• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What is the giant bird ship?

We saw the mysterious flying island revealed in the 2016 Life in the Ruins trailer and whatbit actually is is a giant mechanical bird.

Beyond the fact it has sheikah design and is pink like Calamity Ganon and the Guardians, some people have thought it to be a dungeon, its certainly big enough.

But to look at it it clearly has moving parts. Its a giant mechanical bird it can probably land like a real bird would. Which means it can be on both land and ground, if this thing ever came home to roost we'd all be in trouble!

On the other hand some people think its a boss... well, why not both, BoTW wants to break conventions. Even if this bird isnt one of the rumoured 4 main dungeons but is perhaps a mini dungeon or bonus dungeon then i could not think of a better boss than the thing itself.

The sheer size of the thing would be imitating enough to fight before we even get into how we would actually try to take it out.

On the flip side, whatbif it could be an ally. What if at some point we can control the ship itself and reign some justice down on Calamity Ganon? Or again, perhaps piloting it would be the reward for beating it?

What say you all, now we know this thing is a giant mechanical bird what do you think its role and purpose are?

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
The first thought I saw was that it might be a part of a location, maybe for Link and his buddies to hang out on. Other than that, I feel like it could be some sort of weapon, too. Maybe like what you said, we could control it and have it act as an airship kind of thing. What if we could also upgrade the ship?

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
If the distant floating silhouette is the same thing as this, then there's quite a bit of stuff on top.
sdptx8oms1bsvlwsaddd.png

In accordance to the theory that this airship is hostile due to the pink glow around it, I've dreamt up the following scenario. At first, you will stay on top and sneak around to rid the evil (at least, in part) and gain the favor of the bird peeps. Then, once they've come to their senses, they tell you that the source of the evil is within the engines of the ship itself, and you must travel down there to discover a massive steampunk-style dungeon full of Calamity-Ganon's corruption that you must dispel. The End :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If the distant floating silhouette is the same thing as this, then there's quite a bit of stuff on top.
sdptx8oms1bsvlwsaddd.png

In accordance to the theory that this airship is hostile due to the pink glow around it, I've dreamt up the following scenario. At first, you will stay on top and sneak around to rid the evil (at least, in part) and gain the favor of the bird peeps. Then, once they've come to their senses, they tell you that the source of the evil is within the engines of the ship itself, and you must travel down there to discover a massive steampunk-style dungeon full of Calamity-Ganon's corruption that you must dispel. The End :)
That structure is massive. No way that is the airship from the trailer.The airship was big but that definitely looks like some kind of city in the sky. If the airship is related to that then I'd say it is big enough for it to dock there.

Nicolai

That structure is massive. No way that is the airship from the trailer.The airship was big but that definitely looks like some kind of city in the sky. If the airship is related to that then I'd say it is big enough for it to dock there.
The airship from the trailer looked pretty gargantuan to me, but we don't have a reference point, so we'll never know for sure.

I did notice that the airship in that shot in the trailer, for being overhead, had to be really really far away for it to be faded blue against the sky like that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The airship from the trailer looked pretty gargantuan to me, but we don't have a reference point, so we'll never know for sure.

I did notice that the airship in that shot in the trailer, for being overhead, had to be really really far away for it to be faded blue against the sky like that.
It's only faded for a bit it comes in to focus also. I'm not saying it isn't big but that one in the first shot you posted, considering the distance away it is. That's truly massive and citylike.
wp_ss_20161202_0001.png

I actually recon it is docked underneath in the first image. The way the 'talons' curl there seems to be that shape on the bottom left side of the structure in your first image.

Actually, I think Nicolai might be right. When I first saw that floating object, it felt like some sort of airship to me, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the mecha-elements throughout the game. Anyway, the mention of the talons actually argues the point. It quite possibly is the sideview of it. Studying the underside view of the airship from the latest trailer, and contrasting it to the first image seems reasonable that it fits the silhouette in the first trailer. It would be facing east. The head obviously is flatter than the rest of the body, so I can sort of see something taking shape, yeah. I'm on my phone right now so I'm not gonna make a visual of "topography lines" yet, but I'll get back to you.

Nicolai

In Zeltik's Bird Men theory video, he heightened the contrast on the image of the airship in the shot where it is farther away, which is certainly interesting. Notice how, instead of glowing pink along the seams, it's glowing blue.

20161202_181011_1.png

So therefore, in the scene where we see "Falco" flying up to it, it shows no signs of Ganon's corruption, whereas at a different point in the game, it is. Which I suppose is perhaps helpful information to anyone speculating about "Falco's" motivations or intentions, or those of the rest of the bird men.
It's only faded for a bit it comes in to focus also. I'm not saying it isn't big but that one in the first shot you posted, considering the distance away it is. That's truly massive and citylike.
View attachment 38167

I actually recon it is docked underneath in the first image. The way the 'talons' curl there seems to be that shape on the bottom left side of the structure in your first image.
I guess I disagree. The general shape of them both seem to match, but that's just me.

I dont have much to add but i do want to mention a little something. Firstly good spot by Zeltik there noticing thatbthe airship is seemingly two different scenes with it being blue first and pink second.

Though ive noticed when we get a close up of the ship when its pink it seems to be moving quite fast. This doesnt look like normal movement where it may just hover or gently glide. We can see wind streaks and the slight shaking of the camera indicating the forceful momentum at whichbits travelling.

This thing could probably pick up some impressive speed. I wonder if it is attacking during this scene or coming in to land.

With so many moving parts the ship seems to have i wonder if it may land at certain times of the day or even year if the season mechanic does exist.

Last edited:

Nicolai

With so many moving parts the ship seems to have i wonder if it maybland at certain times of the day or even year if the season mechanic does exist.
If that's the case, I sure hope there's an equivalent to the rod of seasons in this game. Imagine discovering that you need to be on the airship, and that it just left for Spring and won't be back till next Winter. "well, there's always next year," you say, and you leave the system on for hours upon hours until it comes back.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen, though. Even the waiting in Majora's Mask wasn't that bad.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I'm hoping that some of these Bird-folk-Ritos have become a group of sky pirates and we can fight 'em! :D Remember when Zoras were bad back in a link to the past? I want them to do that again... But with the Rito.

Tibari

Rinkuji
Obviously the mysterious flying island is the bird airship. Who cannot see the wings and the claws in any screen of the island in E3 demo?
Since it's a technologic airship, plus the fact that it will turn between blue light and purple light (like Guardians?), I now think it will be a dungeon or something like Bowser Jr. Airship, a mini dungeon full of automatics ennemies.

However when the airship is glowing blue, it may be a base or maybe something that will let you access some hidden part of the game? Or just a town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom