• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is "Hylian?"

ILU

i luv u
Even theory-wise, why use IRL biology in this case? In the world of Zelda, evolution and creation co-exist. Hylians were created, and they were created with long ears.

So why can't we assume the other races were created too? Evolution seems to happen rapidly and only if absolutely necessary (Zora to Rito), and even in that case, they can't fully become flying Rito without the direct aid of a god.

And to touch on the Gerudo:
Why should we believe that a make can only be born every 100 years? Maybe they off other males Sparta-style. Maybe it's a rule that doesn't really have any foundation, similar to Kokiri believing they'll die if they leave.
Or maybe it was poorly written. In FSA, they instead specify that a "special child" is born every century, rather than saying males are only born every 100 years.

The only question amongst this is how do Gerudos only have one male a century? That isn't something that's exactly naturally selected. And I don't see why they'd choose one male to cherish every century. How would they choose which one?
Also regarding the fact that Ganondorf is about seven feet tall. What Hylian is that tall? How are they related?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I've always made a distinction between humans, Hylians, and Hyrulians. I'm not really sure there's truly a distinction between Hylians and humans, but in Twilight Princess when you switch between link and his wolf form it gives you the option to a transform into a human. Weird, and quite likely a translation error, but the point stands. Possibly, it means that Hylians are a race of humans. I also distinguish between Hylians and Hyrulians. Hylians: people of the goddesses (Jews in Abrahamic religions). Hyrulians (also styled: Hyrulean): peoples (Goron, Zora, Zuna, Korok, Deku) living In the land of Hyrule.

The only question amongst this is how do Gerudos only have one male a century? That isn't something that's exactly naturally selected. And I don't see why they'd choose one male to cherish every century. How would they choose which one?
Also regarding the fact that Ganondorf is about seven feet tall. What Hylian is that tall? How are they related?
Because it's a Nintendo game not irl

It follows the logic of how the zeldaverse works. And in that case then theories shouldn't be based off of realism
I don't see how it follows that logic, hence my original post. Not all theories are based off of realism. They're mostly based off of the logic the game sets up, with a little real world logic thrown in here and there, considering that's the logic we know and have to base it off of.
I think the biggest issue is, if you don't agree with the concept of theorizing about Zelda, what are you doing on the Zelda Theory board?

I don't see how it follows that logic, hence my original post. Not all theories are based off of realism. They're mostly based off of the logic the game sets up, with a little real world logic thrown in here and there, considering that's the logic we know and have to base it off of.
I think the biggest issue is, if you don't agree with the concept of theorizing about Zelda, what are you doing on the Zelda Theory board?
It follows that logic...because it takes place in the zeldaverse, maybe? And yeah it does seem based off of realism because sure the way the Gerudo word wouldn't happen in real life, but it makes sense in Zelda.

And I do agree with theorizing lol. I come up with plenty of Zelda theories often.

It follows that logic...because it takes place in the zeldaverse, maybe? And yeah it does seem based off of realism because sure the way the Gerudo word wouldn't happen in real life, but it makes sense in Zelda.

And I do agree with theorizing lol. I come up with plenty of Zelda theories often.
My point isn't, It's not real, because it couldn't really happen.
Gorons can't happen. Talking trees can't happen. Magic can't happen. I'm quite aware.
I'm just back and forth on the fact that, given the theories of others, they choose a male every century, how does that work? How does he end up being essentially a half giant, while the women are not even six feet tall?
I think we're just mincing words here, mostly.

My point isn't, It's not real, because it couldn't really happen.
Gorons can't happen. Talking trees can't happen. Magic can't happen. I'm quite aware.
I'm just back and forth on the fact that, given the theories of others, they choose a male every century, how does that work? How does he end up being essentially a half giant, while the women are not even six feet tall?
I think we're just mincing words here, mostly.
Yeah, okay.

Well, as for the male every century, it seems like literally only one male is born every century and that becomes the leader. They survive by procreating with other races.

And idk, maybe the men just have some extreme height gene, or maybe they are normal sized, but the triforce of power makes Ganon real tall?

Yeah, okay.

Well, as for the male every century, it seems like literally only one male is born every century and that becomes the leader. They survive by procreating with other races.

And idk, maybe the men just have some extreme height gene, or maybe they are normal sized, but the triforce of power makes Ganon real tall?
We're saying the same thing. My question was to the people who are theorizing that males are regularly born, but purged, until once per century.
Although, the Triforce of Height would certainly be interesting.

The name 'Hylian' is clearly derived from the Goddess Hylia, and particularly seems to refer to humans descended from the goddess. I don't that's referring to humans descended from Skyward Sword Zelda, though; everyone in Skyloft has the long ears characteristic of the Hylian race. In other words, the race of humans that would come to be known as Hylians must have been descended from the actual goddess form of Hylia in ancient times. This also implies that there are other human groups outside of (the land that would become) Hyrule, such as the people of Holodrum and Labrynna, who lived on the surface the whole time Skyloft was in the sky. Otherwise, there would be no non-Hylian humans thin the Hylian bloodine and make it so rare in later games in the timeline (such as Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and A Link to the Past).

I mostly agree with this. I think the Hylians at least see themselves as descendants of their goddess Hylia - perhaps they aren't literally. In the same way the Romans believed they were descendants of Mars. Their name shows a belief in some sort of covenant relationship with their goddess - that their cultural identity is formed around being a "chosen people" compared to other human communities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom