• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite Animated Television Series?

The Simpsons. I don't watch it often--I don't really watch TV, period--but I always appreciate it whenever I do. Also really enjoyed FMA: Brotherhood.

Djinn

and Tonic
Since getting FXX added I have been watching more Simpson's episodes than just about everything else on tv combined.

I wish they would show Animation Domination more often, the original episodes of Golan the Insatiable are pretty great.

Dan

Rick and morty has recently hit my list, love how much fun it has with multiple dimensions and the many strange universes.
South Park
Wacky races

Sheik

:the:
Spongebob Squarepants (S1 - S3 and Movie)
South Park
The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra
(...honestly, I'm going to say Book One only. Maybe I'll explain why another time)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
(most people like one or the other better, but **** it, both are incredible and I can't possibly choose a favorite)
Death Note

"Mysterious Cities of Gold." It was some French/Japanese collaboration in the 80s. Now I have it on DVD!

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Dragonball Z, Regular Show, Johnny Bravo, Looney Toons, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Chowder, Kill La Kill, Pokemon, Ren & Stimpy, The Angry Beavers.

That's all I can think of for now. Reg Show is the best new with all it's craziness and '80's references. Looney toons forever though. Bugs Bunny.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Mini-rant first to clear things up:
The US has too much of a mentality that animated shows are just mindless comedies for young kids. Japanese animation, often called anime after the art style of the same name (really people need to stop using the term and grouping it like that, animation is animation), is different in that Japan doesn't have that mentality. They put a lot of work into their animated shows. And it's their medium of choice, often made to a higher level of quality than the majority of their live action shows. Because they don't have the "comedies for kids" mentality that the US has, and that they focus more on animation than live action, Japan has a large number of animated shows that are meant to appeal to all sorts of audiences. Some are for kids, yes, but others are targeted at teens, and others to adults, and others are for generally older than kids audiences. And because they do ti so much more, there's a wide variety of stories. Just like in the US, the vast majority of it is not going to appeal in the slightest to any individual person (so no more of that anime is so amazing talk). Since they have the larger volume, that means there will be more choices of shows that any given person will like. That is why when you look to Japanese animation there's usually something there for everyone.

That being said, I do like some of the animated comedy shows meant for older viewers in the US. Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama. But they're never something you sit and think "damn, I really want to watch the whole series again." I do have soft spot too for Danny Phantom and Invader Zim. Other than that the only purely American animated shows I like are Avatar the Last Airbender and its sequel series Korra. They stand out as the most intricate and detailed animated shows in the US that's not a dub of a Japanese show. I think more shows like it should be made following a similar model taking inspiration to things Japan is doing, but not necessarily having to use the anime artstyle. You can make a good show without it looking like it was made in Japan.

For Japanese animation, I haven't actually found many that I really, truly love enough to say I like it. But the first four seasons of Digimon I'd say counts. Those were amazing. Each one felt different and had its own strengths and flaws and I don't feel right saying one is better than the other. But definitely I didn't like any of the seasons after that. And I'm incredibly disappointed that the Adventure sequel is going to be a series of movies instead of a show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom