Remember - For Those Who Have Heart
VR337_ADayToRemember.jpg

I think that's about it.

キラ

Yo!
In no particular order:

WOLF - Tyler, the Creator

Wolf_Cover2.jpg

The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

The_Marshall_Mathers_LP.jpg

The Eminem Show - Eminem

The_Eminem_Show.jpg

Those are my three main favorites, I think. Though, even though I only listed 3 albums, I do like a lot of music.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Wow tough question. Here's my list anyway: (in no particular order)

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean

31YdBkc5qJL.jpg

Absolutely amazing, the lyrics, the storytelling, the meaning behind it all, the tone, Frank's voice, the beats. This album takes you on a journey. I always feel a good indicator of a great album is one that you can listen to at any time, anywhere, and during whatever you're feeling. This album can be listened to when you're sad, happy, annoyed, relaxed, excited, whatever.

Carter III - Lil Wayne

latest

Ok I get the jokes "Lil Wayne worst rapper alive lel", "If 2pac was still alive, Lil the Wayne would be working in McDonald's xDDDD" however, a lot of his hate is unnecessary. Even though I don't particularly like his recent self and some of his albums have been just awful, this album is one of the best rap/r'n'b albums ever. Period. This album proved rap can be listened to and enjoyed by everyone. It transcended rap's usual fanbase and became a huge hit among the pop-goers. The sheer amount of tracks that could be top singles prove alone how great of a rap album this is.

Camp - Childish Gambino

Childish-gambino-camp.jpg

Came out on my birthday first of all-- being serious though, this album is just wow. For what? A debut LP too? Amazing. It takes me back to early Kanye and that's the biggest compliment I can pay to Donald (aka Gambino). It's old school hip hop with a modern twist and I loved it.

The Documentary - The Game

Game_The_CD_-_The_Documentary.jpg

Probably my favourite hip hop album of all time. This was back when I first got into rap music, 2005, when I was just 11 years old, lol. From the first time I heard Hate it or Love it on the radio I was hooked. Such a great album with at classic west coast feel to it. Tracks like Dreams, How We Do, Westside Story, all classics.

Greatest Hits - 2Pac

51dMZ6YprAL.jpg

Even though I only got into hip hop in 2005, 2Pac was still an inspiration to me and the symbol of hip hop. One of the very first rap songs I listened to was Ghetto Gospel and the lyrics just spoke to me even at such a young age. 2Pac was the reason I'm a fan of rap, hip hop, whatever you want to call it. How many songs do I have to mention here? Hail Mary, Unconditional Love, Changes, Claifornia Love, Dear Mama, Keep ya head up... I know it's popular belief, but 2Pac is one of the greatest artists of all time and I'm not just talking hip hop.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
It's impossible to pick just one, so I'll name off several of my favorites in no particular order....

Foster The People - Supermodel
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Owl City - Ocean Eyes
Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman
Chevelle - Sci-Fi Crimes
Death Cab For Cutie - We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes

Now, I acknowledge that not every single one of these albums is the epitome of musical artistry, but these are some of the most important and influential albums to me personally and are therefore some of my absolute favorites.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
DefinitelyMaybeOasis2PR200712.jpg

Easiest thread of mien life!

Definitely Maybe by Oasis, without a doubt. I think for a lot of kids my age, growing up where I did, this album, and Oasis in general, were huge inspirations, kind of like how the Stone Roses were to them. First album I ever bought myself, along with Morning Glory. Still holds up really well today, too.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

My favorite band of all time!

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't really have a definitive favourite but these are the top with my reasons:

• Girls Girls Girls - Motley Crue
This album can cheer me up no matter what. So many great songs.

Tied up smiling, I thought you were happy
Never opened your eyes, I thought you were napping

Love that song. It's 'You're All I Need' and it is a bit morbid but I can listen to it over and over.
  • Elephant - The White Stripes
The White Stripes are the most important band in the world to me. They aren't together anymore but they hold a special place for me. They introduced me to so much of the music I love now by proxy and Elephant is the album that defines them as a band. Not the obvious song choice of Seven Nation Army for this album, but 'You've Got Her In Your Pocket' is beautiful.
  • Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
This was the last album Brian Jones was involved in but that isn't why it's my favourite, though it does have that very 'end of the sixties' feel to it. Some of my favourite Stones songs are on here - 'Gimme Shelter' the storm is threatening my very life together.
But 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' is glorious and 'You Got The Silver' is a song I'd consider dancing to at my wedding.

You got my heart
You got my soul
You got the silver
You got the gold

• Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones
Well, this is one of the less commonly chosen faves of the Stones but I couldn't leave it off the list because Sympathy For the Devil exists. I think the clincher for me is not only the whole feel of this album, but songs like 'Dear Doctor'.
Oh help me dear doctor, I'm damaged
There's a pain where there once was a heart

• Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes
This album is more experimental but it's filled with absolute gems like 'The Nurse', 'White Moon' (teary), and 'As Ugly As I Seem'. From 'The Nurse':

The maid that you've hired
Could never conspire to kill
She's to mother
Not quietly smother you
When youre most ill

• Appetite for Destruction - Guns n Roses
Just. Just all the epic. All the songs, every riff.
  • Nevermind - Nirvana
Duh, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', 'Lithium' (I'm so happy, cos today I found my friends, they're in my head), etc
  • Lazaretto - Jack White
A newer album, so many good songs, I just love it to pieces. Favourites are 'Entitlement', 'Just One Drink' and 'That Black Bat Licorice' (don't you want to lose the part of your brain that has opinions?)
  • Definitely Maybe - Oasis
I grew up with Oasis. The sun is out in their songs, that's all i can say.
I can't tell you the way I feel
Because the way i feel is oh so new to me

That lyric sums it up
  • Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Oh my god this album. Title track:
Finished with my woman cos she couldn't help me with my mind
People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time

And the harrowing tale of 'Iron Man'. 'Fairies Wear Boots'. This is like, a defining heavy metal album. I could listen to it all day.
  • Too Fast For Love - Motley Crue
Again, I can't even, because I love this album too much.
  • The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
This summarises my teenage years. It's dark, it's depressing, it takes itself seriously.

Even getting the list this short was tough!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Nevermind - Nirvana

Lol, yeah I'm pretty sure that is everyone's favorite Nirvana album. Thing is I hate it when people claim to like Nirvana but don't know about anything besides songs on Nevermind. Don't get me wrong, I like Nevermind, but I like all of Nirvana's other albums just as well. I personally like Bleach better though. Yeah, and smells like teen spirit, its a ok song, just wayyyy overrated. What about polly? Lithium? Breed? Come as you are? Those are all great songs just overshadowed by smells like teen spirit sometimes.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My favourite album is Avenged Sevenfold's Waking the Fallen.

It's kind of weird though. This album isn't fantastic by any means, since there are a lot of problems with it, yet it's still my favourite album of all time. Far from the best. The weird thing is that somebody who is really strict about "good" music (such as myself) would usually be turned off by an album with shaky vocals, weird drum sounds, somewhat random song structure, etc. But I don't know, there's just something about this album that I love. Can't really explain it.

Favourite song = I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 1

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Lol, yeah I'm pretty sure that is everyone's favorite Nirvana album. Thing is I hate it when people claim to like Nirvana but don't know about anything besides songs on Nevermind. Don't get me wrong, I like Nevermind, but I like all of Nirvana's other albums just as well. I personally like Bleach better though. Yeah, and smells like teen spirit, its a ok song, just wayyyy overrated. What about polly? Lithium? Breed? Come as you are? Those are all great songs just overshadowed by smells like teen spirit sometimes.

Sounds like somebody doesn't like the fact Nevermind crossed into the mainstream, let alone Smells Like Teen Spirit. Maybe the reason it crossed over was um, because it was a good song? Just a thought. I actually love both Bleach and especially In Utero,sorry to disappoint you by not being 'alternative' and 'different' and 'enough of a real fan' to predictable aim for one of the albums most people don't know so well. #hipstermindset

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Sounds like somebody doesn't like the fact Nevermind crossed into the mainstream, let alone Smells Like Teen Spirit. Maybe the reason it crossed over was um, because it was a good song? Just a thought. I actually love both Bleach and especially In Utero,sorry to disappoint you by not being 'alternative' and 'different' and 'enough of a real fan' to predictable aim for one of the albums most people don't know so well. #hipstermindset

You misunderstand. I'm not saying you aren't a real fan, I can't say that about you as I've never reallly talked with you. It sounds like you are a Nirvana fan, not too many people know about Bleach, or In Utero. I meant all that not calling out any particular person.

I never said Smells like teen spirit isn't a good song, it is. All I'm saying is that I wish people would expand out, and listen to Nirvana's other stuff besides just getting caught up in the very small bubble that is nevermind, nirvana has other great albums with great songs and I feel like people are missing out by only listening to Nevermind. I didn't mind Nevermind going mainstream, I just want people to look at Nirvana's other albums with that same love for Nevermind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom