• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is It Today's Games Lack That Yesterday's Had?

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
Okay so I know this has probably been said a million times, but I seriously think something is missing from today's gaming market. I will be first to say I play almost all games on the market. From Halo to Zelda to Little Big Planet, you could say that I am a variety gamer. However, with that being said, I do like today's games. A lot. I think the best game last generation was Red Dead Redemption which I would have gave a solid 10 (which is a rare for me)... But when comparing RDR to the old classics like Super Mario World, Link To The Past, DKC 1 and 2, its like its not even in the same league. Games today dont have that "magic" they used to. I loved Super Mario Galaxy... But to me it was fun, not memorable. Colorful, but not engaging. Amazing, but not magical. In my eyes, the magic was lost halfway in the life cycle of the Cube. Theast game that had the magic to me was DKC Returns and that was THE ONLY one on Wii that did. I dont know what that magic is, but today's games as good as they are simply don't have it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's really only the so-called AAA multiplats that have taken a dip in quality. 1st party exclusives (besides Gears of War and God of War) have retained a remarkable level of quality, and if I'm being honest, the gap in quality between the GameCube and Wii is like that of the 360 and PS3. The Cube saw many long-time IP's take a dip in quality, namely Mario, Zelda, and Star Fox -- ESPECIALLY Star Fox. In many ways, comparing Sunshine to the Galaxy games and the GameCube Zeldas to Skyward Sword is insulting to the Wii games of these franchises. Sunshine had really irritating controls and level design, The Wind Waker had the ridiculously droning sailing, and Twilight Princess had... well, various smaller problems (too many to list). Galaxy was not only a revival for Mario, but a return to form, since it hearkened back to the more linear levels with branching paths along the way, and Skyward Sword, while slightly flawed, made significant strides in combat and dungeons on top of introducing many features that the series had needed for quite some time.

Sony exclusives were also stellar in the 7th generation. The PS2 ultimately had a much larger library, but games like Uncharted 2, MGS4, and The Last of Us were some of the greatest games of all time.

Again, it's third parties that have slacked off. They've pandered to the mainstream so hard that their games lack any sense of challenge and creativity. Nintendo and Sony, though? they're still as good as ever. Screw Microsoft, though. All they have is Halo.

Snoober

It's really only the so-called AAA multiplats that have taken a dip in quality. 1st party exclusives (besides Gears of War and God of War) have retained a remarkable level of quality, and if I'm being honest, the gap in quality between the GameCube and Wii is like that of the 360 and PS3. The Cube saw many long-time IP's take a dip in quality, namely Mario, Zelda, and Star Fox -- ESPECIALLY Star Fox. In many ways, comparing Sunshine to the Galaxy games and the GameCube Zeldas to Skyward Sword is insulting to the Wii games of these franchises. Sunshine had really irritating controls and level design, The Wind Waker had the ridiculously droning sailing, and Twilight Princess had... well, various smaller problems (too many to list). Galaxy was not only a revival for Mario, but a return to form, since it hearkened back to the more linear levels with branching paths along the way, and Skyward Sword, while slightly flawed, made significant strides in combat and dungeons on top of introducing many features that the series had needed for quite some time.

Sony exclusives were also stellar in the 7th generation. The PS2 ultimately had a much larger library, but games like Uncharted 2, MGS4, and The Last of Us were some of the greatest games of all time.

Again, it's third parties that have slacked off. They've pandered to the mainstream so hard that their games lack any sense of challenge and creativity. Nintendo and Sony, though? they're still as good as ever. Screw Microsoft, though. All they have is Halo.
o_O Okay you lost me man. To me God of War and Gears of War are the best offerings from Sony and Microsoft. They have such a powerful and engaging story that blows most out the water. Uncharted is good I'll give you that and Sony and Nintendo have amazing first party titles. However, Microsoft does too. In my eyes, Microsoft has the better games but Sony has a lot more good ones. Halo? Its awesome man. Idc what anyone says its story is simply unparalleled. Sunshine to me was amazing. The story was far different and everything about it was out of the Mario norm, but in my eyes its the greatest Mario game ever made. Same goes with Windwaker. I agree with TP. I hated it. The game felt as if it was just a simple carbon HD'd OoT done for the fans. I hated it. However, WW was far better than SS. SS was awesome to me... But the controls hindered it. Even though it implemented motion control better than any other game, I'd still much rather press buttons because I found that it still wasn't 100% accurate. Yes I agree that games today are still great... But compared to yesterdays classics they fall short.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Not many companies are takeing risks. They are sticking to what will sell.
Take a risk of killing of the MC.
Take a risk of the player failing at their quest.
Take a risk with a new battle system.
They need to take risks.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Nothing. People make this argument all the time and I think it's bollocks personally; we've had just as many good games as we have bad games every generation. If anything it's gamers who lack something these days, but I won't get into that.

I prefer games of today by far too, so I don't think today's games lack anything now. The Indie scene and how accessible game development now is has taken creativity and originality to a whole new level imo. The most creative place in gaming there has ever been is the Indie sections of Steam, XBL, PSN, and whatever Nintendo call their online place. And the larger developers are giving us bigger than ever experiences that I still love. People say creativity's dried up there but I also think that's bollocks, money issues are just more prevalent now and that still hasn't stopped us from still being given brilliant games. Been given some very engaging, deep games like The Last of Us, Witcher, Bioshock, to name just a few. So I don't agree with people's arguments regarding that either.

So really, I don't feel games lack anything now. I enjoyed games then, and I enjoy games now. :)

Salem

SICK
It might be because it's because there's FAR more games being produced nowadays, it's now harder to find quality games than before.

Snoober

It might be because it's because there's FAR more games being produced nowadays, it's now harder to find quality games than before.
I don't know... I mean I do agree that there are far more games being produced today... Back then it wasn't a set thing on what games were good and what games were bad. Think about it. Mario, Zelda, Halo, Metal Gear, and a few others are games that are almost always a good bet to be great games. However, back then you could go to the store and pick up a random game and chances are it was good. Games like Aladdin, Ducktales, Turtles In Time, and so much more weren't big names in the game industry yet were still classics even of their time. Today if you dont get the named games known for being good... Chances are you're getting a crappy game.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I don't know... I mean I do agree that there are far more games being produced today... Back then it wasn't a set thing on what games were good and what games were bad. Think about it. Mario, Zelda, Halo, Metal Gear, and a few others are games that are almost always a good bet to be great games. However, back then you could go to the store and pick up a random game and chances are it was good. Games like Aladdin, Ducktales, Turtles In Time, and so much more weren't big names in the game industry yet were still classics even of their time. Today if you dont get the named games known for being good... Chances are you're getting a crappy game.

Radiant historia, Dokapon kingdom, Pandora's tower, and so on.

Snoober

Radiant historia, Dokapon kingdom, Pandora's tower, and so on.
True, but they're so few and far between. Back then almost every game you could buy and enjoy. Today they're are so many bad that it really makes the good ones stand out.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
True, but they're so few and far between. Back then almost every game you could buy and enjoy. Today they're are so many bad that it really makes the good ones stand out.

Name some that you have picked up and have not enjoyed. I have enjoyed almost all games in my "demographic"

Snoober

Name some that you have picked up and have not enjoyed. I have enjoyed almost all games in my "demographic"

Hamtaro for GBA. Almost all Disney games suck. Even some high up games suck. Games just aren't made like they used to

o_O Okay you lost me man. To me God of War and Gears of War are the best offerings from Sony and Microsoft. They have such a powerful and engaging story that blows most out the water.

I don't know what you're talking about. God of War is one of the worst series ever created with a sh*t story to back it all up.

Nostalgia aside, I'm not sure if today's games are lacking something. It's more like everything original happened before so we're more or less seeing new skins applied to the same basic design. There are a few revolutionary games coming soon though, like Watch Dogs, so we'll see.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't really think this is the case.

If you look over the last 5 or 6 years and actually look at the amount of quality games then it has certainly improved. I don't think it's even arguable; this generation has seen more quality games than ever before and it's hard to argue against that. People are obviously going to look back with nostalgia and it makes the past seem more desirable. I look back at a game like Croc and see it as an amazing game. In reality though, I was six, very inexperienced, and the game--looking back--was quite poorly designed.

It's these sort of things that make the past seem much better than the present or more recent past. This isn't just the case with games as well; it's with music, TV, movies or even just life in general. People like to reminisce and associate past events as an escape from reality. I'm sure most of us in ten years time will look back at this generation and reminisce just as we do with older games nowadays.

Snoober

justac00lguy I'm sure most of us in ten years time will look back at this generation and reminisce just as we do with older games nowadays.[/QUOTE said:
I dont know about that. I think a handful of games today and ONLY a handful I will remember as classics. These include Halo 4, Gears 2 and 3, Red Dead Redemption and only a few others. I guess what I'm saying is classics are much harder to come now than back then. I look at the 64 and SNES and NES and see that most of the games released for them were instant classics. When looking at today's games you'll be lucky if you have 2 classics come out a year. And I dont care how old I get I will always dislike the Wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom