• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What instruments do you play?

funnier6

Courage~
Haha my age was already in my info. ;)

But yeah, that's pretty much it. As far as real instruments go I've been known to play guitar, bass guitar, ukulele, mandolin, piano, accordion, xylophone, tambourine, maraccas, drums and mouth harp. And then I also whistle and sing. But I do use MIDI instruments quite a lot, so those I just play using the keyboard. (:

That's... quite a lot you've got going there. o-o What made you wanna learn all that? And how does one play the maracas anyway?

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Played and competed at the recorder from the age of 5 to 13/14 then switched to flute but haven't played for years. My bf got me an ocarina at the beginning of the year so working on that. Would love to learn piano as well

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
That's... quite a lot you've got going there. o-o What made you wanna learn all that? And how does one play the maracas anyway?
You'd be surprised. Maracas are actually a surprisingly technical instrument. As a matter of fact, the amount of technical skill that is included with truly good playing of a variety of smaller percussion instruments would probably shock you.

Anyway, if you couldn't tell, I'm a percussionist, primarily. I'm going into my third year of Drum set performance at a University, majoring in Jazz and Contemporary Popular Music. I started playing drums back in seventh grade for concert band, but I never took lessons and just stuck to jamming in my bedroom. Once I started school back in September of 2015, I had my first official lessons, and now I practice everyday. During school, I practice at least 3 or 4 hours a day, but since I've come home for the summer, I only get to play for around an hour or two, and not even every day. As I go to a school that focuses on a variety of styles, I'm a fairly strong player in almost any genre. I can also play a large variety of other percussion instruments, ranging from Djembe to Tambourine to Finger Cymbals. I am an active player in my school's percussion ensemble, and I also spent a lot of time this past year playing with a local Wind Symphony.

Going along with the above, my particular program also puts emphasis on mallet percussion (xylophone, marimba, glockenspiel, etc.). As someone with ten years of piano experience, mallet instruments came naturally to me. In high school, I did several solos, and I am one of the strongest Marimba players at my school. When we started in first year, I was the only one with experience, and the only one who knew how to read music, so I guess I had a head start. Unfortunately, I don't possess any true mallet instruments of my own, but I'm saving up to eventually purchase a MalletKat (an electronic, MIDI based mallet instrument that is able to be played with drum sticks).

Back in fifth or sixth grade (can't remember exactly), I started learning how to play the Piano. It was my first instrument, and coming from a very non-musical family, I progressed surprisingly quickly. I ended up obtaining my Grade 8 certification for Classical Piano, but I didn't go any further than that. Nowadays, I don't play as much anymore, due to playing drums full time, but I still do when I can. Mostly, nowadays, I just play video game music and other stuff like that, but I do also return to my Classical roots on occasion.

Aside from these, I can play a little bit of Guitar (I've learned a few chords from my friends), Bass, Trumpet (and most other brass instruments), Ocarina, and I recently started trying to pick up Panflute. I've also been told by many people that I have a good singing voice, but my technique is crap so I don't actually consider myself a singer, even though I do love singing a lot, and I've been working a lot on expanding my range lately.

Pen

The game is on!

I don't at all consider myself an expert by any means when it comes to most of those instruments. Some of the ones I listed I've only played for maybe one or two recordings for something. Guitar really is my one main. I prefer acoustic. :^^:

When I was a child I wanted to play the drums. My mother said no. So I chose the clarinet instead. I do want to get back into it one day and learn in proper

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I dabble with my keyboard from time to time and I also own an ocarina.

I got into music when I was around seven, and oddly enough I have Jack Black to thank for it. I remember watching the movie School of Rock and seeing all these talented kids playing instruments, and I thought I could do it too. My cousin taught me the basics on piano for a couple years and I really enjoyed it. After her instruction I would simply print sheet music from the internet and learn whatever songs I wanted to. I still practice occasionally when I have time, just for fun. :)

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm surprised at how many people know how to play an instrument on this forum. I wouldn't think that skill or hobby would be very popular.

If I were to attempt to reproduce a song I heard, I'd probably have to try humming it or singing it badly like a regular person. So technically speaking, my voice, but only at the level of an average untrained human singing in the shower.

Other than that, I have a limited ability to compose simple songs in Mario Paint using the SNES mouse. I don't know if that counts for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom