• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What I Thought About Skyward Sword

Yeah, I'm just going to talk about my thoughts on the game. Seems to be the trend nowadays. Okay.

There was one new feature in the game that I liked. Walking and aiming at the same time. I could get used to that. :) Well, I don't don't think Skyward Sword was a bad game, I had fun playing it, but it had many many flaws that make me think it's one of the weaker LoZ games. But I have to hand it to SS, how does a game have soo many flaws and still manage to be fun?
Don't worry Motion Controls fanboys, I wont touch that subject.

First of all, the big one, Fi. She is 90% of what's wrong with the game. She is the whole reason why I could not do hero mode. She single handedly destroyed the replay value of this game. I think she's proof that Nintendo hates us. Fi can only point out the obvious, she's a rip off of Midna (I didn't like Midna a lot either because she is nothing but a clone of Tatl), she tells me my batteries are about to die even though I could continue with those same batteries for like five more days, she beeps to tell me my hearts are low in addition to the classic Zelda low health beeping so now I have TWO annoying beeps, she feels the need to tell me my shield just broke as if I didn't just see my shield brake right infront of my eyes, she feels the need to repeat what a NPC just barely told me. She is annoying! Navi didn't annoy you during your first playthrough, she was only annoying on your other playthroughs, and even then I only thought she was a minor annoyance. Fi on the other hand was annoying on your first playthrough, but what's worse is I thought she was trying to kill me! During the battle with Demise, Fi flat out lies to you and says you shouldn't even bother doing a skyward strike, but that's exactly what you're suppossed to do! At that point I just wanted to kill Fi, I didn't care about Demise, Ghirahim, Zelda, or anything. I just wanted Fi to die! At the end of the game when Fi was "dieing" I was just happy she was finally going to shut up and be out of my life forever (unfortunately, I will never be able to look at the Master Sword the same way ever again...)
Okay, I'm done talking about Fi. Now to talk about the other flaws.
Realism.
-Why did my sheild brake? Your sheild never broke in any of the other games. The Deku Sheild wouldn't even brake! Were the sheilds in this game made out of cardboard and tinfoil?
-Why was there a stamina meter? Link never needed that before. I always thought that Link was some guy with crazy stamina. I always thought that was why he turned into a wolf in TP, because they both have amazing stamina. The stamina meter just made me think that SS Link was the wimpiest of all the Links.
-Why wouldn't the game pause while I was drinking potions? D: It was horrible! I just wanted to drink my potions in peace, but no! I have to worry about dieing while I'm drinking a potion! The game wouldn't even pause while I was trying to equipt a different item. D: I don't want that feature to appear ever again! :'(
Quite simply, realism doesn't really belong in LoZ games, or any game for that matter. Heck, Sims isn't even all that realistic! But we still love Sims.
Too easy. This game was not made with veterin LoZ gamers in mind. Do other companies try to reach out to the casual gamers by making their hardcore games easy? No, because they know that's a terrible idea. Nintendo already has more than enough casual games, they don't need to turn LoZ into one. The reason why I like Zelda-I and Zelda-II so much is because of how hard they are. In Zelda-I I can't find the second dungeon and in Zelda-II I can't even find the first dungeon! I'm lost and confused and I have no idea what to do, and I love it. Nintendo should go back to that.
Travel. Wind Waker. Phantom Hourglass. Spirit Tracks. Skyward Sword. What do these games have in common? Annoying travel that everybody hates! I applaud Twilight Princess for not following in Wind Waker's foot steps, TP is probably WW's exact opposite! TP is the last great LoZ game we had. Good for you TP! Nintendo needs to look back on their old LoZ games and see what worked for them, because travel is just atroshious.
Princess Zelda. Zelda-I. Zelda-II. A Link to the Past. Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask. Oracle of Seasons. Oracle of Ages. Wind Waker. Minish Cap. Twilight Princess. Phantom Hourglass. What do these games have in common? Zelda's role in the game is slim to none. Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword failed at trying to make me want to save Zelda. Nintendo, you don't need to do that. In all the other games the reason why I wanted to save her wasn't because I loved her, in fact I hate her, the reason why I wanted to save her was because I wanted to go through all those awesome dungeons. You need to go back to that Nintendo. Seriously.
Only one item slot. Uh, isn't the reason why there were two extra item slots in OoT 3DS because there were only two in Oot? Why give me only one? Seems like a bad idea.
Severe lack of items. I HATED that! I'm not sure what I hate more, Fi or the severe lack of items. Maybe Fi, but not by much.
Terrible enemy AI. The Bokoblins could only block your attacks if you Z-Targetted them, I learned that quickly and soon started cutting through them like a weed whacker.
Fairies. WTF They only restore six freakin' hearts! I remember the good old days when a fairy would restore all of my hearts, not just six! What a rip off! It was because of this that it felt like the game was forcing you to buy potions. I don't even like potions!
Overpowerfull Master Sword. I was shocked when I hit a Bokoblin and he went flying like ten miles. O.O Since when have Bokoblins been one hit kills? The Master Sword has never been that powerful.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Fi - Fi was what MADE Skyward Sword, for me anyways. Aside from Midna, who was given a lot of character depth, to someone like Navi, who was given very little character depth, Fi was a perfect mix. I'll agree that at some points she pointed out the obvious, and the beeping was insanely annoying, I didn't mind her all that much. Fi was a great character, and I loved her. <3

Realism - The Deku Shield can burn you know? It's most certainly not invincible like the Hylian shield. I thought the shield system worked fairly well. The Stamina meter actually makes it seem more realistic, not everyone is buff and strong to pace themselves for such a long time. The real time menu was a smart move.

Easiness - Skyward Sword was NOT easy, but it wasn't dramatically difficult. I thought the puzzles were pretty great in SS, but I won't lie that some enemies, and bosses were pathetic.

Travel - Traveling through regions, dungeons, and even the sky was fast and convenient. I enjoyed it very much. The Loftwing was an interesting concept, but I thought that they could have done more with it. Such as flying at night, and more attacks. SS doesn't need to follow into WW's footsteps.

Princess Zelda - I think you mean GODDESS Zelda. :right: She was portrayed SO WELL in this game, I can't even begin to describe it. Her character was so well driven, the romance, how dedicated she was to her role as the goddess, It was perfect. SS Zelda is quite possibly THE best Zelda there is. Her character was right on, and she just flowed naturally throughout the game. Nintendo scored some points there.

One Item Slot - It's hard to hold two items with one free hand. ;)

Severe Lack of Items - Actually, when you think about it, there were LOADS of items in SS. Treasure, Bugs, Bottles, Heart Pieces, Shields, Equipment, Medals, ect. There was plenty, and I was satisfied with that. I think they should have totally cut the item cutscene, that was annoying to no end.

Enemy AI - They still defend themselves regardless if you Z-Target. Which I thought was nice to have some enemy defenses, and offensives. Lizalfos, Bokoblin, Stalfos, ect.

Fairies - I'm GLAD they didn't completely heal you, but they did revive you. This made you use your potions more. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Overpowerfull Master Sword - Meh, it wasn't that powerful. It was fine the way it was. What were you expecting? I weak performance from the world's most ultimate sword? Yeahno.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Fi - She confirms everything you already know. She beeps a hell lot. She tells you when your batteries are near dead. She beeps a LOT. What isn't there to love? /sarcasm

Realism - I liked the shield breaking; it was a nice change from the "lulz buy Hylian Shield" thing you could do in Twilight Princess. Link even autoguards in TP, which made it a bit too easy.

Stamina gauge was nice, but I didn't like how they applied it to the spin attack but not regular sword strikes. If you're gonna try to pervade realism throughout the game, do it RIGHT! :lol:

I liked that the potions didn't pause the game. Potions broke me away from the action, so whenever I was doing a three heart run in a good Zelda game (because you know we can't do 3HCs in SS), whenever I drank a potion I might've got hit by an Iron Knuckle and got killed on the spot.

I also loved and hated the real time item selection. It caused many problems while I was in a battle trying to switch to a weapon, but it felt cool. I prefer the Item Wheel of TP, though.

Too easy DEFINITELY agree with you here. SS was far too easy of a Zelda game for me. I wasn't expecting an AoL out of Skyward Sword, but a decent challenge on the lines of Ocarina of Time was definitely what I was expecting. Unfortuantely, this game is easier than Twilight Princess for me. Pathetic, really.

Travel Didn't care for the Loftwing. It's a cool concept but in practice I found it completely boring. I felt more emotion out of Epona from OoT, and you don't do ANYTHING with her.

Zelda I agree with this as well. Making Zelda the focal point of Skyward Sword did the character no justice, and it did the game some negative points. In Spirit Tracks I felt compelled to save Zelda, I don't know why (previous history with her in TWW and PH maybe? xD). But in SS? She's some bratty, somewhat-witty little girl who incidentally harbors, or rather, IS a deity incarnated in human flesh. Besides her personal story, there was zero drive, zero motivation to save here. The inhabitants of the world below are completely oblivious to Ghirahim and his ravenous attempts at getting that woman. Screw Zelda in SS; I'd rather go to Skyloft and live my oblivious life up there. I easily prefer previous incarnations. Oh, you know what else? This Zelda couldn't even kiss Link. OoX Zelda did. AoL Zelda did. Why can't this one? Because she's dumb. The pseudo-ZeLink stuff that aerated Skyward Sword was a worse love story than Twilight. THAT is sad.

One Item Slot Can't agree here; button restraints on the Wiimote. Oh, and three item slots in OoT ;P

Severe lack of items Completely agreed.

Terrible enemy AI OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU FOR SAYING THIS. I hate hate HATE Skyward Sword's AI. Lovers of SS will comment on how it is better AI, and while that may be true, the enemies are more braindead than the truly braindead AI of previous games. They don't know how to attack, what the hell is up with that? They only serve to get in the way by the myriad manners of their blocking, nothing more.

Fairies Agreed. Fairies should restore you to full health, not the measly six in SS.

OP Master Sword To be fair, this is the Master Sword at its true height. The damage is reasonable since it recently gets blessed by useless plot device Hylia.

***​

If I may add a point, the Six Heart Start was a ridiculous addition. Way to kill further exploration, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Fi
I too found Fi annoying, but not enough to complain about her. But you are indeed correct. Her "clues" are not necessary most, if not all of, the time. I still like Fi as a character (until the very end) but her annoyingness (not a word) is a legit complaint.

Realism
At first I thought you were saying that these things didn't have enough realism to them, but then I read the rest of your post. I don't enjoy games that are too real (like sports games, racing games, certain FPS's, etc) but there is an audience who likes that so I can see why Nintendo tries it. There is also being too unrealistic to the point where it ruins the game, so its all about balance.

Too easy
I too thought it was too easy. I get why Nintendo is trying to make them easier for non-Zelda fans, and I'm not mad at them for experimenting, but I believe SS is the proof that its time to get out of this trend. It's also hard for us to say when a Zelda game is too easy because the more you play Zelda, the easier it is to find certain clues. But considering Nintendo tries so hard (and often times fail) to impress their committed fan base, this isn't a big excuse. There's also the balance. TP was incredibly easy, but it had alot of things that kept me from noticing the ease, (like walking on the freaking ceiling using magnetism). SS didn't have alot of things that draw attention away from the ease.

Traveling
You're entitled to your opinion to not like the traveling method (I actually highly dislike flying in SS) but it's not true that everybody dislikes them. For every Person that dislike the methods of traveling you've said, there's someone else who likes it. I've actually heard more people say they like ST traveling moreso than dislike.
I feel that SS's traveling method was fun at the beginning, but then became tedious because there weren't many ways to make going back and forth more interesting. Also the fact that you had to travel like this made it more annoying.

Princess Zelda
I feel Zelda was done well in SS. The point was to get you driven to rescue her and by making her more relatable and more important to the protagonist, this can be done. Zelda's character was done well as the stereotypical girlfriend, but I must admit, I didn't like it. I preferred the cliche perfect princess Zelda to the cliche girlfriend, but that's just a Personal preference. Making Zelda more apart of the story does not take away from the game, it just gives the player a purpose. If that purpose didn't drive you well...

One item slot
OoT allowed you to hold three items, but that's beside the point. I didn't find anything wrong with this, but I can see how someone could.

Severe Lack of Items
SS had an item for every temple (minus the final), items for extra events outside of the temples, and the extra items like medallions and such. I really can't agree with you in that it's lacking items.

Enemy AI
I don't know if this is true or not. Even if it is, its still an update from the enemies that didn't block your attacks at all in past Zelda games.

Fairies
I'm not really upset at this, it makes the game slightly more difficult. (But only slightly)

Over-powered Master Sword
I didn't feel it was overpowered, especially if the bokoblins are the main example considering the were supposed to be weak. Generally the field enemies are very weak and the Master Sword tends to make them seem weaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom